The thanatos mutation in Arabidopsis thaliana cellulose synthase 3 (AtCesA3) has a dominant-negative effect on cellulose synthesis and plant growth
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 1, pages 114–126, October 2009
How to Cite
Daras, G., Rigas, S., Penning, B., Milioni, D., McCann, M. C., Carpita, N. C., Fasseas, C. and Hatzopoulos, P. (2009), The thanatos mutation in Arabidopsis thaliana cellulose synthase 3 (AtCesA3) has a dominant-negative effect on cellulose synthesis and plant growth. New Phytologist, 184: 114–126. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02960.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
- Received: 3 April 2009Accepted: 19 May 2009
- 2004. Cellulose synthesis in maize: isolation and expression analysis of the cellulose synthase (CesA) gene family. Cellulose 11: 287–299. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular analysis of cellulose biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Science 279: 717–720. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Identification of novel genes in Arabidopsis involved in secondary cell wall formation using expression profiling and reverse genetics. Plant Cell 17: 2281–2295. , , , , .
- 2004. The CesA gene family of barley. Quantitative analysis of transcripts reveals two groups of co-expressed genes. Plant Physiology 134: 224–236. , , , , .
- 2002. Fully automated ab initio protein structure prediction using I-SITES, HMMSTR and ROSETTA. Bioinformatics 18 (Suppl.): S54–61. ,
- 2003. Reduced cellulose synthesis invokes lignification and defense responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 34: 351–362. , , , ,
- 2000. The cell wall. In: Buchanan, B, GruissemW, JonesR, eds. Biochemistry and molecular biology of plants. Rockville, IN, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, 52–108. , .
- 2007. Organization of cellulose synthase complexes involved in primary cell wall synthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 15572–15577. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Resistance against herbicide isoxaben and cellulose deficiency caused by distinct mutations in same cellulose synthase isoform CESA6. Plant Physiology 128: 482–490. , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. The genome sequence of black cottonwood (Populus trichocarpa) reveals 18 conserved cellulose synthase (CesA) genes. Planta 221: 739–746. , , , , .
- 2002. Cellulose biosynthesis in plants: from genes to rosettes. Plant Cell Physiology 43: 1407–1420. , , , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis mutant cev1 links cell wall signaling to jasmonate and ethylene responses. Plant Cell 14: 1557–1566. , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis mutant cev1 has constitutively active jasmonate and ethylene signal pathways and enhanced resistance to pathogens. Plant Cell 13: 1025–1033. , .
- 2000. PROCUSTE1 encodes a cellulose synthase required for normal cell elongation specifically in roots and dark-grown hypocotyls of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 2409–2423. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Alpha-glucosidase I is required for cellulose biosynthesis and morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Journal of Cell Biology 156: 1003–1013. , , , ,
- 2004. Global expression analysis of CESA and CSL genes in Arabidopsis. Cellulose 11: 279–286. , , , , ,
- 1983. Arrays of plasma membrane ‘rosettes’ in cellulose microfibril formation of Spirogyra. Planta 159: 347–356.
- 2000. A comparative analysis of the plant cellulose synthase (CesA) gene family. Plant Physiology 123: 1313–1323. , , , , , .
- 1998. Chemometric methods for classification problems. In: Discriminant analysis and class modelling of spectroscopic data. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 1–47. .
- 2002. Dimerization of cotton fiber cellulose synthase catalytic subunits occurs via oxidation of the zinc-binding domains. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 11109–11114. , , , ,
- 2006. Biosynthesis of plant cell wall polysaccharides – a complex process. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 621–630. , , ,
- 1980. Evidence for an intramembrane component associated with a cellulose microfibril-synthesizing complex in higher plants. Journal of Cell Biology 84: 315–326. ,
- 2006. Dynamic visualization of cellulose synthase demonstrates functional association with cortical microtubules. Science 312: 1491–1495. , ,
- 1996. Higher plants contain homologs of the bacterial celA genes encoding the catalytic subunit of cellulose synthase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 12637–12642. , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic evidence for three unique components in primary cell-wall cellulose synthase complexes in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 15566–15571. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification of genes required for cellulose synthesis by regression analysis of public microarray data sets. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8633–8638. , , , , .
- 2000. Higher plant cellulose synthases. Genome Biology 4: 30011–30016.
- 1997. Identification of cellulose synthase(s) in higher plants: sequence analysis of processive β-glycosyltransferases with the common motif ‘D,D, D35Q(R,Q)XRW’. Cellulose 4: 33–49. , .
- 2001. Structure-function characterization of cellulose synthase: relationship to other glycosyltransferases. Phytochemistry 57: 1135–48. , ,
- 2001. Modifications of cellulose synthase confer resistance to isoxaben and thiazolidinone herbicides in Arabidopsis ixr1 mutants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 10079–10084. , , , ,
- 2001. COBRA encodes a putative GPI-anchored protein, which is polarly localized and necessary for oriented cell expansion in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 15: 1115–1127. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interactions among three distinct CesA proteins essential for cellulose synthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 1450–1455. , , , , .
- 2000. Multiple cellulose synthase catalytic subunits are required for cellulose synthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 2529–2540. , , .
- 1999. The irregular xylem3 locus of Arabidopsis encodes a cellulose synthase required for secondary cell wall synthesis. Plant Cell 11: 769–780. , , , , .
- 1969. Semi-micro determination of cellulose in biological materials. Analytical Biochemistry 32: 420–424. .
- 2001. β-D-Glycan synthases and the CesA gene family: lessons to be learned from the mixed-linkage (1→3),(1→4) β-D-glucan synthase. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 145–160. , .
- 2006. Chimeric proteins suggest that the catalytic and/or C-terminal domains give CesA1 and CesA3 access to their specific sites in the cellulose synthase of primary walls. Plant Physiology 142: 685–695. , , , , .
- 2004. Progress in understanding the role of microtubules in plant cells. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 651–660. .
- 2003. Expression of a mutant form of cellulose synthase AtCesA7 causes dominant negative effect on cellulose biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 132: 786–795. , , , , .