These authors contributed equally to this work.
A novel pepper (Capsicum annuum) receptor-like kinase functions as a negative regulator of plant cell death via accumulation of superoxide anions
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 701–715, February 2010
How to Cite
Yi, S. Y., Lee, D. J., Yeom, S.-I., Yoon, J., Kim, Y.-H., Kwon, S.-Y. and Choi, D. (2010), A novel pepper (Capsicum annuum) receptor-like kinase functions as a negative regulator of plant cell death via accumulation of superoxide anions. New Phytologist, 185: 701–715. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03095.x
GenBank accession number of CaRLK1: EF397556.
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2009
- Received: 16 July 2009, Accepted: 22 September 2009
Vol. 190, Issue 3, 808, Article first published online: 25 MAR 2011
- 2008. Plant DELLAs restrain growth and promote survival of adversity by reducing the levels of reactive oxygen species. Current Biolology 18: 656–660. , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of light intensities on antioxidant enzymes and malondialdehyde content during short-term acclimatization on micropropagated Phalaenopsis plantlet. Environmental and Experimental Botany 54: 109–120. , , .
- 2004. The Pfam protein families database. Nucleic Acids Research Database 32: D138–D141. , , .
- 2001. Regulation and execution of programmed cell death in response to pathogens, stress and developmental cues. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 561–567. , .
- 2006. Peroxidase-dependent apoplastic oxidative burst in Arabidopsis required for pathogen resistance. Plant Journal 47: 851–863. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Plant transmembrane receptors: new pieces in the signaling puzzle. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 21: 70–73. , .
- 1997. The CLAVATA1 gene encodes a putative receptor kinase that controls shoot and floral meristem size in Arabidopsis. Cell 89: 575–585. , , .
- 1995. Differential accumulation of antioxidant mRNAs in Arabidopsis thaliana exposed to ozone. Plant Physiology 109: 203–212. , .
- 2004. Molecular analysis of programmed cell death during senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana and Brassica oleracea: cloning broccoli LSD1, Bax inhibitor and serine palmitoyltransferase homologues. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 59–68. , , , , .
- 2009. Phagocytic superoxide specifically damages an extracytoplasmic target to inhibit or kill Salmonella. PLoS ONE 4: e4975. , .
- 2001. Signal interactions between nitric oxide and reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13454–13459. , , , .
- 1997. A novel zinc finger protein is encoded by the Arabidopsis LSD1 gene and functions as a negative regulator of plant cell death. Cell 88: 685–694. , , , , .
- 2007. Ultrasensitive peroxynitrite-based luminescence with L-012 as a screening system for antioxidative/antinitrating substances, e.g. Tylenol (acetaminophen), 4-OH tempol, quercetin and carboxy-PTIO. Luminescence 22: 267–274. , , , .
- 1997. Molecular cloning of a new receptor-like kinase gene encoded at the Lr10 disease resistance locus of wheat. Plant Journal 11: 45–52. , , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. FLS2: an LRR receptor-like kinase involved in the perception of the bacterial elicitor flagellin in Arabidopsis. Molecules and Cells 5: 1003–1011. , .
- 1999. Peroxynitrite: reactive, invasive and enigmatic. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 3: 226–235. .
- 1991. Protein kinase catalytic domain sequence database: identification of conserved features of 1° structure and classification of family members. Methods In Enzymology 200: 38–62. , .
- 2007. The receptor-like kinase SERK3/BAK1 is a central regulator of innate immunity in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 12217–12222. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Biochemical properties of the autophosphorylation of RLK5, a receptor-like protein kinase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1208: 65–74. , .
- 1999. Analysis of reactive oxygen species generated by neutrophils using a chemiluminescence probe L-012. Analytical Biochemistry 271: 53–58. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Initiation of runaway cell death in an Arabidopsis mutant by extracellular superoxide. Science 273: 1853–1856. , , .
- 2003. Biphasic superoxide generation in potato tubers. A self-amplifying response to stress. Plant Physiology 131: 1440–1449. , , .
- 1998. Structural diversity of leucine-rich repeat proteins. Journal of Molecular Biology 277: 519–527. .
- 2009. Histological and cytological changes associated with susceptible and resistant responses of chili pepper root and stem to Phytophthora capsici infection. Plant Pathology Journal 25: 113–120. , .
- 2001. Trafficking of phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate from the trans-Golgi network to the lumen of the central vacuole in plant cells. Plant Cell 13: 287–301. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. LSD1 regulates salicylic acid induction of copper zinc superoxide dismutase in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interaction 12: 1022–1026. , , , , .
- 1990. Arabidopsis is susceptible to infection by a downy mildew fungus. Plant Cell 2: 437–445. , .
- 2003. NADPH oxidase AtrbohD and AtrbohF genes function in ROS-dependent ABA signaling in Arabidopsis. EMBO Journal 22: 2623–2633. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular cloning of GA 2-cxidase3 from spinach and its ectopic expression in Nicotiana sylvestris. Plant Physiology 138: 243–254. , .
