Fitness effects and genetic architecture of plant–herbivore interactions in sunflower crop–wild hybrids
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 828–841, December 2009
How to Cite
Dechaine, J. M., Burger, J. C., Chapman, M. A., Seiler, G. J., Brunick, R., Knapp, S. J. and Burke, J. M. (2009), Fitness effects and genetic architecture of plant–herbivore interactions in sunflower crop–wild hybrids. New Phytologist, 184: 828–841. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02964.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2009
- Received: 31 March 2009, Accepted: 28 May 2009
- 2001. Seed size variation and predation of seeds produced by wild and crop–wild sunflowers. American Journal of Botany 88: 623–627. , , , .
- 1994. Gene flow between cultivated and wild sunflowers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 89: 655–660. , .
- 2008. Selection on domestication traits and quantitative trait loci in crop–wild sunflower hybrids. Molecular Ecology 17: 666–677. , , , , .
- 1964. An analysis of transformations. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 26: 211–243. , .
- 1990. A damage index for estimating yield loss in sunflowers caused by sunflower midge. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 71: 81–85. .
- 2008. A TCP domain transcription factor controls flower type specification along the radial axis of the Gerbera (Asteraceae) inflorescence. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 9117–9122. , , , , ,
- 2002a. The potential for gene flow between cultivated and wild sunflower (Helianthus annuus) in the United States. American Journal of Botany 89: 1550–1552. , , .
- 2002b. Genetic analysis of sunflower domestication. Genetics 161: 1257–1267. , , , .
- 2006. Natural variation for carbohydrate content in Arabidopsis. Interaction with complex traits dissected by quantitative genetics. Plant Physiology 141: 1630–1643. , , , , ,
- 2007. Competition alters life history and increases the relative fecundity of crop–wild radish hybrids (Raphanus spp.). New Phytologist 173: 648–660. , .
- 2006. Letting the gene out of the bottle: the population genetics of genetically modified crops. New Phytologist 170: 429–443. , .
- 2008a. Positive selection and expression divergence following gene duplication in the sunflower CYCLOIDEA gene family. Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 1260–1273. , , .
- 2008b. A genomic scan for selection reveals candidates for genes involved in the evolution of cultivated sunflower (Helianthus annuus). Plant Cell 20: 2931–2945. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 1985. Genetic engineering in agriculture. Science 229: 111–112. , , , ,
- 1999. The TCP domain: a motif found in proteins regulating plant growth and development. Plant Journal 18: 215–222. , , ,
- 1999. Increased pre-dispersal seed predation in sunflower crop-wild hybrids. Oecologia 121: 330–338. , , .
- 1975. Weeds and domesticates – evolution in man-made habitat. Economic Botany 29: 99–107. , .
- 1997. The evolution of apical dominance in maize. Nature 386: 485–488. , ,
- 2009. Ca2+/calmodulin regulates salicylic-acid-mediated plant immunity. Nature 457: 1154–1159. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Dangerous liaisons? When cultivated plants mate with their wild relatives. Baltimore, MD, USA: The Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1999. Gene flow and introgression from domesticated plants into their wild relatives. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 30: 539–563. , , .
- 1992. Consequences of variation in flowering phenology for seed head herbivory and reproductive success in Erigeron glaucus (Compositae). Oecologia 89: 588–595. ,
- 2006. Control of petal shape and floral zygomorphy in Lotus japonicus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 4970–4975. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Aster models for life history analysis. Biometrika 94: 415–426. , , .
- 1985. Genetic engineering of plants for herbicide resistance: status and prospects. In: HalvorsonHO, PramerD, RogulM, eds. Engineered organisms and the environment: scientific issues. Washington, DC, USA: American Society for Microbiology, 47–53. ,
- 1999. Tandem constructs: preventing the rise of superweeds. Trends in Biotechnology 17: 361–366.
