Ethylene is involved in nitrate-dependent root growth and branching in Arabidopsis thaliana
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 918–931, December 2009
How to Cite
Tian, Q.-Y., Sun, P. and Zhang, W.-H. (2009), Ethylene is involved in nitrate-dependent root growth and branching in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 184: 918–931. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03004.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
- Received: 6 July 2009, Accepted: 13 July 2009
- 2004. The ethylene signaling pathway. Science 306: 1513–1515. , .
- 1999. EIN2, a bifunctional transducer of ethylene and stress responses in Arabidopsis. Science 284: 2148–2152. , , , , .
- 2006. Ethylene stimulates mutations that are dependent on the ETR1 receptor. Plant Physiology 142: 1690–1700. , , , , .
- 2006. Ethylene modulates flavonoid accumulation and gravitropic responses in roots of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 140: 1384–1396. , , .
- 1998. Nitrate-induced ethylene biosynthesis and the control of nodulation in alfalfa. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 87–93. , , .
- 2000. Inoculation and nitrate alter phytohormone levels in soybean roots: differences between a supernodulating mutant and the wild type. Planta 211: 98–104. , , , , .
- 2005. Ethylene signal transduction. Annals of Botany 95: 0901–0915. , , .
- 2007. Reciprocal influence of ethylene and gibberellins on response-gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 226: 485–498. , , , , , , .
- 2003. An abscisic acid-sensitive checkpoint in lateral root development of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 33: 543–555. , , , , .
- 2008. Root branching responses to phosphate and nitrate. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 82–87. .
- 2000. Nitrate transporters in plants: structure, function and regulation. Bochimica Biophysica Acta 1465: 219–235. .
- 2002. Local and long-range signaling pathways regulating plant responses to nitrate. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 203–224. .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis dual-affinity transporter gene AtNRT1.1 (Chl1) is regulated by auxin in both shoots and roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 835–844. , , .
- 2008. Ethylene–auxin interactions regulate lateral root initiation and emergence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 335–347. , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: GUS fusions: B-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 1993. Ethylene biosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 283–307. .
- 1976. Inhibition of ethylene production by cobaltous ion. Plant Physiology 58: 114–117. , .
- 2008. Elongation changes of exploratory and root hair systems induced by aminocyclopropane carboxylic acid and aminoethoxyvinylglycine affect nitrate uptake and BnNrt2.1 and BnNrt1.1 transporter gene expression in oilseed rape. Plant Physiology 146: 1928–1940. , , , , , .
- 2002. Nitrate and phosphate availability and distribution have different effects on root system architecture of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 29: 751–760. , , , .
- 2005. The putative high-affinity nitrate transporter NRT2.1 represses lateral root initiation in response to nutritional cues. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences, USA 102: 13693–13698. , , , , , .
- 2002. Phosphate availability alters architecture and causes changes in hormone sensitivity in the Arabidopsis root system. Plant Physiology 129: 244–256. , , , , , .
- 2005. Intrinsic and environmental response pathways that regulate root system architecture. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 67–77. .
- 1997. Organization and cell differentiation in lateral roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 124: 33–44. , .
- 2007. Genome-wide reprogramming of metabolism and regulatory networks of Arabidopsis in response to phosphorus. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 85–112. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Transcript profiling in the chl1-5 mutant of Arabidopsis reveals a role of the nitrate transporter NRT1.1 in the regulation of another nitrate transporter, NRT2.1. Plant Cell 16: 2433–2447. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ethylene evolution and antioxidant defense mechanism in Cicer arietinum roots in the presence of nitrate and amino-ethoxyvinylglycine. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 38: 709–715. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Ethylene regulates lateral root formation and auxin transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 175–187. , , .
- 2008. Branching out in new directions: the control of root architecture by lateral root formation. New Phytologist 179: 595–614. , , .
