The significance of phloem transport for the speed with which canopy photosynthesis and belowground respiration are linked
Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 1, pages 189–203, January 2010
How to Cite
Mencuccini, M. and Hölttä, T. (2010), The significance of phloem transport for the speed with which canopy photosynthesis and belowground respiration are linked. New Phytologist, 185: 189–203. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03050.x
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 OCT 2009
- Received: 18 May 2009, Accepted: 24 August 2009
- 2007. Environmental controls on the carbon isotope composition of ecosystem-respired CO2 in contrasting forest ecosystems in Canada and the USA. Tree Physiology 27: 1361–1374. , , , .
- 2005. Estimating‘autotrophic’ belowground respiration in spruce and beech forests: decreases following girdling. European Journal Forest Research 124: 155–163. , , , , .
- 1999. Separation of root respiration from total soil respiration using carbon-13 labeling during Free-Air Carbon dioxide Enrichment (FACE). Soil Science Society of America Journal 63: 1429–1435. , , , .
- 2005. Variation in the degree of coupling between delta C-13 of phloem sap and ecosystem respiration in two mature Nothofagus forests. New Phytologist 166: 497–512. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tree-girdling to separate root and heterotrophic respiration in two Eucalyptus stands in Brazil. Oecologia 148: 447–454. , , , .
- 2002. C-13 content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 176: 124–135. , .
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level 14C pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , , .
- 2008. Explaining temporal variations in soil respiration rates and delta13C in coniferous forest ecosystems. Doctoral thesis, Örebro University (manuscript #3 in thesis), Intellecta DocuSys, U Frolunda. .
- 1999. Predominance of ecophysiological controls on soil CO2 flux in a Minnesota grassland. Plant and Soil 207: 77–86. , , .
- 2008. Fine-root respiration in a loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) forest exposed to elevated CO2 and N fertilization. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1663–1672. , , , .
- 2001. Natural abundance of 13C in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration. Oecologia 127: 305–308. , .
- 2005. Forest soil respiration rate and δ13C is regulated by recent above ground weather conditions. Oecologia 143: 136–142. , , , .
- 1976. An approximate analytic equation for sugar concentration waves in Münch phloem translocation systems. Canadian Journal of Botany 54: 2130–2132. .
- 1975. The theoretical time-dependent behavior of Münch pressure-flow system: the effect of sinusoidal time variation in sucrose loading and water potential. Canadian Journal of Botany 53: 1120–1127. , , .
- 1998. Root production, turnover and respiration under two grassland types along an altitudinal gradient: influence of temperature and solar radiation. Oecologia 114: 20–30. , , , , , .
- 2000. Soil respiration fluxes measured along a hydrological gradient in a Norway spruce stand in south Sweden (Skogaby). Plant and Soil 221: 273–280. .
- 2008. Biophysical controls on rhizospheric and heterotrophic components of soil respiration in a boreal black spruce stand. Tree Physiology 27: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2008. Ammonium versus nitrate nutrition of Zea mays and Lupinus albus: effect on root-derived CO2 efflux. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40: 2835–2842. , .
- 1991. The fate of carbon in pulse labeled crops of barley and wheat. Plant and Soil 136: 205–213. , .
- 2006. The dependence of respiration on photosynthetic substrate supply and temperature: integrating leaf, soil and ecosystem measurements. Global Change Biology 12: 1954–1968. , , , , , .
- 2008. Soil temperature affects carbon allocation within arbuscular mycorrhizal networks and carbon transport from plant to fungus. Global Change Biology 14: 1181–1190. , , , .
- 2006. Respiration of the external mycelium in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis shows strong dependence on recent photosynthates and acclimation to temperature. New Phytologist 171: 159–170. , , , .
- 2007. A non-invasive optical system for the measurement of phloem and xylem sap flow in woody plants. Tree Physiology 27: 169–179. , , , , .
- 2006. Towards a more plant physiological perspective on soil ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 548–554. , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Carbon allocation between tree root growth and root respiration in boreal pine forest. Oecologia 132: 579–581. , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Modeling xylem and phloem water flows in trees according to cohesion theory and Münch hypothesis. Trees: Structure and Function 20: 67–78. , , , , .
- 2009. Linking phloem function to structure: analysis with a coupled xylem–-phloem transport model. Journal of Theoretical Biology 259: 325–337. , , .
- 1994. 14C allocation in tree soil systems. Tree Physiology 14: 1163–1176. , , .
- 1937. Untersuchungen füber den Assimilationsstrom I. Tharandter Forstliches Jahrbuch 88: 1017–1049. , , .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. In situ13CO2 pulse labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short-term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Short term variations in δ13C of ecosystem respiration reveals link between assimilation and respiration in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 142: 70–82. , , , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis controls of rhizosphere respiration and organic matter decomposition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 14: 1915–1925. , .
- 2001. Carbon partitioning and below-ground translocation by Lolium perenne. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 61–74. , , .
- 2007. The human footprint in the carbon cycle of temperate and boreal forests. Nature 447: 848–852. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Water transport in plants obeys Murray’s law. Nature 421: 939–942. , , .
- 2004. Response of the carbon isotopic content of ecosystem, leaf, and soil respiration to meteorological and physiological driving factors in a Pinus ponderosa ecosystem. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: 1013. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Short-term storage of carbohydrate in stem tissue of apple (Malus domestica), a woody perennial: evidence for involvement of the apoplast. Functional Plant Biology 32: 1027–1031. , , , .