- 1997. Sunflower Diseases. In: SchneiterAA, ed. Sunflower Technology and Production. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Crop Science Society of America, Inc., Soil Science Society of America, Inc., 263–379. , , .
- 2004. Population genetics of transgene containment. Ecology Letters 7: 213–220. , , .
- 2007. Introgression potential of downy mildew resistance from lettuce to Lactuca serriola and its relevance for plant fitness. Basic and Applied Ecology 8: 135–146. , , , , .
- 1994. Post-dispersal seed predation in grassland: its magnitude and sources of variation. The Journal of Ecology 82: 645–652. .
- 1986. Native seed preferences of shrub–steppe rodents, birds and ants: the relationships of seed attributes and seed use. Oecologia 68: 327–337. , , , .
- 2008. Regulatory genes control a key morphological and ecological trait transferred between species. Science 322: 1116–1119. , , , , , , , .
- 1944. The estimation of map distance from recombination values. Annals of Eugenics 12: 172–175. .
- 1998. Long-term introgression of crop genes into wild sunflower populations. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 96: 339–347. , , , , .
- 1996. Origin of floral asymmetry in flowers of Antirrhinum. Nature 383: 794–799. , , , ,
- 2001. Mapping quantitative genetic trait loci in plants: uses and caveats for evolutionary biology. Nature Reviews Genetics 2: 370–381.
- 2007. Stress and domestication traits increase the relative fitness of crop-wild hybrids in sunflower. Ecology Letters 10: 383–393. , , , .
- 2006. Effects of competition on the fitness of wild and crop-wild hybrid sunflower from a diversity of wild populations and crop lines. Evolution 60: 2044–2055. , , .
- 2000. Origin and evolution of invasive naturalized material of Rhododendron ponticum L. in the British Isles. Molecular Ecology 9: 541–556. , .
- 1996. Sabal palmetto seed size: causes of variation, choice of predators, and consequences for seedlings. Oecologia 106: 539–543. .
- 2004. How species evolve collectively: implications of gene flow and selection for the spread of advantageous alleles. Molecular Ecology 13: 1341–1356. , .
- 1999. Fructose-2,6-biphosphate and control of carbohydrate metabolism in eukaryotes. Biofactors 10: 1–14. , .
- 1997. The spread of an advantageous allele across a barrier: the effects of random drift and selection against heterozygotes. Genetics 145: 493–504. , .
- 2000. Herbivory and natural selection on flowering phenology in wild sunflower, Helianthus annuus. Oecologia 122: 72–82.
- 2002. Compensation for herbivory in wild sunflower: response to simulated damage by the head-clipping weevil. Ecology 83: 3097–3107. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2001. The biological reality of species: gene flow, selection, and collective evolution. Taxon 50: 47–67. , .
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 209–235. , .
- SAS. 2001. SAS/Stat user's guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute.
- 2008. Unifying life history analyses for the inference of fitness and population growth. The American Naturalist 172: E35–E47. , , , , .
- 2003. A Bt transgene reduces herbivory and enhances fecundity in wild sunflowers. Ecological Applications 13: 279–286. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The OsTB1 gene negatively regulates lateral branching in rice. Plant Journal 33: 515–520. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Impact of ecological factors on the initial invasion of Bt transgenes into wild populations of birdseed rape (Brassica rapa). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 109: 806–814. , , , , , .
- 2008. Inheritance of quantitative resistance to downy mildew (Plasmopara halstedii) in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Euphytica 164: 561–570. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Windows QTL CARTOGRAPHER, version 2.5. Raleigh, NC, USA: NCSU Statistical Genetics. , , .
- 2006. The ecological effects of exotic disease resistance genes introgressed into British gooseberries. Oecologia 147: 69–75. ,
- 1997. The persistence of cultivar alleles in wild populations of sunflowers five generations after hybridization. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 95: 33–40. , , , , .
- 2002. A calmodulin-binding/CGCG box DNA-binding protein family involved in multiple signaling pathways in plants. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 45049–45058. , .