- 2005. Ethylene-binding activity, gene expression levels, and receptor system output for ethylene receptor family members from Arabidopsis and tomato. Plant Journal 41: 651–659. , , , , .
- 2004. Disruption of the nitrate transporter genes AtNRT2.1 and AtNRT2.1 restricts growth at low external nitrate concentration. Planta 219: 714–721. , , , .
- 2007. Hidden branches: developments in root system architecture. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 93–113. , , .
- 2006. The Janus face of ethylene: growth inhibition and stimulation. Trends in Plant Science 11: 176–183. , , , , , .
- 2006a. The Arabidopsis NRT1.1 transporter participates in the signaling pathway triggering root colonization of nitrate-rich patches. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences, USA 103: 19206–19211. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. A central role for the nitrate transporter NRT2.1 in the integrated morphological and physiological responses of the root system to nitrogen limitation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 140: 909–921. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Ethylene regulates root growth through effects on auxin biosynthesis and transport-dependent auxin distribution. Plant Cell 19: 2197–2212. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Nitrate-specific and cytokinin-mediated nitrogen signaling pathways in plants. Journal of Plant Research 116: 253–257. .
- 1989. Inactivation of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase by l-vinylglycine as related to the mechanism-based inactivation of the enzyme by S-adenosyl-l-methionine. Plant Physiology 91: 1036–1039. , .
- 2003. Nitrogen deficiency increases volicitin-induced volatile emission, jasmonic acid accumulation, and ethylene sensitivity in maize. Plant Physiology 133: 295–306. , , , .
- 2001. From faith to fate: ethylene signaling in morphogenic responses to P and Fe deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 164: 147–154. .
- 2004. Hydrogen peroxide mediates plant root cell response to nutrient deprivation. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences, USA 101: 8827–8832. , .
- 2001. ABA plays a central role in mediating the regulatory effects of nitrate on root branching in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 28: 655–662. , , , .
- 2005. A link between ethylene and auxin uncovered by the characterization of two root-specific ethylene-insensitive mutants in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 2230–2242. , , , .
- 2007. Multilevel interactions between ethylene and auxin in Arabidopsis roots. Plant Cell 19: 2169–2185. , , , .
- 2007. Aluminum-induced ethylene production is associated with inhibition of root elongation in Lotus japonicus L. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1229–1235. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Ethylene regulates auxin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis seedlings to enhance inhibition of root cell elongation. Plant Cell 19: 2186–2196. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Possible involvement of cytokinin in nitrate-mediated root growth in maize. Plant and Soil 277: 185–196. , , , .
- 2008. Inhibition of maize root growth by high nitrate supply is correlated with reduced IAA levels in roots. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 942–951. , , , , .
- 1993. The herbicide sensitivity gene CHL1 of Arabidopsis encodes a nitrate-inducible nitrate transporter. Cell 72: 705–713. , , , .
- 2004. Unique and overlapping expression patterns among the Arabidopsis 1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase gene family members. Plant Physiology 136: 2982–3000. , .
- 2008. Nitrate signaling mediated by the NRT1.1 nitrate transporter antagonizes l-glutamate-induced changes in root architecture. Plant Journal 54: 820–828. , .
- 2006. Nitrogen regulation of root branching. Annals of Botany 97: 875–881. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ethylene biosynthesis and signaling networks. Plant Cell 14: S131–S151. , , .
- 1999. Two Arabidopsis mutants that overproduce ethylene are affected in the posttranscriptional regulation of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase. Plant Physiology 119: 521–529. , , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science 279: 407–409. , .
- 2000. Regulation of Arabidopsis root development by nitrate availability. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 51–59. , .
- 1999. Dual pathways for regulation of root branching by nitrate. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences, USA 96: 6529–6534. , , , .
- 2007. Signaling mechanisms underlying the morphological responses of the root system to nitrogen in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2329–2338. , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide is involved in nitrate-induced inhibition of root elongation in Zea mays L. Annals of Botany 100: 497–503. , , , .