Gene silencing induced by hairpin or inverted repeated sense transgenes varies among promoters and cell types
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 851–864, December 2009
How to Cite
Marjanac, G., Karimi, M., Naudts, M., Beeckman, T., Depicker, A. and De Buck, S. (2009), Gene silencing induced by hairpin or inverted repeated sense transgenes varies among promoters and cell types. New Phytologist, 184: 851–864. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03011.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
- Received: 8 July 2009, Accepted: 13 July 2009
- 2005. Evidence that RNA silencing-mediated resistance to Beet necrotic yellow vein virus is less effective in roots than in leaves. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 194–204. , , .
- 2006. Lower levels of transgene silencing in roots is associated with reduced DNA methylation levels at non-symmetrical sites but not at symmetrical sites. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 423–435. , , , .
- 1997. Regulatory sequences of Arabidopsis drive reporter gene expression in nematode feeding structures. Plant Cell 9: 2119–2134. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. RNAi silencing in plants. Nature 431: 356–363. .
- 1994. An easy technique for the clearing of histochemically stained plant tissue. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 12: 37–42. , .
- 2000. Embedding thin plant specimens for oriented sectioning. Biotechnic & Histochemistry 75: 23–26. , .
- 2001. Role for a bidentate ribonuclease in the initiation step of RNA interference. Nature 409: 363–366. , , , .
- 2006a. The frequency and efficiency of endogene suppression by transitive silencing signals is influenced by the length of sequence homology. Plant Physiology 142: 788–796. , , , .
- 2006b. Transitive and systemic RNA silencing: both involving an RNA amplification mechanism? In: NellenW, HammannC, eds. Small RNAs: analysis and regulatory functions. Nucleic acids and molecular biology, Vol. 17. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 119–139. , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein–dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1993. Quantitative kinetic analysis of β-glucuronidase activities using a computer-directed microtiter plate reader. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 11: 21–31. , , , , .
- 2006. The diversity of RNA silencing pathways in plants. Trends in Genetics 22: 268–280. , .
- 2008. Widespread translational inhibition by plant miRNAs and siRNAs. Science 320: 1185–1190. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of cell cycle regulatory genes and morphological alterations in response to salt stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 211: 632–640. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stable high-level transgene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana using gene silencing mutants and matrix attachment regions. Plant Journal 39: 440–449. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Specific and heritable genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 4985–4990. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2004. Suppression of post-transcriptional gene silencing by callus induction and virus infection reveals the existence of aberrant RNAs. Plant Science 167: 159–164. , , , .
- 2007. pSAT RNA interference vectors: a modular series for multiple gene down-regulation in plants. Plant Physiology 145: 1272–1281. , , , .
- 2000. An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase gene in Arabidopsis is required for posttranscriptional gene silencing mediated by a transgene but not by a virus. Cell 101: 543–553. , , , , .
- 2001. Disruption of their palindromic arrangement leads to selective loss of DNA methylation in inversely repeated gus transgenes in Arabidopsis. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 265: 1060–1068. , .
- 1998. Agrobacterium tumefaciens transformation and cotransformation frequencies of Arabidopsis thaliana root explants and tobacco protoplasts. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 449–457. , , , .
- 2001. Transgene silencing of invertedly repeated transgenes is released upon deletion of one of the transgenes involved. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 433–445. , , .
- 2004. Single-copy T-DNAs integrated at different positions in the Arabidopsis genome display uniform and comparable β-glucuronidase accumulation levels. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 61: 2632–2645. , , , .
- 1997. T-DNA integration patterns in co-transformed plant cells suggest that T-DNA repeats originate from ligation of separate T-DNAs. Plant Journal 11: 15–29. , , , , .
- 1999. A new D-type cyclin of Arabidopsis thaliana expressed during lateral root primordia formation. Planta 208: 453–462. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Silencing of antibody genes in plants with single-copy transgene inserts as a result of gene dosage effects. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 265: 647–653. , , , .
- 2005. The complex interplay between plant viruses and host RNA-silencing pathways. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 415–423. , .
- 2006. Induction, suppression and requirement of RNA silencing pathways in virulent Agrobacterium tumefaciens infections. Nature Genetics 38: 258–263. , , .
- 2008. RNA silencing in plants: yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Plant Physiology 147: 456–468. , , , .
- 2000. The WRKY superfamily of plant transcription factors. Trends in Plant Science 5: 199–206. , , , .
- 1994. Developmental expression of the Arabidopsis cyclin gene cyc1At. Plant Cell 6: 1763–1774. , , , , , .
- 1998. Potent and specific genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 391: 806–811. , , , , , .
