Introgression of fitness genes across a ploidy barrier
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2009)
Special Issue: Plant polyploidy
Volume 186, Issue 1, pages 63–71, April 2010
How to Cite
Chapman, M. A. and Abbott, R. J. (2010), Introgression of fitness genes across a ploidy barrier. New Phytologist, 186: 63–71. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03091.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2009
- Received: 12 August 2009, Accepted: 4 October 2009
- 1988. Pollinator movements and the polymorphism for outcrossing rate at the ray floret locus in Groundsel, Senecio vulgaris L. Heredity 60: 295–298. , .
- 1992. Introgressive origin of the radiate groundsel, Senecio vulgaris L. var. hibernicus Syme: Aat-3 evidence. Heredity 68: 425–435. , , .
- 1998. Evolution of a polymorphism for outcrossing rate in Senecio vulgaris: Influence of germination behaviour. Evolution 52: 1593–1601. , , .
- 2009. Recent hybrid origin and invasion in the British Isles by a self-incompatible species, Oxford ragwort (Senecio squalidus L., Asteraceae). Biological Invasions 11: 1145–1158. , , , , , .
- 1949. Introgressive hybridization. John Wiley & Sons. New York. .
- 2006. Evolution through genetic exchange. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2008. Genetic exchange and the origin of adaptations: prokaryotes to primates. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 363: 2813–2820. , , .
- 1992. Isozyme evidence and the origin of Senecio vulgaris L. (Compositae). Plant Systematics & Evolution 179: 167–174. , .
- 2007. A genomic view of introgression and hybrid speciation. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 17: 513–518. , .
- 2009. Adaptation and selection in the Senecio (Asteraceae) hybrid zone on Mount Etna, Sicily. New Phytologist 183: 702–717. , , , , .
- 1992. Gene flow across ploidal levels in Draba (Brassicaceae). Evolutionary Trends in Plants 6: 125–134. , , .
- 2004. The taxonomy of Senecio Sect. Senecio: hybridisation and speciation. PhD thesis, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK. .
- 1972. Cytotaxonomic studies in the Section Annui of Senecio. PhD thesis, University of London, London, UK. .
- 2008. Evolutionary genetics of genome merger and doubling in plants. Annual Review of Genetics 42: 443–461. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Cytogenetic variation in the British Flora: origins and significance. New Phytologist 98: 101–118. .
- 2001. Gene flow from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) to jointed goatgrass (Aegilops cylindrica Host.), as revealed by RAPD and microsatellite markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 1–8. , , .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systematic Biology 52: 696–704. , .
- 2004. Modeling the site-specific variation of selection patterns along lineages. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 12957–12962. , , , .
- 2003. Progressive introgression between Brassica napus (oilseed rape) and B. rapa. Heredity 91: 276–283. , , .
- 1980. New evidence for the hybrid origin of inland radiate groundsel, S. vulgaris L. var. hibernicus Syme. New Phytologist 84: 543–546. , , .
- 2005. Recent allopatric, homoploid hybrid speciation: the origin of Senecio squalidus L (Asteraceae) in the British Isles from a hybrid zone on Mount Etna, Sicily. Evolution 59: 2533–2547. , .
- 1994. Spontaneous hybridization between oilseed rape (Brassica napus) and weedy Brassica campestris (Brassicaceae): a risk of growing genetically-modified oilseed rape. American Journal of Botany 81: 1620–1626. , .
- 2008. Regulatory genes control a key morphological and ecological trait transferred between species. Science 322: 1116–1119. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Hybridization and introgression in white and yellow ladyslipper orchids (Cypripedium candidum and C. pubescens). Journal of Heredity 82: 305–318. , , .
- 1978. The origin of isolating mechanisms in flowering plants. Evolutionary Biology 11: 185–317. .
- 2000. Retrotansposon activation followed by rapid repression in introgressed rice plants. Genome 43: 874–880. , .
