A relationship between galactic cosmic radiation and tree rings
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 184, Issue 3, pages 545–551, November 2009
How to Cite
Dengel, S., Aeby, D. and Grace, J. (2009), A relationship between galactic cosmic radiation and tree rings. New Phytologist, 184: 545–551. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03026.x
- Issue published online: 16 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Received: 10 July 2009 Accepted: 14 August 2009
- 2007. Changes in solar irradiation at four stations in the British Isles. MSc Thesis, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK.
- 1994. Grasping at shadows? A selective review of the search for sunspot-related variability in tree rings. The Solar Engine and Its Influence on Terrestrial Atmosphere and Climate, E.Nesme-Ribes Ed., NATOASI Series, Vol. I 25, Springer-Verlag, 417–434. .
- 1997. A comparison of plant responses to the extreme drought of 1995 in northern England. Journal of Ecology 85: 875–882. , , , .
- 1985. Sleet and snow in June 1985. Weather 40: 222. .
- 2004. The role of forests in the global carbon cycle and in climate change policy. Irish Forestry 61: 7–15. , .
- 2009. Atmospheric physics: Cosmic rays, clouds and climate. Nature 460: 332–333. .
- 2002. Cosmic rays, clouds, and climate. Science 298: 1732–1737. , , .
- 1977. Tree rings: a natural data-storage system. Biological Reviews 52: 349–381. .
- 1991. Deterministic signals in tree-rings from North-America. International Journal of Climatology 11: 861–876. .
- 2006. Atmospheric ion-induced aerosol nucleation. Space Science Reviews 125: 159–167. , , .
- 1962. Some ring-width pattern in Sitka spruce timber from North America. Forestry 35: 22–26. .
- 1927. Solar records in tree growth. Science 65: 220–221. .
- 1966. Spectral distribution of light in forest. Ecology 47: 555–560. , .
- 1962. An approach to dendroclimatology: screening by means of multiple regression techniques. Journal of Geophysical Research 67: 1413–1420. .
- 1966. Growth-rings of trees: their correlation with climate. Science 154: 973–979. .
- 2004. Understanding and managing the global carbon cycle. Journal of Ecology 92: 189–202. .
- 1990. Climate and growth of Pinus sylvestris at its upper altitudinal limit in Scotland: evidence from tree growth-rings. Journal of Ecology 78: 601–610. , .
- 1975. The effect of wind and humidity on leaf diffusive resistance in Sitka spruce seedlings. The Journal of Applied Ecology 12: 931–940. , , .
- 2003. Response of a deciduous forest to the Mount Pinatubo eruption: enhanced photosynthesis. Science 299: 2035–2038. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Germination, growth rates, and electron microscope analysis of tomato seeds flown on the LDEF. Radiation Measurements 26: 851–861. , , .
- 2003. Ion-aerosol-cloud processes in the lower atmosphere. Reviews of Geophysics 41: 1012. , .
- 2006. Empirical evidence for a nonlinear effect of galactic cosmic rays on clouds. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science 462: 1221–1233. , .
- 1987. Modeling the effects of drought on the growth of Sitka spruce in Scotland. Forestry 60: 13–30. , .
- 2004. Dust to dust: the summer of 1976. Weather 59: 247–250. .
- 2009. Study Challenges Cosmic Ray-Climate Link. Science 324: 576–577. .
- 2007. Cosmic rays and climate. Surveys in Geophysics 28: 333–375. .
- 1978. Effects of air ions on microorganisms and other biological materials. Critical Reviews in Microbiology 6: 109–150. , .
- 2002. A new look at possible connections between solar activity, clouds and climate. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 2107–2110. , , ,
- 2001. Overview of the international project on biogenic aerosol formation in the boreal forest (BIOFOR). Tellus B 53: 324–343. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Toward direct measurement of atmospheric nucleation. Science 318: 89–92. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Solar activity and terrestrial climate: an analysis of some purported correlations. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar–Terrestrial Physics 65: 801–812. .
- 2000. Cosmic rays, clouds, and climate. Space Science Reviews 94: 215–230. , .
- 2009. Impact of changes in diffuse radiation on the global land carbon sink. Nature 458: 1014–1017. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Timber properties of Sitka spruce from south Scotland: a study to identify causes of increased failure during stress grading. Forest Research, Northern Research Station, Roslin, UK. Internal Report. , .
- 1983. Direct and indirect effects of light on stomata. I. In Scots pine and Sitka spruce. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 95–101. , .
- 1980. The rural ecology of the British drought of 1975–1976. Human Ecology 8: 33–63. .
- 1975. Photosynthesis in Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.). VI. Response of stomata to temperature. Journal of Applied Ecology 12: 879–891. , .
- 1999. Chromosomal aberrations as a biomarker for cosmic radiation. Fundamentals for the Assessment of Risks from Environmental Radiation 55: 203–208. .
- 2000. The influence of cosmic rays on terrestrial clouds and global warming. Astronomy & Geophysics 41: 18–22. , .
- 1982. Comments on interpretation of climatic information from tree rings eastern North America. Tree-Ring Bulletin 42: 11–22. .
- 2009. Can cosmic rays affect cloud condensation nuclei by altering new particle formation rates? Geophysical Research Letters 36: doi: DOI: 10.1029/2009GL037946. , .
- 2007. Solar activity imprints in tree ring width from Chile (1610–1991). Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics 69: 1049–1056. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The ever-flickering light. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 3–5. .
- 2001. On the direct effect of clouds and atmospheric particles on the productivity and structure of vegetation. Oecologia 129: 21–30. , , , .
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77–91. .
- 1971. Coinciding periodicity in recent tree rings and glacial clay sediments. Annales Universitatis Turkuensis Series A II Biologica-Geographica-Geologica 47: 155–157. , .
- 1999. Overview of recent growth trends in European forests. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution 116: 33–46. .
- 2001. Global dimming: a review of the evidence for a widespread and significant reduction in global radiation with discussion of its probable causes and possible agricultural consequences. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 107: 255–278. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of direct and diffuse radiation densities under forest canopies and validation of the light diffusion effect. Journal of Forest Research 8: 283–290. , , .
- 1997. Variation of cosmic ray flux and global cloud coverage – a missing link in solar-climate relationships. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar–Terrestrial Physics 59: 1225–1232. , .
- UK MetOffice (ed) 2003. News release; 2003 Summary. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/2003summary.html (11.08.2009).
- UK MetOffice (ed) 2008a. News release. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/March.html (11.08.2009).
- UK MetOffice (ed) 2008b. News release. UK climate. 2008 summary. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/summer.html (11.08.2009).
- 2007. Ecophysiological controls over the net ecosystem exchange of mountain spruce stand. Comparison of the response in direct vs. diffuse solar radiation. Global Change Biology 13: 157–168. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The influence of summertime fog and overcast clouds on the growth of a coastal Californian pine: a tree-ring study. Oecologia 156: 601–611. , , , .
- 2000. Ultrafine aerosol formation via ion-mediated nucleation. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 883–886. , .