Adaptation of Medicago truncatula to nitrogen limitation is modulated via local and systemic nodule developmental responses
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
No claim to original French government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 817–828, February 2010
How to Cite
Jeudy, C., Ruffel, S., Freixes, S., Tillard, P., Santoni, A. L., Morel, S., Journet, E.-P., Duc, G., Gojon, A., Lepetit, M. and Salon, C. (2010), Adaptation of Medicago truncatula to nitrogen limitation is modulated via local and systemic nodule developmental responses. New Phytologist, 185: 817–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03103.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
- Received: 31 July 2009, Accepted: 6 October 2009
- 1997. Response of a hypernodulating soybean mutant to increased photosynthate supply. Plant Science 124: 119–129. , .
- 2007. Differential effects of combined N sources on early steps of the nod factor–dependent transduction pathway in Lotus japonicus. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 994–1003. , , , , .
- 2006. Growing M. truncatula: choice of substrates and growth conditions. In: MathesiusU, JournetEP, SumnerLW, eds. The Medicago truncatula handbook. ISBN 0-9754303-1-9. http://www.noble.org/MedicagoHandbook/ , , , , , , , , ,
- 1991. Short-term and long-term effects of a change in the spatial-distribution of nitrate in the root zone on N uptake, growth and root development of young lettuce plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 21–33. .
- 1990. Early induction of feedback regulatory responses governing nodulation in soybean. Plant Science 71: 69–81. , .
- 1991. Alfalfa controls nodulation during the onset of Rhizobium-induced cortical cell division. Plant Physiology 95: 366–373. , .
- 1990. Nitrate inhibition of nodulation in legumes. In: GresshoffPM, ed. Molecular biology of symbiotic nitrogen fixation. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 159–180. , .
- 1985. Isolation and properties of soybean mutants that nodulate in the presence of high nitrate concentrations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 82: 4162–4166. , , .
- 2001. Major alterations of the regulation of root NO3− uptake are associated with the mutation of Nrt2.1 and Nrt2.2 genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 262–271. , , , , , .
- 2004. Pharmacological evidence that multiple phospholipid signaling pathways link Rhizobium nodulation factor perception in Medicago truncatula root hairs to intracellular responses, including Ca2+spiking and specific ENOD gene expression. Plant Physiology 136: 3582–3593. , , , , .
- 1991. Effect of localized nitrate application on Isoflavonoid concentration and nodulation in split-root systems of wild-type and nodulation-mutant soybean plants. Plant Physiology 95: 1106–1112. , .
- 1992. The shoot apex is not the source of the systemic signal controlling nodule numbers in soybean. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 249–254. , , .
- 1975. Comparison of the effects of a localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on the growth of the seminal root system, and the shoot, in barley. New Phytologist 75: 479–490. .
- 2003. Signaling interactions during nodule development. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 22: 47–72. , .
- 2001. An arabidopsis T-DNA mutant affected in Nrt2 genes is impaired in nitrate uptake. FEBS Letters 489: 220–224. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of long-distance signalling in plant responses to nitrate and other nutrients. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 39–43. .
- 2001. The nutritional control of root development. Plant and Soil 232: 51–68. , .
- 2001. Differential regulation of the NO3− and NH4+ transporter genes AtNrt2.1 and AtAmt1.1 in Arabidopsis: relation with long-distance and local controls by N status of the plant. Plant Journal 26: 143–155. , , , .
- 1991. Autoregulatory responses of Phaseolus vulgaris L. to symbiotic mutants of Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. phaseoli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57: 2687–2692. , .
- 2009. Genetic analysis of ethylene regulation of legume nodulation. Plant Signaling and Behaviour 4: 1–9. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Root hair deformation activity of nodulation factors and their fate on Vicia sativa. Plant Physiology 105: 787–797. , , , , , .
- 1997. Nod factor-induced expression of leghemoglobin to study the mechanism of NH4NO3 inhibition on root hair deformation. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 10: 215–220. , , , , .
- 2002. Shoot-control and genetic mapping of the har1-1 (hypernodulation and aberrant root formation) mutant of Lotus japonicus. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1371–1376. , .
- 2001. Medicago truncatula ENOD11: a novel RPRP-encoding early nodulin gene expressed during mycorrhization in arbuscule-containing cells. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 14: 737–748. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Host sanctions and the legume–rhizobium mutualism. Nature 425: 78–81. , , , .
- 2006. Legume nodulation: successful symbiosis through short- and long-distance signalling. Functional Plant Biology 33: 707–721. , , .
- 1984. Suppression of nodule development of one side of a split root system of soybeans caused by prior inoculation of the other side. Plant Physiology 75: 125–130. , .