- 2004. Extensive alterations in DNA methylation and transcription in rice caused by introgression from Zinzania latifolia. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 571–582. , , , , , .
- 2000. Routes of origin of two recently evolved hybrid taxa: Senecio vulgaris var. hibernicus and York radiate groundsel (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 1159–1167. , .
- 1996. Origin of floral asymmetry in Antirrhinum. Nature 383: 794–799. , , , , .
- 1980. On the frequency of introgression of the radiate (Tr) allele from Senecio squalidus L. into Senecio vulgaris L. Heredity 45: 133–135. , .
- 1982. Polymorphism for outcrossing frequency at the ray floret locus in S. vulgaris L. I. Evidence. Heredity 48: 227–235. , .
- 1984. Polymorphism for outcrossing frequency at the ray floret locus in S. vulgaris L. II. Confirmation. Heredity 52: 331–336. , .
- 2006. Detecting adaptive trait introgression between Iris fulva and I. brevicaulis in highly selective field conditions. Genetics 172: 2481–2489. , , .
- 2000. Origin and evolution of invasive naturalized material of Rhododendron ponticum L. in the British Isles. Molecular Ecology 9: 541–556. , .
- 2008. A population genomic analysis of species boundaries: neutral processes, adaptive divergence and introgression between two hybridizing plant species. Molecular Ecology 17: 1552–1563. , .
- 2005. Crop-to-weed introgression has impacted allelic composition of johnsongrass populations with and without recent exposure to cultivated sorghum. Molecular Ecology 14: 2143–2154. , , , , , .
- 1999. Spread of violets in polluted pine forest: morphological and molecular evidence for the ecological importance of interspecific hybridization. Molecular Ecology 8: 365–377. , , , , .
- 1997. Genedoc: a tool for editing and annotating multiple sequence alignments. Distributed by the author http://www.psc.edu/biomed/genedoc ,
- 1997. The spread of an advantageous allele across a barrier: the effects of random drift and selection against heterozygotes. Genetics 145: 493–504. , .
- 1998. Pathways, mechanisms, and rates of polyploidy formation in flowering plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Sytematics 29: 467–501. , .
- 1993. Introgression and its consequences in plants. In: HarrisonRG, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 70–109. , .
- 2007. Hybridization and the colonization of novel habitats by annual sunflowers. Genetica 129: 149–165. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Mobilization of the active mite transposons mPing and Pong in rice by introgression from wild rice (Zinzania latifolia Griseb.). Molecular Biology and Evolution 22: 976–990. , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Polyploid speciation did not confer instant reproductive isolation in Capsella (Brassicaceae). Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 1472–1481. , , , .
- 1977. The origin of radiate Senecio vulgaris L. Heredity 39: 383–388. .
- 1971. Chromosomal evolution in higher plants. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 2003. PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (* and other methods) Version 4. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. .
- 1875. Senecio vulgaris L. var. hibernica mihi. Botanical Exchange Club, Report of Curator 1872 74: 27–28. .
- 1912. On the inheritance of certain characters in the Common groundsel –Senecio vulgaris– and its segregates. Journal of Genetics 2: 239–276. .
- 2005. Extensive de novo genomic variation in rice induced by introgression from wild rice (Zizania latifolia Griseb.). Genetics 170: 1945–1956. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sequence evidence for sporadic intergeneric DNA introgression from wheat into a wild Aegilops species. Molecular Biology and Evolution 22: 2055–2062. , , .
- 2006. Adaptive introgression of herbivore resistance traits in the weedy sunflower Helianthus annuus. American Naturalist 167: 794–807. , , .
- 1961. Studies in British Primulas IX. Seed incompatibility in diploid-autotetraploid crosses. New Phytologist 60: 282–294. , .
- 2001. The genic view of the process of speciation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 14: 851–865. .
- 2007. Rampant gene exchange across a strong reproductive barrier between the annual sunflowers Helianthus annuus and H. petiolaris. Genetics 175: 1883–1893. , , , .