Both authors contributed equally to this work.
Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Weeds - bridging the gap between evolutionary ecology and crop science’
Volume 184, Issue 4, pages 950–961, December 2009
How to Cite
Ruehr, N. K., Offermann, C. A., Gessler, A., Winkler, J. B., Ferrio, J. P., Buchmann, N. and Barnard, R. L. (2009), Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist, 184: 950–961. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03044.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
- Received: 24 March 2009, Accepted: 23 July 2009
- 2009. The crucial role of plant mitochondria in orchestrating drought tolerance. Annals of Botany 103: 581–597. ,
- 2000. Leaf water relations of competitive Fagus sylvatica and Quercus petraea trees during 4 years differing in soil drought. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 30: 335–346. ,
- 2008. Soil carbon stocks in experimental mesocosms are dependent on the rate of labile carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus inputs to soils. Functional Ecology 22: 964–974. , ,
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level 14C pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , ,
- 2003. Understanding plant responses to drought - from genes to the whole plant. Functional Plant Biology 30: 239–264. , ,
- 2005. Europe-wide reduction in primary productivity caused by the heat and drought in 2003. Nature 437: 529–533. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. The influence of plant water deficit on photosynthesis and translocation of 14C-labeled assimilates in cacao seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 78: 623–627. , ,
- 2006. Keeping a positive carbon balance under adverse conditions: responses of photosynthesis and respiration to water stress. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 343–352. , , , ,
- 2005. The effects of drought in plant respiration. In: LambersH, Ribas-CarboM, eds. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration, vol. 18. the Netherlands: Springer, 85–94. , , , .
- 2001. Radiation modifies the effect of water availability on the carbon isotope composition of beech (Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 150: 653–664. , , , , , .
- 2004a. Water shortage affects the water and nitrogen balance in Central European beech forests. Plant Biology 6: 289–298. , , ,
- 2005. Climate and forest management influence nitrogen balance of European beech forests: microbial N transformations and inorganic N net uptake capacity of mycorrhizal roots. European Journal of Forest Research 124: 95–111. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004b. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech - evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 721–729. , ,
- 2008. Experimental evidence for diel variations of the carbon isotope composition in leaf, stem and phloem sap organic matter in Ricinus communis. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 941–953. , , , ,
- 2004. Climate change affects carbon allocation to the soil in shrublands. Ecosystems 7: 650–661. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Towards a more plant physiological perspective on soil ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 549–554. ,
- IPCC 2007. Climate Change 2007: The physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge, UK and NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 1958. The concentration and isotopic abundances of atmospheric carbon dioxide in rural areas. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 13: 322–334.
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short-term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Carbon fluxes from plants through soil organisms determined by field (CO2)-13C pulse-labelling in an upland grassland. Applied Soil Ecology 33, 152–175. , , ,
- 2003. Effects of water stress at different deficit intensities on transport and distribution of 14C-assimilates in micropropagated apple plants. European Journal of Horticultural Science 68: 227–233. , , ,
- 2008. Contrasting species-specific, compound-specific, seasonal, and interannual responses of foliar isoprenoid emissions to experimental drought in a mediterranean shrubland. International Journal of Plant Sciences 169: 637–645. , , ,
- 2008. Genotypic variation and phenotypic plasticity in the drought response of fine roots of European beech. Tree Physiology 28: 297–309. ,
- 2004. Assimilation of CO2 by soil microorganisms and transformation into soil organic matter. Organic Geochemistry 35: 1015–1024. , , ,
- 1930. Die Stoffbewegung in der Pflanze. Jena, Germany: Fischer.
- 1997. Drought affects the fluxes of carbon to roots and soil in 13C pulse-labelled plants of wheat. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 29: 1395–1403. ,
- 2001. Role of membrane transport in phloem translocation of assimilates and water. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 695–707. , , , ,
- 2003. BVOCs: plant defense against climate warming?. Trends In Plant Science 8: 105–109. ,
- the R Core team. 2008. NLME: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effect Models. R package version 3.1. The R Core team , , , ,
- 1965. Effect of water stress on 14C sucrose transport in bean plants. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 18: 1143–1155. ,
- 2007. Differential regulation of sorbitol and sucrose loading into the phloem of Plantago major in response to salt stress. Plant Physiology 144: 1029–1038. , ,
- R Development Core Team 2007. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2003. Modeling temporal and large-scale spatial variability of soil respiration from soil water availability, temperature and vegetation productivity indices. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1–15. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Terrestrial ecosystems and the carbon-cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 77–91.
- 1996. Soluble N compounds in trees exposed to high loads of N: a comparison of spruce (Picea abies) and beech (Fagus sylvatica) grown under field conditions. New Phytologist 134: 103–114. , , , , ,
- 2008. Preliminary observations of temperature effects on carbon loss through BVOC emissions in Fagus sylvatica L. Geophysical Research Abstracts 10. doi: DOI: 1607-7962/gra/EGU2008-A-09084. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Relative sensitivity of photosynthetic assimilation and translocation of 14C to water-stress. Plant Physiology 64: 852–856. ,
- 1992. Ecophysiology of phloem loading in source leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 265–270. ,
- 1987. An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass-C. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 19: 703–707. , ,
- 1969. Effect of water stress on translocation in relation to photosynthesis and growth II. Effect during leaf development in lolium temulentum l. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 22: 1–16.
- 1971. Trees, structure and function. Berlin, Germany: Springer. ,