- 2003. The ecological significance of long distance water transport: short-term regulation and long-term acclimation across plant growth forms. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 163–182. .
- 2000. Comment on ‘Hydraulic limitation of tree height: a critique’ by Becker, Meinzer and Wullschleger. Functional Ecology 14: 135–137. , .
- 2007. Sanio’s Laws revisited. Size-dependent changes in the xylem architecture of trees. Ecology Letters 10: 1084–1093. , , , .
- 2000. Combined effects of atmospheric CO2 and N availability on the belowground carbon and nitrogen dynamics of aspen mesocosms. Oecologia 124: 432–445. , , , .
- 2004. New understanding on phloem physiology and possible consequences for modelling long-distance carbon transport. New Phytologist 166: 771–779. , .
- 1987. Measurement of unloading and reloading of photo-assimilate within the stem of bean. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 211–220. , .
- 2001. Tortuosity, diffusivity, and permeability in the soil liquid and gaseous phases. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65: 613–623. , , , , .
- 2005. Temporal variability in 13C of respired CO2 in a pine and a hardwood forest subject to similar climatic conditions. Oecologia 142: 57–69. , , , , , .
- 2007. Response of mycorrhizal, rhizosphere and soil basal respiration to temperature and photosynthesis in a barley field. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39: 843–853. , , .
- 1999. Continuous monitoring of rhizosphere respiration after labelling of plant shoots with 14CO2. Plant and Soil 212: 191–201. , , , , .
- 1998. δ13C analysis of phloem sap carbon: novel means of evaluating seasonal water stress and interpreting carbon isotope signatures of foliage and trunk wood of Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 301–311. , .
- 1993. Asymptotic analysis of flow in sieve tubes with semi-permeable walls. Journal of Theoretical Biology 162: 465–485. , .
- 2009. Carbon balance and allocation of assimilated CO2 in Scots pine, Norway spruce, and Silver birch seedlings determined by gas exchange measurements and 14C pulse labelling. Trees 23: 611–621. , , , , .
- 2008. Toward using δ13C of ecosystem respiration to monitor canopy physiology in complex terrain. Oecologia 158: 399–410. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. The contribution of plant C to soil CO2, measured using δ13C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 1653–1656. , .
- 2006. Differential controls by climate and substrate over the heterotrophic and rhizospheric components of soil respiration. Global Change Biology 12: 205–216. , , .
- 2005. Crown-to-rhizosphere carbon transfer in a temperate mixed forest. EOS Transactions, American GeoPhysical Union, 86, Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract B13B-05. , , , .
- 2003a. The speed of soil carbon throughput in an upland grassland is increased by liming. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1461–1469. , , , .
- 2003b. Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of 14C. Science 300: 1138–1140. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon fluxes to the soil in a mature temperate forest assessed by 13C isotope tracing. Oecologia 141: 489–501. , , , .
- 2007. Are ecosystem carbon inputs and outputs coupled at short time scales? A case study from adjacent pine and hardwood forests using impulse–response analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 700–710. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Feedback interactions between needle litter decomposition and rhizosphere activity. Oecologia 139: 551–559. , , , , , .
- 1998. Plant physiology, 2nd edn. Massachusetts, MA, USA: Sinauer. , .
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , , .
- 2006. Phloem: the long and the short of it. Trends in Plant Science 11: 26–32. .
- 2003. Scaling phloem transport: water potential equilibrium and osmoregulatory flow. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1561–1577. , .
- 2004. Scaling phloem transport: information transmission. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 509–519. , .
- 1996. Mechanisms of long and short distance transport from sources to sinks. In: ZamskiE, SchafferAA, eds. Photoassimilate distribution in plants and crops: source–sink relationships. New York, NY, USA: Dekker, 261–282. , .
- 1974. A simpler iterative steady state solution of Munch pressure-flow systems applied to long and short translocation paths. Plant Physiology 54: 589–600. , , .
- 2000. Respiration as the main determinant of carbon balance in European forests. Nature 404: 861–865. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Substrate regulation of soil respiration in a tallgrass prairie: Results of a clipping and shading experiment. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1054. , .
- 1973. The use of 14CO2 canopy techniques for measuring carbon transfer through the plant–soil system. Plant and Soil 38: 331–345. , .
- 2008. Close coupling of whole-plant respiration to net photosynthesis and carbohydrates. Tree Physiology 28: 1831–1840. , .
- 1997. A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biology. Science 276: 122–126. , , .
- 1999. A general model for the structure and allometry of plant vascular systems. Nature 400: 664–667. , , .
- 2000. The origin of universal scaling laws in biology. In: BrownJH, WestGB, eds. Scaling in biology. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press, 87–112. , , .
- 2006. MRI of long-distance water transport: a comparison of the phloem and xylem flow characteristics and dynamics in poplar, castor bean, tomato and tobacco. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1715–1729. , , , .
- 2008. Evaporation and carbonic anhydrase activity recorded in oxygen isotope signatures of net CO2 fluxes from a Mediterranean soil. Global Change Biology 14: 2178–2193. , , , , , , , .
- 1969. Translocation velocity and specific mass transfer in the sieve tubes of Fraxinus americana L. Planta 84: 272–278. .