Observing 13C labelling kinetics in CO2 respired by a temperate grassland ecosystem
Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 2, pages 376–386, October 2009
How to Cite
Gamnitzer, U., Schäufele, R. and Schnyder, H. (2009), Observing 13C labelling kinetics in CO2 respired by a temperate grassland ecosystem. New Phytologist, 184: 376–386. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02963.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2009
- Received: 13 March 2009Accepted: 22 May 2009
- 1969. Multicompartment models in biological systems. London, UK: Methuen & Co. Ltd. .
- 2009. Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotopic composition on a diurnal timescale? New Phytologist 182: 451–460. , , , ,
- 1989. A wind-tunnel study to design large, open-top chambers for whole-tree pollutant exposure experiments. Japca – The Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 39: 1549–1556. , , .
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level 14C pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 176: 124–135. , .
- 2006. Reconciling carbon-cycle concepts, terminology, and methods. Ecosystems 9: 1041–1050. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1983. Natural 13C abundance as a tracer for the determination of leaf matter turn-over in C3 plants. Physiologie Vegetale 21: 723–729. , ,
- 1992. Leaf life spans in wild perennial herbaceous plants – a survey and attempts at a functional interpretation. Oecologia 89: 10–16. , ,
- 2003. Cross validation of open-top chamber and eddy covariance measurements of ecosystem CO2 exchange in a Florida scrub-oak ecosystem. Global Change Biology 9: 84–95. , , , , , .
- 1998. An open-top chamber for measuring soil respiration and the influence of pressure difference on CO2 efflux measurement. Functional Ecology 12: 319–325. , .
- 1980. Measurement of translocation. Methods in Enzymology 69: 561–571. .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: A review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2008. Soil temperature affects carbon allocation within arbuscular mycorrhizal networks and carbon transport from plant to fungus. Global Change Biology 14: 1181–1190. , , , .
- 2006. Respiration of the external mycelium in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis shows strong dependence on recent photosynthates and acclimation to temperature. New Phytologist 171: 159–170. , , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Towards a more plant physiological perspective on soil ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 548–554. , .
- 1996. Compartmental analysis in biology and medicine. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Publishing Company.
- 2002. In situ 13CO2 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 1974. Field chamber measurements of CO2 flux from soil surface. Soil Science 118: 233–237. , , .
- 2006. Sources of CO2 efflux from soil and review of partitioning methods. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 425–448.
- 1993. Open top chambers for exposing plant canopies to elevated CO2 concentration and for measuring net gas-exchange. Vegetatio 104: 3–15. , .
- 2008. Root and shoot respiration of Perennial Ryegrass are supplied by the same substrate pools: assessment by dynamic 13C labeling and compartmental analysis of tracer kinetics. Plant Physiology 148: 1148–1158. , , , ,
- 2005. Allocation of reserve-derived and currently assimilated carbon and nitrogen in seedlings of Helianthus annuus under subambient and elevated CO2 growth conditions. New Phytologist 168: 613–621. , ,
- 1996. Tissue flows in grazed plant communities. In: Hodgson J, Illius AW, eds. The ecology and management of grazing systems. Wallingford, UK: Cab International, 3–36. ,
- 2000. Controlled-environment sunlit plant growth chambers. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 19: 347–375. , , .
- 1995. Enclosure-based measurement of trace gas exchange: applications and sources of error. In: Matson PA, Harriss RC, eds. Biogenic trace gases: Measuring emissions from soil and water. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science, 14–51. , .
- 2004. Growth and maintenance respiration for individual plants in hierarchically structured canopies of Medicago sativa and Helianthus annuus: the contribution of current and old assimilates. New Phytologist 164: 305–316. , ,
- 1999. The effects of chamber pressurization on soil-surface CO2 flux and the implications for NEE measurements under elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 5: 269–281. , , , .
- 1994. A critical-review of labeling techniques used to quantify rhizosphere carbon-flow. Plant and Soil 166: 55–62. .
- 2004. Respiratory carbon metabolism following illumination in intact french bean leaves using 13C/12C isotope labeling. Plant Physiology 136: 3245–3254. , , ,
- 2000. Carbon assimilation and turnover in grassland vegetation using an in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 14: 1345–1350. , , ,
- 2006. Measuring multiple fluxes through plant metabolic networks. Plant Journal 45: 490–511. ,
- 2005. Interpreting, measuring, and modeling soil respiration. Biogeochemistry 73: 3–27. , .
- 1976. Synthetic and maintenance respiratory losses of 14CO2 in uniculm barley and maize. Annals of Botany 40: 571–586. , , .
- 2000. Ecological significance of leaf life span among Central European grass species. Oikos 91: 41–50. ,
- 1991. The influence of open-top chambers on the growth and development of field bean. New Phytologist 117: 439–447. , , .
- 2003. Disentangling CO2 fluxes: direct measurements of mesocosm-scale natural abundance 13CO2/12CO2 gas exchange, 13C-discrimination, and labelling of CO2 exchange flux components in controlled environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1863–1874. , , ,
- 2004. Mobile, outdoor continuous-flow isotope-ratio mass spectrometer system for automated high-frequency 13C- and 18O-CO2 analysis for Keeling plot applications. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 18: 3068–3074. , ,
- 2006. Hair of grazing cattle provides an integrated measure of the effects of site conditions and inter-annual weather variability on δ13C of temperate humid grassland. Global Change Biology 12: 1–15. , , ,
- 2006. Trends and methodological impacts in soil CO2 efflux partitioning: A metaanalytical review. Global Change Biology 12: 921–943. , , .
- 2004. Contribution of current carbon assimilation in supplying root exudates of Lolium perenne measured using steady-state 13C labelling. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 434–441. , , , , .
- 2006. Carbon respired by terrestrial ecosystems – recent progress and challenges. Global Change Biology 12: 141–153. .
- 2002. Root life spans of four grass species from habitats differing in nutrient availability. Functional Ecology 16: 198–203. ,