Evidence supporting the existence of l-arginine-dependent nitric oxide synthase activity in plants
Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 1, pages 9–14, October 2009
How to Cite
Corpas, F. J., Palma, J. M., Del Río, L. A. and Barroso, J. B. (2009), Evidence supporting the existence of l-arginine-dependent nitric oxide synthase activity in plants. New Phytologist, 184: 9–14. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02989.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2009
- 2001. Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibition. Biochemical Journal 357: 593–615. , , .
- 2007. Death don't have no mercy and neither does calcium: Arabidopsis CYCLIC NUCLEOTIDE GATED CHANNEL2 and innate immunity. Plant Cell 19: 1081–1095. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Measurement of nitric oxide in biological samples. The FASEB Journal 7: 349–360.
- 1999. Localization of nitric-oxide synthase in plant peroxisomes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 36729–36733. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Involvement of reactive nitrogen and oxygen species (RNS and ROS) in sunflower-mildew interaction. Plant Cell Physiology 50: 265–279. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cellular and subcellular localization of endogenous nitric oxide in young and senescent pea plants. Plant Physiology 136: 2722–2733. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Constitutive arginine-dependent nitric oxide synthase activity in different organs of pea seedlings during plant development. Planta 224: 246–254. , , , , , , , .
- 2008a. Localization of S-nitrosothiols and assay of nitric oxide synthase and S-nitrosoglutathione reductase activity in plants. Methods in Enzymology 437: 559–572. , , , , , , .
- 2008b. Metabolism of reactive nitrogen species in pea plants under abiotic stress conditions. Plant & Cell Physiology 49: 1711–1722. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Response to Zemojtel et al.: Plant nitric oxide synthase: back to square one. Trends in Plant Science 11: 526–527. , , , , ,
- 1996. Presence of nitric oxide synthase activity in roots and nodules of Lupinus albus. FEBS Letters 398: 159–164. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in plant disease resistance. Nature 394: 585–588. , , ,
- 1998. Defense gene induction in tobacco by nitric oxide, cyclic GMP, and cyclic ADP-ribose. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 10328–10333. , , .
- 1960. Utilization of nitric oxide by microorganisms and higher plants. Nature 188: 794–796. , .
- 2008. Arginase-negative mutants of Arabidopsis exhibit increased nitric oxide signaling in root development. Plant Physiology 147: 1936–1946. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hunting for plant nitric oxide synthase provides new evidence of a central role for plastids in nitric oxide metabolism. Plant Cell 21: 18–23. , , ,
- 2005. Arabidopsis nitric oxide synthase1 is targeted to mitochondria and protects against oxidative damage and dark-induced senescence. Plant Cell 17: 3436–3450 , .
- 2003. Identification of a plant nitric oxide synthase gene involved in hormonal signaling. Science 302: 100–103. , , .
- 2008. Role of nitric oxide dependence on nitric oxide synthase-like activity in the water stress signaling of maize seedling. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 50: 435–442. , , .
- 2005. The role and the interrelationship of hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide in the UV-B-induced stomatal closure in broad bean. Functional Plant Biology 32: 237–247. , , , ,
- 2004. Nitric oxide represses the Arabidopsis floral transition. Science 305: 1968–1971. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Chloroplasts as a nitric oxide cellular source. Effect of reactive nitrogen species on chloroplastic lipids and proteins. Plant Physiology 142: 1246–1255. , , ,
- 1979. Nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) emissions from herbicide-treated soybean plants. Atmospheric Environment 13: 537–542. .
- 2004. Retraction for Chandok et al., Suppression of pathogen-inducible NO synthase (iNOS) activity in tomato increases susceptibility to Pseudomonas syringae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 16081. , , .
- 2005. Monomeric inducible nitric oxide synthase localizes to peroxisomes in hepatocytes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 13837–13842. , , , , , .
- 2008. Innate immunity signaling: cytosolic Ca2+ elevation is linked to downstream nitric oxide generation through the action of calmodulin or a calmodulin-like protein. Plant Physiology 148: 818–828. , , , , .
- 2005. Nitrite as the major source of nitric oxide production by Arabidopsis thaliana in response to Pseudomonas syringae. FEBS Letters 579: 3814–3820. , , , ,
- 2002. Nitric oxide synthase-mediated phytoalexin accumulation in soybean cotyledons in response to the Diaporthe phaseolorum f. sp. meridionalis elicitor. Plant Physiology 130: 1288–1297. , , ,
- 1989. Biosynthesis of nitric oxide from L-arginine. A pathway for the regulation of cell function and communication. Biochemical Pharmacology 38: 1709–1715. , , .
- 2008. AtNOS/AtNOA1 is a functional Arabidopsis thaliana cGTPase and not a nitric-oxide synthase. Journal Biological Chemistry 283: 32957–32967. , , , , .
- 2008a. Nitric oxide, stomatal closure, and abiotic stress. Journal Experimental Botany 59: 165–176. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008b. Nitric oxide evolution and perception. Journal Experimental Botany 59: 25–35. , , , , ,
- 2002. Nitric oxide is a novel component of abscisic acid signaling in stomatal guard cells. Plant Physiology 128: 13–16. , , , .
- 1996. Indications for the occurrence of nitric oxide synthases in fungi and plants and the involvement in photoconidiation of Neurospora crassa. Photochemistry and Photobiology 64: 393–398. ,
- 1987. Nitric oxide release accounts for the biological activity of endothelium-derived relaxing factor. Nature 327: 524–526. , ,
- 2005. Nitric oxide emission from tobacco leaves and cell suspensions: rate limiting factors and evidence for the involvement of mitochondrial electron transport. Plant Journal 41: 732–743. , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide is involved in growth regulation and re-orientation of pollen tubes. Development 131: 2707–2714. , , .
- 1999. Growth phase-dependent subcellular localization of nitric oxide synthase in maize cells. FEBS Letters 445: 283–286. , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of nitric oxide (NO) production by plant nitrate reductase in vivo and in vitro. Journal Experimental Botany 53: 103–110. , , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide and nitric oxide synthase activity in plants. Phytochemistry 65: 783–792. , , .
- 2005. Tetrahydrofolate biosynthesis and distribution in higher plants. Biochemical Society Transactions 33: 758–762. , ,
- 2004. Nitric oxide generation during early germination of sorghum seeds. Plant Science 167: 839–847. , ,
- 2001. A plasma membrane-bound enzyme of tobacco roots catalyses the formation of nitric oxide from nitrite. Planta 212: 835–841. , , , ,
- 2002. Peroxisomal localization of inducible nitric oxide synthase in hepatocytes. Hepatology 36: 81–93. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Purification and characterization of a nitric-oxide synthase from rat liver mitochondria. Journal Biological Chemistry 273: 11044–11048. ,
- The Arabidopsis Genome Initiative. 2000. Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 408: 796–815.
- 2007. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) underlies aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Hibiscus moscheutos. New Phytologist 174: 322–331. , , , .
- 2007. Interference with the citrulline-based nitric oxide synthase assay by argininosuccinate lyase activity in Arabidopsis extracts. FEBS Journal 274: 4238–4245. , , , , , , .
- 2009. An increase in the concentration of abscisic acid is critical for nitric oxide-mediated plant adaptive responses to UV-B irradiation. New Phytologist 181: 871–879. , ,
- 2007. Nitrosative stress in plants. FEBS Letters 581: 453–461. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant iNOS: conquest of the Holy Grail. Trends Plant Science 8: 465–468. , ,
- 2008. Nitric oxide synthesis and signalling in plants Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 622–631. , , .
- 2008. Extracellular ATP-induced NO production and its dependence on membrane Ca2+ flux in Salvia miltiorrhiza hairy roots. Journal Experimental Botany 59: 4007–4016. , .
- 2009. Spatial-temporal distribution of nitric oxide involved in regulation of phenylalanine ammonialyase activation and Taxol production in immobilized Taxus cuspidata cells. Journal Biotechnology 139: 222–228. , ,
- 2004. Determination of nitric oxide in biological samples. Microchimica Acta 147: 1–20. , , .
- 2004. Innate immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana: lipopolysaccharides activate nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and induce defense genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 15811–15816. , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Plant nitric oxide synthase: a never-ending story? Trends Plant Science 11: 524–525. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2003. Nitric oxide does not trigger early programmed cell death events but may contribute to cell-to-cell signaling governing progression of the Arabidopsis hypersensitive response. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 962–972. , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide synthase-dependent nitric oxide production is associated with salt tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 144: 206–217. , , .