- 2001. Identification of a signal that distinguishes between the chloroplast outer envelope membrane and the endomembrane system in vivo. Plant Cell 13: 2175–2190. , , , .
- 2002. PPI1: a novel pathogen-induced basic region-leucine zipper (bZIP) transcription factor from pepper. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interaction 15: 540–548. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Evolutionary history and stress regulation of plant receptor-like kinase/pelle genes. Plant Physiology 150: 12–26. , , , .
- 2007. Chloroplast-generated reactive oxygen species are involved in hypersensitive response-like cell death mediated by a mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade. Plant Journal 51: 941–954. , , , , , .
- 2002. An LRR receptor kinase involved in perception of a peptide plant hormone, phytosulfokine. Science 296: 1470–1472. , , , .
- 2009. The plant NADPH cxidase RBOHD mediates rapid systemic signaling in response to diverse stimuli. Science Signaling 2: ra45. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The reactive oxygen gene network of plants. Trends in Plant Science 9: 490–498. , , , .
- 2007. Receptor-like protein kinase 2 (RPK2) is a novel factor controlling anther development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 50: 751–766. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Characterization of tobacco protein kinase NPK5, a homolog of Saccharomyces cerevisiae SNF1 that constitutively activates expression of the glucose-repressible SUC2 gene for a secreted invertase of S. cerevisiae. Molecular and Cellular Biology 14: 2958–2965. , , .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 388–395. , , .
- 2009. Tyrosine phosphorylation of the BRI1 receptor kinase emerges as a component of brassinosteroid signaling in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 658–663. , , , , , .
- 2001. A hot pepper cDNA encoding a pathogenesis-related protein 4 is induced during the resistance response to tobacco mosaic virus. Molecules and Cells 28: 122–127. , , , , , .
- 2007. MicroTom – a model plant system to study bacterial wilt by Ralstonia solanacearum. Plant Pathology Journal 23: 239–244. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Detection of glutathione transferase activity on polyacrylamide gels. Analytical Biochemistry 143: 226–230. , , , , .
- 2001. The disease resistance signaling components EDS1 and PAD4 are essential regulators of the cell death pathway controlled by LSD1 in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 13: 2211–2224. , , , , .
- 2001. Superoxide production by plant homologues of the gp91phox NADPH oxidase. Modulation of activity by calcium and by tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiology 126: 1281–1290. , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd Edn. Plainview, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 1997. The effects of ozone on antioxidant responses in plants. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 23: 480–488. , .
- 1999. Novel protein kinases associated with calcineurin B-like calcium censors in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 11: 2393–2405. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plant receptor-like kinase gene family: diversity, function, and signaling. Science’s STKE 18: RE22. , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of the receptor-like kinase family in Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Cell 16: 1220–1234. , , , , , .
- 2002. The plasma membrane oxidase NtrbohD is responsible for AOS production in elicited tobacco cells. Plant Journal 31: 137–148. , , .
- 1995. A receptor kinase-like protein encoded by the rice disease resistance gene, Xa21. Science 270: 1804–1806. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato induces the expression of tomato EREBP-like genes pti4 and pti5 independent of ethylene, salicylate and jasmonate. Plant Journal 20: 475–483. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of the tomato Pto gene in tobacco enhances resistance to Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci expressing avrPto. Plant Cell 7: 1529–1536. , , , .
- 2000. Receptor kinase activation and signal transduction in plants: an emerging picture. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interaction 3: 361–367. .
- 2005. Functions of the respiratory burst oxidase in biotic interactions, abiotic stress and development. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interaction 8: 397–403. , .
- 1998. Six Arabidopsis thaliana homologues of the human respiratory burst oxidase (gp91phox). Plant Journal 14: 365–370. , , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis gp91phox homologues AtrbohD and AtrbohF are required for accumulation of reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant defense response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 517–522. , , .
- 2005. Pathogen-induced, NADPH oxidase-derived reactive oxygen intermediates suppress spread of cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature Genetics 37: 1130–1134. , , .
- 2004. Toll receptor-mediated regulation of NADPH oxidase in human Dendritic cells. Journal of Immunology 173: 5749–5756. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Wall-associated kinases are expressed throughout plant development and are required for cell expansion. Plant Cell 13: 303–318. , .
- 1997. Oxidative burst: an early plant response to pathogen infection. Biochemical Journal 322: 681–692. .
- 2009. Arabidopsis GRI is involved in the regulation of cell death induced by extracellular ROS. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 5412–5417. , , , .
- 2006. Exploitation of pepper EST-SSRs and an SSR-based linkage map. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114: 113–130. , , , , .
- 2003. Nicotiana benthamiana gp91phox homologs NbrbohA and NbrbohB participate in H2O2 accumulation and resistance to Phytophthora infestans. Plant Cell 15: 706–718. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Perception of the bacterial PAMP EF-Tu by the receptor EFR restricts Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. Cell 125: 749–760. , , , , , , .