Actin and myosin regulate cytoplasm stiffness in plant cells: a study using optical tweezers
Article first published online: 15 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 1, pages 90–102, January 2010
How to Cite
van der Honing, H. S., de Ruijter, N. C. A., Emons, A. M. C. and Ketelaar, T. (2010), Actin and myosin regulate cytoplasm stiffness in plant cells: a study using optical tweezers. New Phytologist, 185: 90–102. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03017.x
- Issue published online: 1 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 15 SEP 2009
- Received: 15 June 2009, Accepted: 26 July 2009
- 1970. Acceleration and trapping of particles using radiation pressure. Physical Review Letters 24: 156–159. .
- 1987. Optical trapping and manipulation of viruses and bacteria. Science 235: 1517–1520. , .
- 1989. Internal cell manipulation using infrared laser traps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 7914–7918. , .
- 1987. Optical trapping and manipulation of single cells using infrared laser beams. Nature 330: 769–771. , , .
- 1992. Making light work with optical tweezers. Nature 360: 493–495. .
- 1998. Interaction between mitochondria and the actin cytoskeleton in budding yeast requires two integral mitochondrial outer membrane proteins, Mmm1p and Mdm10p. The Journal of Cell Biology 141: 1371–1381. , , , .
- 1987. Inhibition of actin polymerization by latrunculin A. FEBS Letters 213: 316–318. , , , .
- 2008. Hydrodynamic flow in the cytoplasm of plant cells. Journal of Microscopy 231: 274–283. , , , , .
- 2006. ARP2 and ARP3 are localized to sites of actin filament nucleation in tobacco BY-2 cells. Protoplasma 227: 119–128. , , ,
- 2005. Aluminium causes variable responses in actin filament cytoskeleton of the root tip cells of Triticum turgidum. Protoplasma 225: 129–140. , , .
- 2004. The motility of Chara corallina myosin was inhibited reversibly by 2,3-butanedione monoxime (BDM). Plant & Cell Physiology 45: 1342–1345. , , , , , .
- 1994. Lipids trigger changes in the elasticity of the cytoskeleton in plant cells: a cell optical displacement assay for live cell measurements. The Journal of Cell Biology 126: 713–726. , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of actin tension in plant cells by kinases and phosphatases. Plant Physiology 116: 279–290. , , , .
- 2003. A revolution in optical manipulation. Nature 424: 810–816. .
- 2006. Actin microfilaments regulate vacuolar structures and dynamics: dual observation of actin microfilaments and vacuolar membrane in living tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant & Cell Physiology 47: 839–852. , , , , .
- 1989. Butanedione monoxime suppresses contraction and ATPase activity of rabbit skeletal muscle. Journal of Biochemistry (Tokyo) 105: 638–643. , .
- 2004. Dynamic rearrangements of transvacuolar strands in BY-2 cells imply a role of myosin in remodeling the plant actin cytoskeleton. Protoplasma 224: 201–210. , .
- 1998. Microinjection of pollen-specific actin-depolymerizing factor, ZmADF1, reorientates F-actin strands in Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Plant Journal 14: 353–357. , , , , .
- 2009. The actin cytoskeleton in root hairs: a cell elongation device. In: EmonsAMC, KetelaarT, eds. Plant cell monographs: root hairs. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 211–232. ,
- 2002. Positioning of nuclei in Arabidopsis root hairs: an actin-regulated process of tip growth. The Plant Cell 14: 2941–2955. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The actin-interacting protein AIP1 is essential for actin organization and plant development. Current Biology 14: 145–149. , , , , , .
- 2002. Dynamic organization of vacuolar and microtubule structures during cell cycle progression in synchronized tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant & Cell Physiology 43: 965–973. , .
- 2006. Microrheology probes length scale dependent rheology. Physical Review Letters 96: 118104. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Is 2,3-butanedione monoxime an effective inhibitor of myosin-based activities in plant cells? Protoplasma 209: 120–125. .
- 1997. From signal to form: aspects of the cytoskeleton–plasma membrane–cell wall continuum in root hair tips. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1881–1896. , , , .
- 2002. Actomyosin promotes cell plate alignment and late lateral expansion in Tradescantia stamen hair cells. Planta 214: 683–693. , , .
- 1999. Plant cell biology through the window of the highly synchronized tobacco BY-2 cell line. Methods in Cell Science 21: 123–127. , .
- 1992. Tobacco BY-2 cell line as the ‘HeLa’ cell in the cell biology of higher plants. International Review of Cytology 132: 1–30. , , .
- 2003. Involvement of myosin in intracellular motility and cytomorphogenesis in Micrasterias. Cell Biology International 27: 977–986. , , .
- 2007. Myosin inhibitors block accumulation movement of chloroplasts in Arabidopsis thaliana leaf cells. Protoplasma 230: 165–169. , .
- 1998. Localization of a myosin-like protein to plasmodesmata. Plant Journal 14: 743–750. , .
- 2001. Molecular motors and their functions in plants. International Review of Cytology 204: 97–178. .
- 2000. Effects of myosin ATPase inhibitor 2,3-butanedione 2-monoxime on distributions of myosins, F-actin, microtubules, and cortical endoplasmic reticulum in maize root apices. Plant & Cell Physiology 41: 571–582. , , , .
- 2007. Actin-filament-dependent remodeling of the vacuole in cultured mesophyll protoplasts. Protoplasma 230: 141–152. , , .
- 2007. The sliding theory of cytoplasmic streaming: fifty years of progress. Journal of Plant Research 120: 31–43. .
- 2004. Cytoplasmic streaming in plants. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 16: 68–72. , .
- 1995. Roles of actin filaments in cytoplasmic streaming and organization of transvacuolar strands in root hair cells of Hydrocharis. Protoplasma 185: 188–193. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Latrunculins: novel marine toxins that disrupt microfilament organization in cultured cells. Science 219: 493–495. , , , .
- 1994. Microinjected profilin affects cytoplasmic streaming in plant cells by rapidly depolymerizing actin microfilaments. Current Biology 4: 215–219. , , , , , .
- 2007. Viscoelasticity of isotropically cross-linked actin networks. Physical Review Letters 98: 088103. , , .
- 2000a. Mechanism of inhibition of cytoplasmic streaming by a myosin inhibitor, 2,3-buanedione monoxime. Protoplasma 213: 46–54. , , , .
- 2000b. The role of plant villin in the organization of the actin cytoskeleton, cytoplasmic streaming and the architecture of the transvacuolar strand in root hair cells of Hydrocharis. Planta 210: 836–843. , , , , , .
- 2003. Development and disintegration of phragmoplasts in living cultured cells of a GFP::TUA6 transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana plant. Protoplasma 220: 111–118. , , , , , .
- 1997. Probing the plant actin cytoskeleton during cytokinesis and interphase by profilin microinjection. The Plant Cell 9: 1815–1824. , , , , .
- 2002. Plant mitochondria move on F-actin, but their positioning in the cortical cytoplasm depends on both F-actin and microtubules. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 659–667. , , .
- 2004. Microtubules become more dynamic but not shorter during preprophase band formation: a possible ‘search-and-capture’ mechanism for microtubule translocation. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 57: 246–258. , , .
- 1992. Effects of 2,3-butanedione monoxime on contraction of frog skeletal muscles: an X-ray diffraction study. Journal of Muscle Research and Cell Motility 13: 153–160. , , , , .