The NADPH-oxidase AtrbohB plays a role in Arabidopsis seed after-ripening
Article first published online: 15 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 885–897, December 2009
How to Cite
Müller, K., Carstens, A. C., Linkies, A., Torres, M. A. and Leubner-Metzger, G. (2009), The NADPH-oxidase AtrbohB plays a role in Arabidopsis seed after-ripening. New Phytologist, 184: 885–897. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03005.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 15 SEP 2009
- Received: 30 April 2009, Accepted: 13 July 2009
- 1981. Studies in wild oat seed dormancy: I. The role of ethylene in dormancy breakage and germination of wild oat seeds (Avena fatua L.). Plant Physiology 67: 358–362. , .
- 2004. Active oxygen species in seed germination. Seed Science Research 14: 93–107. .
- 1998. Seeds – ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2006. Cloning of DOG1, a quantitative trait locus controlling seed dormancy in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 17042–17047. , , , .
- 1997. Seed germination and dormancy. Plant Cell 9: 1055–1066. .
- 2005. Gene expression analsis by cDNA-AFLP highlights a set of new signaling networks and translational control during the dormancy breakage in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia. Plant Molecular Biology 57: 593–612. , , , , , .
- 2006. Gene expression profiles of Arabidopsis Cvi seeds during dormancy cycling indicate a common underlying dormancy control mechanism. Plant Journal 46: 805–822. , , , .
- 1999. Generation of enhancer trap lines in Arabidopsis thaliana and characterization of gene expression patterns in the inflorescence. Plant Journal 17: 699–707. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Seed after-ripening is a discrete developmental pathway associated with specific gene networks in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 53: 214–224. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hydroxyl-radical production in physiological reactions. A novel function of peroxidase. European Journal of Biochemistry 260: 726–735. , .
- 2006. Ethylene-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis occurs via AtrbohF-mediated hydrogen peroxide synthesis. Plant Journal 47: 907–916. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 2006. Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist 171: 501–523. , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. A proposed role for copper ions in cell wall loosening. Plant and Soil 247: 57–67. , , .
- 2004. Analysis of mRNA transcripts from the NAD(P)H oxidase 1 (Nox1) gene. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 51661–51668. , , .
- 1992. Dormancy and germination of abscisic acid-deficient tomato seeds: studies with the sitiens mutant. Plant Physiology 99: 952–958. , .
- 2008. Regulation of dormancy in barley by blue light and after-ripening: effects on abscisic acid and gibberellin metabolism. Plant Physiology 147: 886–896. , , , .
- 2001. Role of reactive oxygen species in cell signalling pathways. Biochemical Society Transactions 29: 345–350. .
- 1999. Comparison of yeast cell protein solubilization procedures for two-dimensional electrophoresis. Electrophoresis 20: 826–829. , , , , , .
- 1999. Plant cis-acting regulatory DNA elements (PLACE) database: 1999. Nucleic Acids Research 27: 297–300. , , , .
- 2007. Post-genomics dissection of seed dormancy and germination. Trends in Plant Science 13: 7–13. , , , .
- 2008. Molecular networks regulating Arabidopsis seed maturation, after-ripening, dormancy and germination. New Phytologist 179: 33–54. , , .
- 2005. Pattern of protein oxidation in Arabidopsis seeds and during germination. Plant Physiology 138: 790–802. , , , , .
- 2002. Selecting for functional alternative splices in ESTs. Genome Research 12: 1837–1845. , , .
- 1998. A plant homolog of the neutrophil NADPH oxidase gp91phox subunit gene encodes a plasma membrane protein with Ca2+ binding motifs. Plant Cell 10: 255–266. , , , , , .
- 2006. Both introns and 3′-UTRs operate as cis-acting elements to trigger nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in plants. Nucleic Acids Research 34: 6147–6157. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Subcellular localisation of Strboh proteins and NADPH-dependent O2-generating activity in potato tuber tissue. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1373–1379. , , , , .
- 2005. Plant hormone interactions during seed dormancy release and germination. Seed Science Research 15: 281–307. , , .
- 2003. NADPH oxidase AtrbohD and AtrbohF genes function in ROS-dependent ABA signaling in Arabidopsis. EMBO Journal 22: 2623–2633. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen signalling: the latest news. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 323–328. , , .
