Heterotrimeric G proteins regulate reproductive trait plasticity in response to water availability
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 734–746, February 2010
How to Cite
Nilson, S. E. and Assmann, S. M. (2010), Heterotrimeric G proteins regulate reproductive trait plasticity in response to water availability. New Phytologist, 185: 734–746. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03120.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2009
- Received: 18 September 2009, Accepted: 13 October 2009
- 2007. Expression analysis and subcellular localization of the Arabidopsis thaliana G-protein β-subunit AGB1. Plant Cell Reports 26: 1469–1480. , .
- 2002. Heterotrimeric and unconventional GTP binding proteins in plant cell signaling. Plant Cell 14: S355–S373. .
- 2004. Plant G proteins, phytohormones, and plasticity: three questions and a speculation. Science’s STKE 2004: re20. .
- 2005. G proteins Go green: a plant G protein signaling FAQ sheet. Science 310: 71–73. .
- 1972. Some of the evolutionary consequences of being a plant. Evolutionary Biology 5: 25–47. .
- 2007. Plasticity and environment-specific covariances: an investigation of floral–vegetative and within flower correlations. Evolution 61: 2913–2924. , .
- 2005. Plasticity genes and plasticity costs: a new approach using an Arabidopsis recombinant inbred population. New Phytologist 166: 129–140. , , .
- 2003. A seven-transmembrane RGS protein that modulates plant cell proliferation. Science 301: 1728–1731. , , , , , , .
- 2004. GCR1 can act independently of heterotrimeric G-protein in response to brassinosteroids and gibberellins in Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Physiology 135: 907–915. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential roles of Arabidopsis heterotrimeric G-protein subunits in modulating cell division in roots. Plant Physiology 141: 887–897. , , .
- 2005. GPCR deorphanizations: the novel, the known and the unexpected transmitters. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 26: 15–19. .
- 2008. Arabidopsis extra-large G proteins (XLGS) regulate root morphogenesis. Plant Journal 53: 248–263. , , .
- 2008. Abscisic acid regulation of guard-cell K+ and anion channels in Gβ- and RGS-deficient Arabidopsis lines. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 8476–8481. , , , , , .
- 2008. Amino acid polymorphism in Arabidopsis phytochrome B cause differential responses to light. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 3157–3162. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The repertoire of G-protein-coupled receptors in fully sequenced genomes. Molecular Pharmacology 67: 1414–1425. , .
- 2004. An experimental test of the adaptive evolution of phototropins: blue-light photoreceptors controlling phototropism in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 58: 515–523. , , .
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation to new environments. Functional Ecology 21: 394–407. , , , .
- 2004. Effect of drought stress on lipid metabolism in the leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana (Ecotype Columbia). Annals of Botany 94: 345–351. , , , , .
- 2008. Whole proteome identification of plant candidate G-protein coupled receptors in Arabidopsis, rice, and poplar: computational prediction and in-vivo protein coupling. Genome Biology 9: R120. , , .
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci affecting δ13C and response to differential water availability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 59: 81–96. , , , , , .
- 1994. Regulated expression of the Arabidopsis G protein α subunit gene GPA1. International Journal of Plant Sciences 155: 3. , , .
- 2002. Plants versus animals: do they deal with stress in different ways? Integrative and Comparative Biology 42: 415–423. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. GTPase acceleration as the rate-limiting step in Arabidopsis G protein-coupled sugar signaling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 17317–17322. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A reevaluation of the role of the heterotrimeric G protein in coupling light responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 131: 1623–1627. , , .
- 2005. Different signaling and cell death roles of heterotrimeric G protein α and β subunits in the Arabidopsis oxidative stress response to ozone. Plant Cell 17: 957–970. , , , , .
- 2005. Epistasis and gene–environment interaction for quantitative trait loci affecting flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetica 123: 83–101. , , , .
- 2005. Stochasticity in gene expression: from theories to phenotypes. Nature Reviews. Genetics 6: 451–464. , , , .
- 2002. Genetic architecture of plastic methyl jasmonate responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 161: 1685–1696. , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis HY2 gene encodes phytochromobilin synthase, a ferredoxin-dependent biliverdin reductase. Plant Cell 13: 425–436. , , , , , .
- 2000. Design of experiments: statistical principles of research design and analysis, 2nd edn. Pacific Grove, CA, USA: Duxbury Press. .
- 2009. Genetics of phenotypic plasticity: QTL analysis in barley, Hordeum vulgare. Heredity 102: 163–173. , , .
- 2001. A mutant Arabidopsis heterotrimeric G-protein β subunit affects leaf, flower, and fruit development. Plant Cell 13: 2631–2641. , , , , , .
- 1999. Arabidopsis thaliana‘extra-large GTP-binding protein’ (AtXLG1): a new class of G-protein. Plant Molecular Biology 40: 55–64. , .