- 1984. Dynamics of carbon photosynthetically assimilated in nodulated soya plants grown under steady state conditions. Annals of Botany 53: 883–896. , .
- 2006. Regulation of the High-Affinity NO3 - Uptake System by NRT1.1-Mediated NO3 - Demand Signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 142: 1075–1086. , , .
- 2002. Shoot control of root development en nodulation is mediated by a receptor like kinase. Nature 420: 422–426. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. LIN, a Medicago truncatula gene required for nodule differentiation and persistence of rhizobial infections. Plant Physiology 136: 3682–3691. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Tissue-specific expression of arabidopsis AKT1 gene is consistent with a role in K+ nutrition. Plant Journal 9: 195–203. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Shoot control of nitrate uptake rates by roots of Brassica napus L.: effects of localized nitrate supply. Planta 196: 77–83. , , .
- 1999. Molecular and functional regulation of two NO3- uptake systems by N- and C-status of Arabidopsis plants. Plant Journal 18: 509–519. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Nitrate induced regulation of nodule formation in soybean. Plant Physiology 84: 266–271. , , .
- 2005. Interaction between Medicago truncatula lines and sinorhizobium meliloti strains for symbiotic efficiency and nodule antioxydant activities. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 4–11. , , , , .
- 2008. The model symbiotic association between Medicago truncatula cv Jemalong and Rhizobium meliloti strain 2011 leads to N-stressed plants when symbiotic N2 fixation is the main N source for plant growth. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3509–3522. , , , .
- 2002. HAR1 mediates systemic regulation of symbiotic organ development. Nature 420: 426–429. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Long-distance signaling to control root nodule number. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 496–502. , .
- 2009. Nod factor/nitrate-induced CLE genes that drive HAR1-mediated systemic regulation of nodulation. Plant Cell Physiology 50: 67–77. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Symbiotic competence in Lotus japonicus is affected by plant nitrogen status: transcriptomic identification of genes affected by a new signalling pathway. New Phytologist, 183: 380–394. , , , , , .
- 2006. The Arabidopsis NRT1.1 transporter participates in the signaling pathway triggering root colonization of nitrate-rich patches. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 19206–19211. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The responses of plants to nonuniform supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 127: 635–674. .
- 2008. Systemic signaling of the plant N status triggers specific transcriptome responses depending on the N source in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 146: 2020–2035. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Grain legume seed filling in relation to nitrogen acquisition : a review and prospects with particular reference to pea. Agronomie 21: 539–552. , , , , , , , .
- SAS Institute. 1987. SAS/STAT guide for personal vomputer, 6th edn. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute.
- 2005. The Medicago truncatula SUNN gene encodes a CLV1-like leucine-rich repeat receptor kinase that regulates nodule number and root length. Plant Molecular Biology 58: 809–822. , , , , .
- 1988. Nitrogenase activity and oxygen diffusion in nodules of soybean cv Bragg and a supernodulating mutant: effect of nitrate. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 865–877. , , .
- 2003. Long-distance signaling in nodulation directed by a CLAVATA1-like receptor kinase. Science 299: 109–112. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Symbiotic N2 fixation response to drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 143–155. , , .
- 1987. Effect of localized nitrogen availability to soybean half-root systems on photosynthate partitioning to roots and nodules. Plant Physiology 83: 552–556. , .
- 1988. Environmental effects on nitrogen fixation. In: SummerfieldRJ, ed. World crops: cool season food legumes. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 801–810. , , .
- 1988. Inhibition of legume nodule formation and N2 fixation by nitrate. Critical Review in Plant Sciences 7: 1–23. , .
- 2006. Spontaneous root-nodule formation in the model legume Lotus japonicus: a novel class of mutants nodulates in the absence of rhizobia. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 373–382. , , , .
- 1989. Alfalfa nodulation in the absence of Rhizobium. Molecular Genetic and Genomics 219: 65–68. , , , , , .
- 1991. Carbon in N2 fixation - limitation or exquisite adaptation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 373–392. , .
- 1997. Human domination of Earth’s ecosystems. Science 277: 494–499. , , , .
- 2003. Symbiotic N2 fixation in relation to C economy of Pisum sativum L. as a function of plant phenology. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2733–2744. , , , .
- 1989. Why and how to estimate the cost of symbiotic N2 fixation ? A progressive approach based on the use of 14C and 15N isotopes. Plant and Soil 115: 167–177. , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science 279: 407–409. , .
- 1999. Dual pathways for regulation of root branching by nitrate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 6529–6534. , , , .