- 2003. Epigenetic switch from posttranscriptional to transcriptional silencing is correlated with promoter hypermethylation. Plant Physiology 133: 1240–1250. , , , .
- 2004. Spreading of post-transcriptional gene silencing along the target gene promotes systemic silencing. Plant Journal 38: 594–602. , , .
- 2008. A role for AtWRKY23 in feeding site establishment of plant-parasitic nematodes. Plant Physiology 148: 358–368. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mitotic stability of infection-induced resistance to plum pox potyvirus associated with transgene silencing and DNA methylation. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 12: 103–111. , , .
- 1999. A species of small antisense RNA in posttranscriptional gene silencing in plants. Science 286: 950–952. , .
- 2002. High-throughput vectors for efficient gene silencing in plants. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1217–1225. , , , .
- 2004. Versatile gene-specific sequence tags for Arabidopsis functional genomics: transcript profiling and reverse genetics applications. Genome Research 14: 2176–2189. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The effect of spacer sequences on silencing efficiency of plant RNAi vectors. Plant Cell Reports 26: 651–659. , , , .
- 2004. RNA silencing in plants: a shortcut to functional analysis. Differentiation 72: 65–73. .
- 2000. Detailed characterization of the posttranscriptional gene-silencing-related small RNA in a GUS gene-silenced tobacco. RNA 6: 1445–1454. , , .
- 2008. RNA silencing manifested as visibly altered phenotypes in plants. Plant Biotechnology 25: 423–435. .
- 2002. GATEWAY™ vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2007. Recombinational cloning with plant Gateway vectors. Plant Physiology 145: 1144–1154. , , .
- 2004. Effectiveness of RNA interference in transgenic plants. FEBS Letters 566: 223–228. , , , .
- 1986. The promoter of TL-DNA gene 5 controls the tissue-specific expression of chimaeric genes carried by a novel type of Agrobacterium binary vector. Molecular and General Genetics 204: 383–396. , .
- 2003. Neither inverted repeat T-DNA configurations nor arrangements of tandemly repeated transgenes are sufficient to trigger transgene silencing. Plant Journal 34: 507–517. , , , , .
- 2005. RNAi-mediated pathways in the nucleus. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 24–35. , .
- 2005. RNA silencing systems and their relevance to plant development. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 21: 297–318. , , .
- 2004. An internal rearrangement in an Arabidopsis inverted repeat locus impairs DNA methylation triggered by the locus. Genetics 166: 437–448. , .
- 2002. Release from post-transcriptional gene silencing by cell proliferation in transgenic tobacco plants: possible mechanism for noninheritance of the silencing. Genetics 160: 343–352. , , , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis SGS2 and SGS3 genes are required for posttranscriptional gene silencing and natural virus resistance. Cell 101: 533–542. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Role of inverted DNA repeats in transcriptional and post-transcriptional gene silencing. Plant Molecular Biology 43: 243–260. , , , .
- 2007. Induction of differential flower pigmentation patterns by RNAi using promoters with distinct tissue-specific activity. Plant Biotechnology Reports 1: 251–257. , , , .
- 2009. An auxin gradient and maximum in the Arabidopsis root apex shown by high-resolution cell-specific analysis of IAA distribution and synthesis. Plant Cell. 21: 1659–1668. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. RNAi for revealing and engineering plant gene functions. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 18: 148–153. .
- 2000. Total silencing by intron-spliced hairpin RNAs. Nature 407: 319–320. , , , , , .
- 2002. hpRNA-mediated targeting of the Arabidopsis FAD2 gene gives highly efficient and stable silencing. Plant Physiology 129: 1723–1731. , , , , , .
- 2004. Characterization of two rice DNA methyltransferase genes and RNAi-mediated reactivation of a silenced transgene in rice callus. Planta 218: 337–349. , , , , .
- 2008. AtCDKA;1 silencing in Arabidopsis thaliana reduces reproduction of sedentary plant-parasitic nematodes. Plant Biotechnology Journal 6: 749–757. , , , , , .
- 1997. Post-transcriptional silencing of a neomycin phosphotransferase II transgene correlates with the accumulation of unproductive RNAs and with increased cytosine methylation of 3′ flanking regions. Plant Journal 12: 379–392. , , , .
- 2006. Post-transcriptional small RNA pathways in plants: mechanisms and regulations. Genes & Development 20: 759–771. .
- 2005. RNA silencing and antiviral defense in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 216–222. , .
- 2000. High-efficiency silencing of a β-glucuronidase gene in rice is correlated with repetitive transgene structure but is independent of DNA methylation. Plant Molecular Biology 43: 67–82. , .
- 2001. Construct design for efficient, effective and high-throughput gene silencing in plants. Plant Journal 27: 581–590. , , , , , , , , , et al.