- 2005. ERECTA receptor-like kinase and heterotrimeric G protein from Arabidopsis are required for resistance to the necrotrophic fungus Plectosphaerella cucumerina. Plant Journal 43: 165–180. , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular cloning and characterization of GPA1, a G protein α subunit gene from Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 3821–3825. , , .
- 2000. Completing the heterotrimer: isolation and characterization of an Arabidopsis thaliana G protein γ-subunit cDNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 14784–14788. , .
- 2001. Isolation of a novel G-protein γ-subunit from Arabidopsis thaliana and its interaction with Gβ. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1520: 147–153. , .
- 1999. Biomass allocation in plants: ontogeny or optimality? A test along three resource gradients. Ecology 80: 2581–2593. , .
- 2005. G-protein signaling: back to the future. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 62: 551–577. , , , , .
- 2003. Arguments for rejecting the sequential Bonferroni in ecological studies. Oikos 100: 403–405. .
- 2006. Mining the Arabidopsis thaliana genome for highly-divergent seven transmembrane receptors. Genome Biology 7: R96. , , , , .
- 1999. The Arabidopsis photomorphogenic mutant hy1 is deficient in phytochrome chromophore biosynthesis as a result of a mutation in a plastid heme oxygenase. Plant Cell 11: 335–348. , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis putative G protein-coupled receptor GCR1 interacts with the G protein α subunit GPA1 and regulates abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell 16: 1616–1632. , .
- 2006. G-protein complex mutants are hypersensitive to abscisic acid regulation of germination and postgermination development. Plant Physiology 141: 243–256. , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of root-wave response by extra large and conventional G proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 311–322. , , , .
- 2009. Two novel GPCR-type G proteins are abscisic acid receptors in Arabidopsis. Cell 136: 136–148. , , .
- 2004. Plant heterotrimeric G protein function: insights from Arabidopsis and rice mutants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 719–731. , , .
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity and integration in response to flooded conditions in natural accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh (Brassicaceae). Annals of Botany 90: 199–207. , .
- 1999. Genes affecting phenotypic plasticity in Arabidopsis: pleiotropic effects and reproductive fitness of photomorphogenic mutants. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12: 551–562. , .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity in response to foliar and neutral shade in gibberellin mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6: 243–259. , .
- 2005. Noise in gene expression: origins, consequences, and control. Science 309: 2010–2013. , .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225. .
- 2004. When defense pathways collide. The response of Arabidopsis to a combination of drought and heat stress. Plant Physiology 134: 1683–1696. , , , , , .
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 17: 667–693. .
- 2006. Effects of preconditioning and temperature during germination for 73 natural accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana. Annals of Botany 97: 623–634. , , , , .
- 2004. Inherited diseases involving G proteins and G protein-coupled receptors. Annual Review of Medicine 55: 27–39. , .
- 2005. Statistical convenience versus biological insight: consequences of data transformation for the analysis of fitness variation in heterogeneous environments. New Phytologist 166: 319–338. , .
- 1987. Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Evolutionary Biology 21: 127–178. .
- 2007. The plant heterotrimeric G-protein complex. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 249–266. , .
- 2006. Heterotrimeric G proteins facilitate Arabidopsis resistance to necrotrophic pathogens and are involved in jasmonate signaling. Plant Physiology 140: 210–220. , , , , , .
- 2008. Gγ1 + Gγ2 ≠ Gβ: heterotrimeric G protein Gγ-deficient mutants do not recapitulate all phenotypes of Gβ-deficient mutants. Plant Physiology 147: 636–649. , , , .
- 2001. Modulation of cell proliferation by heterotrimeric G protein in Arabidopsis. Science 292: 2066–2069. , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of a heterotrimeric G protein in regulation of Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Physiology 129: 897–907. , , , .
- 2003. The β-subunit of the Arabidopsis G protein negatively regulates auxin-induced cell division and affects multiple developmental processes. Plant Cell 15: 393–409. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genotype–environment interactions at quantitative trait loci affecting inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 353–365. , , , .
- 2009. The fitness costs of developmental canalization and plasticity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22: 852–860. , .
- 2001. G protein regulation of ion channels and abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis guard cells. Science 292: 2070–2072. , , , .
- 2007. Heterotrimeric G protein signaling in the Arabidopsis unfolded protein response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 3817–3822. , , .
- 2006. Genetic diseases associated with heterotrimeric G proteins. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 27: 260–266. , , , .
- 1994. Isolation of cDNAs encoding guanine nucleotide-binding protein β-subunit homologues from maize (ZGB1) and Arabidopsis (AGB1). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 9554–9558. , , , , .
- 1998. The detection of plasticity genes in heterogeneous environments. Evolution 52: 967–977. .
- 2008a. Heterotrimeric G protein α and β subunits antagonistically modulate stomatal density in Arabidopsis thaliana. Developmental Biology 324: 68–75. , , , .
- 2008b. The plant innate immunity response in stomatal guard cells invokes G-protein-dependent ion channel regulation. Plant Journal 56: 984–996. , , .