Ecophysiological traits in C3 and C4 grasses: a phylogenetically controlled screening experiment
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 780–791, February 2010
How to Cite
Taylor, S. H., Hulme, S. P., Rees, M., Ripley, B. S., Ian Woodward, F. and Osborne, C. P. (2010), Ecophysiological traits in C3 and C4 grasses: a phylogenetically controlled screening experiment. New Phytologist, 185: 780–791. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03102.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2009
- Received: 24 August 2009, Accepted: 8 October 2009
- 2004. Image processing with imageJ. Biophotonics International 11: 36–42. .
- 2003. A molecular phylogeny of Panicum (Poaceae : Paniceae): tests of monophyly and phylogenetic placement within the Panicoideae. American Journal of Botany 90: 796–821. , , , .
- 1998. Nitrogen distribution and leaf area indices in relation to photosynthetic nitrogen use efficiency in savanna grasses. Plant Ecology 138: 63–75. , , .
- 2001. Phylogeny and subfamilial classification of the grasses (Poaceae). Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 88: 373–457. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1970. Comparative photosynthetic CO2 exchange in higher plants. In: HatchMD, OsmondCB, SlatyerRO, eds. Photosynthesis and photorespiration. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 18–32. .
- 1971. Ecological implications of dividing plants into groups with distinct photosynthetic production capacities. Advances in Ecological Research 7: 87–114. .
- 2008. What limits trees in C4 grasslands and savannas? Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 39: 641–659. .
- 2008. Large multi-gene phylogenetic trees of the grasses (Poaceae): progress towards complete tribal and generic level sampling. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 47: 488–505. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effect of nitrogen nutrition on photosynthesis and growth in C4 Panicum-spp. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 295–302. .
- 1978. Difference in N use efficiency in C3 and C4 plants and its implications in adaptation and evolution. Crop Science 18: 93–98. .
- 2008. Photosynthetic pathway variation among C4 grasses along a precipitation gradient in Argentina. Journal of Biogeography 35: 131–140. , , , , .
- 2008. Oligocene CO2 decline promoted C4 photosynthesis in grasses. Current Biology 18: 37–43. , , , , , , .
- 2009a. Evolution of C4 phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in grasses, from genotype to phenotype. Molecular Biology and Evolution 26: 357–365. , , , , .
- 2009b. Integrating phylogeny into studies of C4 variation in the Grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 82–87. , , , , .
- 2006 onwards. Grassbase – the online world grass flora. http://www.kew.org/data/grasses-db.html . , , .
- 1994. Interpreting phenotypic variation in plants. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 9: 187–191. , , .
- 2002. Functional traits, productivity and effects on nitrogen cycling of 33 grassland species. Functional Ecology 16: 563–574. , , , , , .
- 1999. Leaf structure and development in C4 plants. In: SageRF, MonsonRK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 133–172. , .
- 1969. Differences in transpiration rates between tropical and temperate grasses under controlled conditions. Planta 88: 261–273. .
- 2008. Climate, phylogeny and the ecological distribution of C4 grasses. Ecology Letters 11: 266–276. , .
- 2007. The relevance of phylogeny to studies of global change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 243–249. , , .
- 1993. Evolutionary and ecological aspects of photosynthetic pathway variation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 411–439. , .
- 1983. Variation in quantum yield for CO2 uptake among C3 and C4 plants. Plant Physiology 73: 555–559. , .
- 1980. Photosynthetic pathways and the geographical distribution of grasses in South West Africa/Namibia. South African Journal of Science 76: 307–314. , , .
- 1992. Growth analysis of congeneric annual and perennial grass species. Journal of Ecology 80: 665–675. .
- 1997. Specific leaf area and leaf nitrogen concentration in annual and perennial grass species growing in mediterranean old-fields. Oecologia 111: 490–498. , , , .
- 2001. Carbon and water economy of Australian NAD-me and NADP-me C4 grasses. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 213–223. , , .
- 2002. The effect of drought on plant water use efficiency of nine NAD-me and nine NADP-me Australian C4 grasses. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1337–1348. , , .
- 2005. Faster Rubisco is the key to superior nitrogen-use efficiency in NADP-malic enzyme relative to NAD-malic enzyme C4 grasses. Plant Physiology 137: 638–650. , , , , , .
- 2001. A molecular phylogeny of the grass subfamily Panicoideae (Poaceae) shows multiple origins of C4 photosynthesis. American Journal of Botany 88: 1993–2012. , , , .
- 1975. Relative growth-rate: Its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 63: 393–422. , .
- 1974. Biochemical and cytological relationships in C4 plants. Planta 119: 279–300. , , .
- 1991. C4 photosynthetic pathway variation in grasses (Poaceae): its significance for arid and semi-arid lands. In: ChapmanGP, ed. Desertified grasslands: their biology and management. London, UK: Academic Press, 371–401. .
- 1981. Occurrence of the suberized lamella in leaves of grasses of different photosynthetic types I. In parenchymatous bundle sheaths and PCR (“Kranz”) sheaths. Protoplasma 109: 371–401. , .
- 2000. The Grasses: a case study in macroevolution. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31: 217–238. .
- 2003. Photosynthetic pathway alters xylem structure and hydraulic function in herbaceous plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 2015–2026. , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic pathway alters hydraulic structure and function in woody plants. Oecologia 139: 214–223. , .
- 1999. Environmental responses. In: SageRF, MonsonRK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–249. .
- 2008. Photosynthetic properties of C4 plants growing in an African savanna/wetland mosaic. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 3941–3952. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Are traits measured on pot grown plants representative of those in natural communities? Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 119–126. , .
- 2008. Atmosphere, ecology and evolution: what drove the Miocene expansion of C4 grasslands? Journal of Ecology 96: 35–45. .
- 2009. Ecological selection pressures for C4 photosynthesis in the Grasses. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 1753–1760. , .
- 1982. Functional significance of different pathways of CO2 fixation in photosynthesis. In: LangeOL, NobelPS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology: new series. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 479–547. , , .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-plus. London, UK: Springer. , .
- R Core Team. 2009. nlme: Linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package version 3.1–91. , , , ,
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. http://www.R-project.org
- 2003. Variation in growth rate and ecophysiology among 34 grassland and savanna species under contrasting N supply: a test of functional group differences. New Phytologist 157: 617–631. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Consequences of C4 photosynthesis for the partitioning of growth: a test using C3 and C4 subspecies of Alloteropsis semialata under nitrogen-limitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1705–1714. , , .
- 2004. The evolution of C4 photosynthesis. New Phytologist 161: 341–370. .
- 2007. Reinstatement and emendation of subfamily Micrairoideae (Poaceae). Systematic Botany 32: 71–80. , , , .
- 1996. Parallelism and diversity in multiple origins of C4 photosynthesis in the Grass Family. American Journal of Botany 83: 1458–1470. , .
- 1991. The productivity of C3 and C4 plants - a reassessment. Functional Ecology 5: 321–330. .
- 2000. Climate and the US distribution of C4 grass subfamilies and decarboxylation variants of C4 photosynthesis. American Journal of Botany 87: 1211–1215. .
- 2000. Relationship between leaf nitrogen and photosynthetic rate for three NAD-me and three NADP-me C4 grasses. American Journal of Botany 87: 412–417. , .
- 1981. Techniques and experimental approaches for the measurement of plant water status. Plant and Soil 58: 339–366. .
- 2008. The age of the Grasses and clusters of origins of C4 photosynthesis. Global Change Biology 14: 2963–2977. , , , , .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , , .