Massively parallel 454 sequencing indicates hyperdiverse fungal communities in temperate Quercus macrocarpa phyllosphere
Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 2, pages 438–448, October 2009
How to Cite
Jumpponen, A. and Jones, K. L. (2009), Massively parallel 454 sequencing indicates hyperdiverse fungal communities in temperate Quercus macrocarpa phyllosphere. New Phytologist, 184: 438–448. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02990.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2009
- Received: 16 April 2009Accepted: 19 June 2009
- 2007. Understanding the diversity of foliar fungal endophytes: progress, challenges and frontiers. Fungal Biology Reviews 21: 51–66. .
- 2008. Endophytic fungi: hidden components of tropical community ecology. In: Schnitzer S, Carson W, eds. Tropical forest community ecology. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 254–271. .
- 2007. Diversity and phylogenetic affinities of foliar fungal endophytes in loblolly pine inferred by culturing and environmental PCR. Mycologia 99: 185–206. , , , ,
- 2007. Diversity and host range of foliar fungal endophytes: are tropical leaves biodiversity hotspots? Ecology 88: 541–549. ,
- 2000. Are tropical endophytes hyperdiverse? Ecology Letters 3: 267–274. , , , , .
- 1992. On the use of some methods for the estimation of species richness. Oikos 65: 484–492.
- 1999. Birds and butterflies along an urban gradient: surrogate taxa for assessing biodiversity? Ecological Applications 9: 164–170. .
- 2004. The effects of urban sprawl on birds at multiple levels of biological organization. Ecology and Society 9: 2. .
- 1977. Preliminary studies on the incidence of needle endophytes in some European conifers. Sydowia 29: 87–103. , , .
- 2000. Biodiversity and population growth. Issues in Science and Technology 16: 80–81. ,
- 2006. EstimateS: Statistical estimation of species richness and shared species from samples. Version 8. http://purl/oclc.org/estimates .
- 1992. Urban soil in landscape design. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 1943. The relation between the number of species and the number of individuals in a random sample of an animal population. Journal of Animal Ecology 12: 42–58. , , .
- 1999. Biodiversity of palm fungi in the tropics: are global fungal diversity estimates realistic? Biodiversity and Conservation 8: 977–1004. , .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 2008. Error-correcting barcoded primers for pyrosequencing hundreds of samples in multiplex. Nature Methods 5: 235–237. , , , ,
- 2007. Fragmented environment affects birch leaf endophytes. New Phytologist 175: 547–553. , , , ,
- 2007. Ecological implications of anti-pathogen effects of tropical fungal endophytes and mycorrhizae. Ecology 88: 550–558. , , , , , , .
- 1999. CAP3: a DNA sequence assembly program. Genome Research 9: 868–877. ,
- 2008. Exploring microbial diversity and taxonomy using SSU rRNA hypervariable tag sequencing. PLoS Genetics 4: e1000255. , , , , , .
- 2006. A distinct urban biogeochemistry? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 192–199. , , , , .
- 2004. The flora of German cities is naturally species rich. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6: 749–764. , ,
- 2006. Bacterial diversity in tree canopies of the Atlantic forest. Science 312: 1917. , , , , .
- 2008. Accurate taxonomy assignments from 16S rRNA sequences produced by highly parallel pyrosequencers. Nucleic Acids Research 36: e120. , , ,
- 1996. Endophytic fungi of Manilkara bidentata leaves in Puerto Rico. Mycologia 88: 733–738. , , .
- 2005. Genome sequencing in microfabricated high-density picolitre reactors. Nature 437: 376–380. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 1976. Computational methods of multivariate analysis in physical geography. London, UK: J. Wiley & Sons. .
- 1999. PC-ORD multivariate analysis of ecological data, version 4. Glendale Beach, OR, USA: MjM Software. , .
- 2002. Urbanization, biodiversity, and conservation. Bioscience 52: 883–890. .
- 1999. Biotic homogenization: a few winners replacing many losers in the next mass extinction. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 450–453. , .
- 2008. Parallel tagged sequencing on the 454 platform. Nature Protocols 3: 267–278. , ,
- 2009. The ITS region as a target for characterization of fungal communities using emerging sequencing technologies. FEMS Microbiology Letters 296: 97–101. , , , ,
- 2006. Taxonomic reliability of DNA sequences in public databases: a fungal perspective. PLoS ONE 1: e59. , , , , ,
- 1990. The estimation of species richness by extrapolation. Ecology 71: 1195–1198. .
- 2008. Effects of host plant environment and Ustilago maydis infection on the fungal endophyte community of maize (Zea mays). New Phytologist 178: 147–156. , ,
- 1991. Heavy metal accumulations in forest soils along an urban–rural gradient in southeastern New York, USA. Water Air and Soil Pollution 57–8: 797–807. , .
- 2009. Fungal endophytes: diversity and functional roles. New Phytologist 182: 314–330. , , , .
- 2007. Pyrosequencing enumerates and contrasts soil microbial diversity. ISME Journal 1: 283–290. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fungal endophytes: a continuum of interactions with host plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 319–343. , , , .
- 2005. Fungal epiphytes and endophytes of coffee leaves (Coffea arabica). Microbial Ecology 50: 1–8. ,
- 2004. Linking optimal foraging behavior to bird community structure in an urban-desert landscape: field experiments with artificial food patches. American Naturalist 164: 232–243. , , , .
- 2006. Microbial diversity in the deep sea and the underexplored ‘rare biosphere’. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 12 115–12 120. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Epidemiology of wheat head blight and maize ear rot caused by Fusarium graminearum. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 4: 195–209. .
- 2006. Plant richness patterns in agricultural and urban landscapes in Central Germany – spatial gradients of species richness. Landscape and Urban Planning 75: 97–110. , ,
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ, eds. PCR Protocols: a guide to methods and applications. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 315–322. , , , .
- 2000. A greedy algorithm for aligning DNA sequences. Journal of Computational Biology 7: 203–214. , , ,