- 2003. Functions and regulation of ß-1,3-glucanase during seed germination, dormancy release and after-ripening. Seed Science Research 13: 17–34. .
- 2005. ß-1,3-Glucanase gene expression in low-hydrated seed tissues as a novel mechanism for after-ripening. Plant Journal 41: 133–145. .
- 2007. Identification of transcripts potentially involved in barley seed germination and dormancy using cDNA-AFLP. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 425–437. , , , .
- 2009. Alternative splicing and differential expression of two transcripts of nicotine adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase B gene from Zea mays. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 51: 287–298. , , .
- 1995. Efficient amplification of insert end sequences from bacterial artificial chromosome clones by thermal asymmetric interlaced PCR. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 16: 175–181. , .
- 2005a. Large-scale screening of Arabidopsis enhancer-traps lines for seed germination-associated genes. Plant Journal 41: 936–944. , , , , , .
- 2005b. The BME3 (Blue Micropylar End 3) GATA zinc finger transcription factor is a positive regulator of Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Journal 44: 960–971. , , , .
- 1998. Role of WUSCHEL in regulating stem cell fate in the Arabidopsis shoot meristem. Cell 95: 805–815. , , , , , .
- 2007. Oxidative modifications to cellular components in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 459–481. , , .
- 2006. Endosperm-limited Brassicaceae seed germination: abscisic acid inhibits embryo-induced endosperm weakening of Lepidium sativum (cress) and endosperm rupture of cress and Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 864–877. , , .
- 2009. In vivocell wall loosening by hydroxyl radicals during cress (Lepidium sativum L.) seed germination and elongation growth. Plant Physiology 150: 1855–1865. , , , , , .
- 2005. Species-pecific variation of alternative splicing and transcriptional initiation in six eukaryotes. Gene 364: 53–62. , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide profiling of stored mRNA in Arabidopsis thaliana seed germination: epigenetic and genetic regulation of transcription in seed. Plant Journal 41: 697–709. , , , , .
- 2004. Intron retention is a major phenomenon in alternative splicing of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 39: 877–885. , , , , , .
- 2008. Protein repair l-isoaspartyl methyltransferase1 is involved in both seed longevity and germination vigor in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 3022–3037. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. ROS production and protein oxidation as novel mechanisms for seed dormancy alleviation. Plant Journal 50: 452–465. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cold and light control seed germination through the bHLH transcription factor SPATULA. Current Biology 15: 1998–2006. , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ABA INSENSITIVE4 regulates lipid mobilization in the embryo and reveals repression of seed germination in the endosperm. Plant Cell 18: 1887–1899. , , , , .
- 2007. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase are involved in pollen tube growth. New Phytologist 174: 742–751. , , , , .
- 2006. Production of reactive oxygen species by plant NADPH oxidases. Plant Physiology 141: 336–340. , .
- 2004. Plant respiratory burst oxidase homologs impinge on wound responsiveness and development in Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant Cell 16: 616–628. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Control of seed germination by absisic acid. III. Effect on embryo growth potential (minimum turgor pressure) and growth coefficient (cell wall extensibility) in Brassica napus L. Plant Physiology 77: 676–686. , .
- 2008. Identification of novel seed dormancy mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana and molecular and biochemical characterization of the seed dormancy gene DOG1. PhD thesis, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany. .
- 2002. The plasma membrane oxidase NtrbohD is responsible for AOS production in elicited tobacco cells. Plant Journal 31: 137–147. , , .
- 1999. Multiple independent defective suppressor-mutator transposon insertions in Arabidopsis: a tool for functional genomics. Plant Cell 11: 1841–1852. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The second step of the biphasic endosperm cap weakening that mediates tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) seed germination is under control of ABA. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1371–1379. , , .
- 2005. Functions of the respiratory burst oxidase in biotic interactions, abiotic stress and development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 397–403. , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis gp91phox homologues AtrbohD and AtrbohF are required for accumulation of reactive oxygene intermediates in the plant defense response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 517–522. , , .
- 2004. A second protein l-isoaspartyl methyltransferase gene in Arabidopsis produces two transcripts whose products are sequestered in the nucleus. Plant Physiology 136: 2652–2664. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nicotiana benthamiana gp91 phox homologs NbrbohA and NbrbohB participate in H2O2 accumulation and resistance to Phytophthora infestans. Plant Cell 15: 706–718. , , , , , , , .