This work is dedicated to Professor Shu-Chen Grace Chen (1948–2007).
Alkaline α-galactosidase degrades thylakoid membranes in the chloroplast during leaf senescence in rice
Version of Record online: 24 AUG 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 3, pages 596–606, November 2009
How to Cite
Lee, R.-H., Hsu, J.-H., Huang, H.-J., Lo, S.-F. and Grace Chen, S.-C. (2009), Alkaline α-galactosidase degrades thylakoid membranes in the chloroplast during leaf senescence in rice. New Phytologist, 184: 596–606. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02999.x
- Issue online: 16 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 AUG 2009
- Received: 7 July 2009 Accepted: 9 July 2009
- 1995. Metabolism of the raffinose family oligosaccharides in leaves of Ajuga reptans L. Inter- and intracellular compartmentation. Plant Physiology 109: 991–998. , .
- 1994. Metabolism of the raffinose family oligosaccharides in leaves of Ajuga reptans L. (cold acclimation, translocation, and sink to source transition: discovery of chain elongation enzyme). Plant Physiology 105: 1335–1345. , , .
- 1994. Peroxidation reactions in plant membranes: effects of free fatty acids. Lipid 29: 877–882. , .
- 2005. Three enzyme systems for galactoglycerolipid biosynthesis are coordinately regulated in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 2397–2400. , .
- 1997. The molecular biology of leaf senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 181–199. .
- 2003. Cloning and functional expression of alkaline α-galactosidase from melon fruit: similarity to plant SIP proteins uncovers a novel family of plant glycosyl hydrolase. Plant Journal 33: 97–106. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Galactolipids rule in seed plants. Trends in Plant Sciences 7: 112–118. , .
- 1995. Isolation and characterization of an Arabidopsis thaliana mutant deficient in the thylakoid lipid digalactosyl diacylglycerol. Plant Cell 7: 1801–1810. , , , .
- 1999. Arabidopsis galactolipid biosynthesis and lipid trafficking mediated by DGDG1. Science 284: 2181–2184. , , .
- 2005. Proteins, chlorophylls and lipids: X-ray analysis of a three-way relationship. Trends in Plant Sciences 10: 275–282. , , , .
- 1999. A novel α-galactosidase from melon fruit with substrate preference for raffinose. Plant Physiology 119: 979–988. , .
- 1996. Biogenesis of chloroplasts in higher plants. In: SmallwoodM, KnoxJP, BowlesDJ, eds. Membranes: specialized functions in plants. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 441–458. .
- 2001. α-Galactosidases from the larval midgut of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera) and Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera). Comparative Biochemical Physiology 128: 109–122. , .
- 2002. A gene encoding an acyl hydrolase is involved in leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 1: 805–815. , .
- 2001. A census of carbohydrate-active enzymes in the genome of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 55–72. , , .
- 2009. Stay-green regulates chlorophyll and chlorophyll-binding protein degradation during senescence. Trends in Plant Science 14: 155–162. .
- 2001. Ultra-simple DNA extraction method for marker-assisted selection using microsatellite markers in rice. Plant Molecular Biology Report 19: 27–32. , , , , .
- 2000. Galactolipid deficiency and abnormal chloroplast development in the Arabidopsis MGD synthase 1 mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 97: 8175–8179. , , , , , .
- 2007. Lipids in photosynthetic reaction centres: structural roles and functional holes. Progress in Lipid Research 46: 56–87. .
- 2001. Three-dimensional structure of cyanobacterial photosystem I at 2.5 Å resolution. Nature 411: 909–917. , , , , , .
- 1996. Plant galactolipids and sulfolipid: structure, distribution and biosynthesis. In: SmallwoodM, KnoxJP, BowlesDJ, eds. Membranes: specialized functions in plants. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 441–458. , , , .
- 1985. The role of the vacuole in storage and mobilization of stachyose in tubers of Stachys sieboldii. Journal of Plant Physiology 119: 369–380. , .
- 2007. Galactolipid synthesis in chloroplast inner envelope is essential for proper thylakoid biogenesis, photosynthesis, and embryogenesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 104: 17216–17221. , , , , .
- 2002. Programmed cell death during rice leaf senescence is nonapoptotic. New Phytologist 155: 25–32. , .
- 2001. Leaf senescence in rice plants: cloning and characterization of senescence up-regulated genes. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1117–1121. , , , .
- 2004. A novel alkaline α-galactosidase gene is involved in rice leaf senescence. Plant Molecular Biology 55: 281–295. , , .
- 1987. Chlorophylls and carotenoids: pigments of photosynthetic biomembranes. Method in Enzymology 148: 351–382. .
- 2007. Leaf senescence. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 115–136. , , .
- 2004. Crystal structure of spinach major light-harvesting complex at 2.72 Å resolution. Nature 428: 287–292. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Senescence-associated degradation of chloroplast proteins inside and outside the organelle. Plant Biology 10: 15–22. , , .
- 1992. Chloroplast senescence. In: BakerNR, ThomasH, eds. Crop photosynthesis: spatial and temporal determinants. New York, NY, USA: Elsevier Science Publishers, 413–440. .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 1997. Senescence mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 746–753. , , .
- 1993. Lipid–protein interactions in crystals of plant light-harvesting complex. Journal of Molecular Biology 234: 347–356. , , , .
- 1991. Biochemical composition and organization of higher plant photosystem II light harvesting pigment–proteins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266: 16745–16754. , .
- 2001. Biochemistry and physiology of raffinose family oligosaccharides and galactosyl cyclitols in seeds. Seed Science Research 11: 185–197. , .
- 2003. Highly efficient production and characterization of T-DNA plants for rice (Oryza sativa L.) functional genomics. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106: 1396–1408. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. A novel class of oxylipins, sn1-O-(12-oxophytodienoyl)-sn2-O-(hexadecatrienoyl)-monogalactosyl diglyceride, from Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 12832–12838. , , , , , .
- 1998. Lipid metabolism during plant senescence. Progress in Lipid Research 37: 119–141. , , , , .
- 1991. Biochemical and biophysical properties of thylakoid acyl lipids. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1060: 133–158. , .
- 1984. The biochemistry and regulation of senescence in chloroplasts. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 2934–2942. .
- 2005. Mutation of the TGD1 chloroplast envelope protein affects phosphatidate metabolism in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 3094–3110. , , , , .
- 2006. An alkaline alpha-galactosidase transcript is present in maize seeds and cultured embryo cells, and accumulates during stress. Seed Science Research 16: 107–121. , , , , , .