Apoplastic barriers effectively block oxygen permeability across outer cell layers of rice roots under deoxygenated conditions: roles of apoplastic pores and of respiration
Article first published online: 18 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 909–917, December 2009
How to Cite
Kotula, L., Ranathunge, K. and Steudle, E. (2009), Apoplastic barriers effectively block oxygen permeability across outer cell layers of rice roots under deoxygenated conditions: roles of apoplastic pores and of respiration. New Phytologist, 184: 909–917. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03021.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 18 SEP 2009
- Received: 15 May 2009, Accepted: 22 July 2009
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332. .
- 1994. Polarographic oxygen electrodes and their use in plant aeration studies. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 102B: 511–527. .
- 2005. Rice: sulfide-induced barriers to root radial oxygen loss, Fe2+ and water uptake, and lateral root emergence. Annals of Botany 96: 625–638. , .
- 2000. Oxygen distribution in wetland plant roots and permeability barriers to gas-exchange with the rhizosphere: a microelectrode and modelling study with Phragmites australis. Annals of Botany 86: 687–703. , , , , .
- 2003a. Aerenchyma and an inducible barrier to radial oxygen loss facilitate root aeration in upland, paddy and deep-water rice (Oryza sativa L.). Annals of Botany 91: 301–309. .
- 2003b. Long-distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 1998. A comparison of NH4+ and NO3− net fluxes along roots of rice and maize. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 240–246. , .
- 1998. The barrier to radial oxygen loss from roots of rice (Oryza sativa L.) is induced by growth in stagnant solution. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1431–1436. , , , .
- 2003. Apoplastic barriers and oxygen transport properties of hypodermal cell walls in roots from four Amazonian tree species. Plant Physiology 132: 206–217. , , , , , , .
- 1985. A new fluorescent test for cell vitality using Calcofluor white M2R. Stain Technology 60: 69–79. , , .
- 2003. Diversity in root aeration traits associated with waterlogging tolerance in the genus Hordeum. Functional Plant Biology 30: 875–889. , , .
- 2008. Assessment of O2 diffusivity across the barrier to radial O2 loss in adventitious roots of Hordeum marinum. New Phytologist 179: 405–416. , , .
- 1940. Plant microtechnique. New York, NY, USA: McGraw-Hill. .
- 2009. Measurements of oxygen permeability coefficient of rice (Oryza sativa L.) roots using a new perfusion technique. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 567–580. , .
- 2009. Functional and chemical comparison of apoplastic barriers to radial oxygen loss in roots of rice (Oryza sativa L.) grown in aerated or deoxygenated solution. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2155–2167. , , , .
- 1982. Gas permeability of plant cuticles. Planta 155: 310–315. .
- 1991. Sorption and transport of gases and vapors in plant cuticles. Reviews of environmental contamination and toxicology. 121: 65–128. , .
- 2002. Similarity and diversity in adventitious root anatomy as related to root aeration among a range of wetland and dryland grass species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 441–451. , , .
- 1999. Early copper-induced leakage of K+ from Arabidopsis seedlings is mediated by ion channels and coupled to citrate efflux. Plant Physiology 121: 1375–1382. , , , , .
- 2005. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology 3rd edn. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier Academic Press. .
- 2004. Water permeability and reflection coefficient of the outer part of young rice roots are differently affected by closure of water channels (aquaporins) or blockage of apoplastic pores. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 433–447. , , , .
- 2005. Blockage of apoplastic bypass-flow of water in rice roots by insoluble salt precipitates analogous to a Pfeffer cell. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 121–133. , , .
- 2008. Soybean root suberin and partial resistance to root rot caused by Phytophthora sojae. Phytopathology 98: 1179–1189. , , , , , .
- 2006. AgCl precipitates in isolated cuticular membranes reduced rates of cuticular transpiration. Planta 223: 283–290. , , , , .
- 2007. Apoplastic barriers to radial oxygen loss and solute penetration: a chemical and functional comparison of the exodermis of two wetland species, Phragmatis australis and Glyceria maxima. New Phytologist 173: 264–278. , , , , .
- 1980. The use of Evan’s blue stain to test the survival of plant cells after exposure to high salt and high osmotic pressure. Journal of Experimental Botany 31: 571–576. , .
- 2000. Changes in growth, porosity, and radial oxygen loss from adventitious roots of selected mono and dicotyledonous wetland species with contrasting types of aerenchyma. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1237–1245. , , , .