Stem-mediated hydraulic redistribution in large roots on opposing sides of a Douglas-fir tree following localized irrigation
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 932–943, December 2009
How to Cite
Nadezhdina, N., Steppe, K., De Pauw, D. J., Bequet, R., Čermak, J. and Ceulemans, R. (2009), Stem-mediated hydraulic redistribution in large roots on opposing sides of a Douglas-fir tree following localized irrigation. New Phytologist, 184: 932–943. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03024.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Received: 12 May 2009, Accepted: 17 July 2009
- 2007. Bole water content shows little seasonal variation in century-old Douglas-fir trees. Tree Physiology 27: 737–747. , , , , .
- 2002. Hydraulic redistribution of soil water during summer drought in two contrasting Pacific Northwest coniferous forests. Tree Physiology 22: 1107–1117. , , , .
- 2006. Hydraulic redistribution in a Douglas-fir forest: lessons from system manipulations. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 138–150. , , , , .
- 2006. Redistribution of soil water by lateral roots mediated by stem tissues. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 3283–3291. , .
- 2004. The contribution of fog to the water relations of Sequoia sempervirens (D. Don): foliar uptake and prevention of dehydration. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1023–1034. , .
- 1998. The redistribution of soil water by tree root systems. Oecologia 115: 306–311. , , , .
- 1989. Hydraulic lift: water efflux from upper roots improves effectiveness of water uptake by deep roots. Oecologia 79: 1–5. , .
- 1998. Hydraulic lift: consequences of water efflux from roots of plants. Oecologia 113: 151–161. , , .
- 1992. Radial velocity profiles of water flow in stems of spruce and oak and response of spruce tree to severing. Tree Physiology 10: 367–380. , , , , .
- 2004. Sap flow measurements with some thermodynamic methods, flow integration within trees and scaling up from sample trees to entire forest stands. Trees 18: 529–546. , , .
- 2007. Tree water storage and its diurnal dynamics related to sap flow and changes in stem volume in old-growth Douglas-fir trees. Tree Physiology 27: 181–198. , , , , .
- 1996. Seasonal water uptake and movement in root systems of Australian phraeatophytic plants of dimorphic root morphology: a stable isotope investigation. Oecologia 107: 13–20. , .
- 2007. Soil moisture heterogeneity during deficit irrigation alters root-to-shoot signalling of abscisic acid. Functional Plant Biology 34: 439–448. .
- 2004. Native root xylem embolism and stomatal closure in stands of Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine: mitigation by hydraulic redistribution. Oecologia 141: 7–16. , , , , .
- 2006. Transpiration-induced axial and radial tension gradients in trunks of Douglas-fir trees. Tree Physiology 26: 275–284. , , , .
- 1999. Grapevine shoot growth and stomatal conductance are reduced when part of the root system is dried. Vitis 38: 151–156. , .
- 2008. Partial rootzone drying of drip irrigated ‘Navel’ orange trees (Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck) under semi-arid tropical conditions. Acta Horticulturae 792: 249–256. , , .
- 1996. Intercomparison of methods for calculating potential evaporation in regional and global water balance models. Water Resources Research 32: 2315–2321. , , .
- 2006. Water relations and gas exchange in olive trees under regulated deficit irrigation and partial rootzone drying. Plant and Soil 284: 273–291. , , , , , , , .
- 1727. Vegetable staticks, or, an account of some statical experiments on the sap in vegetables. London, UK: W & J Innys and T Woodward.
- 2009. Anatomical features that facilitate radial flow across growth rings and from xylem to cambium in Cryptomeria japonica. Annals of Botany 103: 1145–1157. , , ,
- 1958. Measurements of sap flow in conifers by heat transport. Plant Physiology 33: 385–396. .
- 2004. Converging patterns of uptake and hydraulic redistribution of soil water in contrasting woody vegetation types. Tree Physiology 24: 919–928. , , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamics of water transport and storage in conifers studied with deuterium and heat tracing techniques. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 105–114. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Heat field deformation method for sap flow measurements. In: ČermakJ, NadezhdinaN, eds. Measuring sap flow in intact plants. Brno, Czech Republic: Publishing House of Mendel University, 72–92. , , .
- 2006. Vertical and horizontal water redistribution within Norway spruce (Picea abies) roots in the Moravian Upland. Tree Physiology 26: 1277–1288. , , , , .
- 2008. Seasonal variation of water uptake of a Quercus suber tree in central Portugal. Plant and Soil 305: 105–119. , , , .
- 2008. Spatial variability of xylem sap flow in mature beech (Fagus sylvatica) and its diurnal dynamics in relation to microclimate. Botany 86: 1440–1448. , , .
- 2007. Tree proximity, soil pathways and common mycorrhizal networks: their influence on the utilization of redistributed water by understory seedlings. Oecologia 154: 455–466. , , , .
- 2005. Transverse hydraulic redistribution by a grapevine. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 157–166. , , , .
- 1961. Evaluation des besoins en eau d’irrigation, evapotranspiration potentielle, formule climatique simplifiée et mise à jour. Annales Agronomiques 12: 13–49. .
- 2004. Components and controls of water flux in an old-growth Douglas-fir–western hemlock ecosystem. Ecosystems 7: 468–481. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. The characteristics of biogenocenoses. In: VasicekF, ed. Ecophysiological and ecomorphological studies of individual trees in the spruce ecosystem of the Drahanska Vrchovina uplands (Czechoslovakia). Brno, Czech Republic : Folia Universitatis Agriculturae, Agr. Univ. Brno, 4–7.
- 2005. Vertical stratification of soil water storage and release dynamics in Pacific Northwest coniferous forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 130: 39–58. , , , .
- 2007. Hydraulic redistribution of soil water in two old-growth coniferous forests: quantifying patterns and controls. New Phytologist 173: 753–765. , , , , .