Nucleotide sequence data reported in this paper is available in the DDBJ/EMBL/GenBank database under accession number GU062787.
Digitalis purpurea P5βR2, encoding steroid 5β-reductase, is a novel defense-related gene involved in cardenolide biosynthesis
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 687–700, February 2010
How to Cite
Pérez-Bermúdez, P., Moya García, A. A., Tuñón, I. and Gavidia, I. (2010), Digitalis purpurea P5βR2, encoding steroid 5β-reductase, is a novel defense-related gene involved in cardenolide biosynthesis. New Phytologist, 185: 687–700. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03080.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Received: 21 July 2009, Accepted: 22 September 2009
- 1992. Effects of ethylene and aminoethoxyvinylglycine on cardenolide accumulation in tissue cultures of Digitalis lanata. Journal of Plant Physiology 140: 395–398. , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein–dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen, abiotic stress, and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , , .
- 1990. Formation of Digitalis lanata clone lines by shoot tip culture. Planta Medica 56: 53–58. , , .
- 2002. Critical residues for structure and catalysis in short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 25677–25684. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Δ5-3β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase from Digitalis lanata Ehrh. – a multifunctional enzyme in steroid metabolism? Planta 209: 478–486. , , , , .
- 2000. Specialist weevil, Rhyssomatus lineaticollis, does not spatially avoid cardenolide defenses of common milkweed by ovipositing into pith tissue. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 2857–2874. , .
- 2000. Cloning and functional expression in Escherichia coli of a cDNA encoding cardenolide 16’-O-glucohydrolase from Digitalis lanata Ehrh. Plant & Cell Physiology 41: 1293–1298. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Plant secondary metabolism glycosyltransferases: the emerging functional analysis. Trends in Plant Science 10: 542–549. , , .
- 1993. Enzyme activities in cardenolide-accumulating, mixotrophic shoot cultures of Digitalis purpurea L. Journal of Plant Physiology 141: 269–275. , .
- 1994. Purification, characterization and partial peptide microsequencing of progesterone 5β-reductase from shoot cultures of Digitalis purpurea. European Journal of Biochemistry 225: 1125–1132. , , .
- 1997. Cardenolides of Digitalis obscura: the effect of phosphate and manganese on growth and productivity of shoot-tip cultures. Phytochemistry 45: 81–85. , .
- 1996. Selection and long-term cultures of high-yielding Digitalis obscura plants: RAPD markers for analysis of genetic stability. Plant Science 121: 197–205. , , .
- 2002. Cloning and expression of two novel aldo-keto reductases from Digitalis purpurea leaves. European Journal of Biochemistry 269: 2842–2850. , , .
- 2007. Plant progesterone 5β-reductase is not homologous to the animal enzyme. Molecular evolutionary characterization of P5βR from Digitalis purpurea. Phytochemistry 68: 853–864. , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular recognition of the inhibitor AG-1343 by HIV-1 protease: conformationally flexible docking by evolutionary programming. Chemistry & Biology 2: 317–324. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Amino acid substitution matrices from protein blocks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 10915–10919. , .
- 2007. Δ5-3β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3βHSD) from Digitalis lanata. Heterologous expression and characterization of the recombinant enzyme. Planta Medica 73: 704–710. , , , , .
- 2001. Ecological arsenal and developmental dispatcher. The paradigm of secondary metabolism. Plant Physiology 125: 58–60. .
- 1993. PROCHECK: a program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures. Journal of Applied Crystallography 26: 283–291. , , , .
- 2000. Partial cloning of a Δ5-3β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase from Digitalis lanata. In: OkamotoM, IshimuraY, NawataH, eds. Molecular steroidogenesis. Proceedings of the Yamada Conference LII, Frontiers Science Series, 29-XXIV. Tokyo, Japan: Universal Academy Press, 333–334. , , ,
- 1992. Assessment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles. Nature 356: 83–85. , , .
- 2007. Purification and physico-kinetic characterization of 3β-hydroxy specific sterol glucosyltransferase from Withania somnifera (L) and its stress response. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1774: 392–402. , , , , .
- 1996. Milkweed latex and cardenolide induction may resolve the lethal plant defence paradox. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 80: 193–196. , .
- 1993. Response of Digitalis purpurea plants to temporary salinity. Journal of Plant Nutrition 16: 327–335. , , , .
- 1998. A novel tomato gene that rapidly responds to wound- and pathogen-related signals. Plant Journal 14: 137–142. , , , , , .
- 1990. Effects of abscisic acid on cardenolide accumulation and growth in Digitalis lanata tissue cultures. Journal of Plant Physiology 136: 510–512. .
- 1995. Effects of auxin and phenobarbital on morphogenesis and production of digitoxin in Digitalis callus. Plant & Cell Physiology 36: 247–252. , , , , .
- 1999. Relationship between active oxygen species and cardenolide production in cell cultures of Digitalis thapsi: effect of calcium restriction. New Phytologist 141: 51–60. , , .
- 2003. Coenzyme-based functional assignments of short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases (SDRs). Chemico-Biological Interactions 143–144: 271–278. , , , .
- 2009. The SDR (short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase and related enzymes) nomenclature initiative. Chemico-Biological Interactions 178: 94–98. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Seasonal cardenolide production and Dop5βr gene expression in natural populations of Digitalis obscura. Phytochemistry 65: 1869–1878. , , , .
- 1993. Comparative protein modeling by satisfaction of spatial restraints. Molecular Biology 234: 779–815. , .
- 2006. Statistical potential for assessment and prediction of protein structures. Protein Science 15: 2507–2524. , .
- 1994. Modes of expression of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase and chalcone synthase in elicitor-treated carrot cell cultures. Acta Horticulturae 381: 206–209. , , .
- 1987. The production of secondary metabolites by Digitalis lanata during CO2 enrichment and water stress. Phytochemistry 26: 2735–2739. , , .
- 2008. The crystal structure of progesterone 5beta-reductase from Digitalis lanata defines a novel class of short chain dehydrogenases/reductases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 17260–17269. , , , , , , .
- 2003. LigandFit: a novel method for the shape-directed rapid docking of ligands to protein active sites. Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling 21: 289–307. , , , .
- 2000. Glycosyltransferases in plant natural product synthesis: characterization of a supergene family. Trends in Plant Science 5: 380–386. , .
- 1999. Characterisation and control of plant secondary metabolism. In: WaltonNJ, BrownDE, eds. Chemicals from plants. Perspectives on plant secondary products. London, UK: Imperial College Press, 27–90. , , ,