Leaf nitrogen to phosphorus ratios of tropical trees: experimental assessment of physiological and environmental controls
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 770–779, February 2010
How to Cite
Cernusak, L. A., Winter, K. and Turner, B. L. (2010), Leaf nitrogen to phosphorus ratios of tropical trees: experimental assessment of physiological and environmental controls. New Phytologist, 185: 770–779. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03106.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
- Received: 28 August 2009, Accepted: 8 October 2009
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 1–67. , .
- 2004. The C : N : P stoichiometry of autotrophs – theory and observations. Ecology Letters 7: 185–191. .
- 2008. Stoichiometry and nutrition of plant growth in natural communities. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 39: 153–170. .
- 1995. Soil nutrient bioavailability: a mechanistic approach. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 1919. The compound interest law and plant growth. Annals of Botany 33: 353–360. .
- 2007. Transpiration efficiency of a tropical pioneer tree (Ficus insipida) in relation to soil fertility. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 3549–3566. , , , , .
- 2008. Conifers, angiosperm trees, and lianas: growth, whole-plant water and nitrogen use efficiency, and stable isotope composition (δ13C and δ18O) of seedlings grown in a tropical environment. Plant Physiology 148: 642–659. , , , .
- 2009. Physiological and isotopic (δ13C and δ18O) responses of three tropical tree species to water and nutrient availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1441–1455. , , .
- 2005. The chemistry and dynamics of soil organic phosphorus. In: SimsJT, SharpleyAN, eds. Phosphorus: agriculture and the environment. Madison, WI, USA: ASA-CSSA-SSSA, 87–121. , ,
- 2008. Nutrient concentration ratios and co-limitation in South African grasslands. New Phytologist 179: 829–836. , , .
- 2008. Nutrient availability moderates transpiration in Ehrharta calycina. New Phytologist 179: 1048–1057. , , .
- 2009. The importance of nutritional regulation of plant water flux. Oecologia 161: 15–24. , , .
- 2001. Influence of tree internal N status on uptake and translocation of C and N in beech: a dual 13C and 15N labeling approach. Tree Physiology 21: 395–401. , .
- 1995. Differential response of leaf conductance, carbon isotope discrimination and water use efficiency to nitrogen deficiency in maritime pine and pedunculate oak plants. New Phytologist 131: 149–157. , , .
- 2004. N : P ratios in terrestrial plants: variation and functional significance. New Phytologist 164: 243–266. .
- 2002. Variation in nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations of wetland plants. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 5: 37–61. , .
- 2008. High variation in foliage and leaf litter chemistry among 45 tree species of a neotropical rainforest community. New Phytologist 179: 165–175. , , , , .
- 2008. A unifying framework for dinitrogen fixation in the terrestrial biosphere. Nature 454: 327–330. , , , .
- 2003. Biogeochemical implications of labile phosphorus in forest soils determined by the Hedley fractionation procedure. Oecologia 135: 487–499. , , .
- 2006. Phylogenetic and growth form variation in the scaling of nitrogen and phosphorus in the seed plants. American Naturalist 168: E103–E122. , , , .
- 2005. Comment on “Ecosystem properties and forest decline in contrasting long-term chronosequences”. Science 308: 633. .
- 1996. The vegetation N : P ratio: a new tool to detect the nature of nutrient limitation. Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 1441–1450. , .
- 1999. The effects of nitrogen stress on the stable carbon isotope composition, productivity and water use efficiency of white spruce (Picea glauca (Moench) Voss) seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 281–289. , , , .
- 2009. N : P stoichiometry and protein : RNA ratios in vascular plants: an evaluation of the growth-rate hypothesis. Ecology Letters 12: 765–771. , .
- 2004. Scaling of C : N : P stoichiometry in forests worldwide: implications of terrestrial redfield-type ratios. Ecology 85: 2390–2401. , , .
- 1994. Legumes and nitrogen: the evolutionary ecology of a nitrogen-demanding lifestyle. In: SprentJI, McKeyDM, eds. Advances in legume systematics 5: the nitrogen factor. Kew, UK: The Royal Botanic Gardens, 211–228. .
- 2006. Plant allometry, leaf nitrogen and phosphorus stoichiometry, and interspecific trends in annual growth rates. Annals of Botany 97: 155–163. .
- 2005. Nitrogen/phosphorus leaf stoichiometry and the scaling of plant growth. Ecology Letters 8: 636–642. , , , .
- 2004. Plant nutrition and water use efficiency. In: BaconMA, ed. Water use efficiency in plant biology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 171–197. , , .
- 2004. Global patterns of plant leaf N and P in relation to temperature and latitude. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 11001–11006. , .
- 2004. Variation in nitrogen supply changes water-use efficiency of Pseudotsuga menziesii and Populus × euroamericana; a comparison of three approaches to determine water-use efficiency. Tree Physiology 24: 671–679. , , , , .
- 2007. Leaf functional traits of tropical forest plants in relation to growth form. Functional Ecology 21: 19–27. , .
- 2007. Removal of nutrient limitations by long-term fertilization decreases nocturnal water loss in savanna trees. Tree Physiology 27: 551–559. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ecological stoichiometry: the biology of elements from molecules to the biosphere. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , .
- 2003. Use of nitrogen to phosphorus ratios in plant tissue as an indicator of nutrient limitation and nitrogen saturation. Journal of Applied Ecology 40: 523–534. , .
- 1994. The role of soil organic matter in sustaining soil fertility. Nature 371: 783–785. , , .
- 2000. Solute movement in the rhizosphere. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2007. Controls over foliar N : P ratios in tropical rain forests. Ecology 88: 107–118. , , , .
- 2007. Soil organic phosphorus transformations during pedogenesis. Ecosystems 10: 1166–1181. , , , , .
- 2005. Assessing the generality of global leaf trait relationships. New Phytologist 166: 485–496. , , , , , , , , , et al.