Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 4, pages 1108–1118, March 2010
How to Cite
Verhoeven, K. J. F., Jansen, J. J., van Dijk, P. J. and Biere, A. (2010), Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions. New Phytologist, 185: 1108–1118. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03121.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Received: 2 September 2009, Accepted: 21 October 2009
- 2005. Novel patterns of gene expression in polyploid plants. Trends in Genetics 21: 539–543. , .
- 2004. Specific hypomethylation of DNA is induced by heavy metals in white clover and industrial hemp. Physiologia Plantarum 121: 472–480. , , , , , .
- 2007. Epigenetic inheritance in rice plants. Annals of Botany 100: 205–217. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecology Letters 11: 106–115. , , .
- 2008. Epigenetic control of plant stress response. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 49: 61–72. , .
- 2007. Transgenerational changes in the genome stability and methylation in pathogen-infected plants (virus-induced plant genome instability). Nucleic Acids Research 35: 1714–1725. , , , , , .
- 2000. Stress and transposable elements: co-evolution or useful parasites? Heredity 85: 101–106. , , , .
- 1999. AFLP markers in a molecular linkage map of maize: codominant scoring and linkage group distribution. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 425–431. , , , .
- 2005. Gardening the genome: DNA methylation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 351–360. , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms for gene expression and phenotypic variation in plant polyploids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 377–406. .
- 2009. Epigenetic regulation of stress responses in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 133–139. , .
- 2007. Abiotic-stress induces demethylation and transcriptional activation of a gene encoding a glycerophosphodiesterase-like protein in tobacco plants. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 277: 589–600. , .
- 2008. Shotgun bisulphite sequencing of the Arabidopsis genome reveals DNA methylation patterning. Nature 452: 215–219. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry. Nature 401: 157–161. , , .
- 2003. Ecological and evolutionary opportunities of apomixis: insights from Taraxacum and Chondrilla. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 358: 1113–1120. .
- 1999. Crosses between sexual and apomictic dandelions (Taraxacum). II. The breakdown of apomixis. Heredity 83: 715–721. , , , .
- 2006. Extent and pattern of DNA methylation alteration in rice lines derived from introgressive hybridization of rice and Zizania latifolia Griseb. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113: 196–205. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A rapid total DNA preparation procedure for fresh plant tissue. Focus 12: 13–15. , .
- 1997. Salicylic acid and disease resistance in plants. Trends in Plant Science 2: 266–274. , , .
- 1982. The jackknife, the bootstrap, and other resampling plans. CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics 38. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia PA, USA. .
- 2005. DNA hypomethylation in 5-azacytidine-induced early-flowering lines of flax. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 136–149. , , , .
- 2001. Parental environmental effects on life history in the herbaceous plant Campanula americana. Ecology 82: 2781–2789. .
- 1996. Plasticity in root shoot partitioning: optimal, ontogenetic, or both? Functional Ecology 10: 44–50. , , .
- 2005. Contrasting mechanisms of defense against biotrophic and necrotrophic pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 205–227. .
- 2006. Epigenetics and its implications for plant biology 2. The ‘epigenetic epiphany’: epigenetics, evolution and beyond. Annals of Botany 97: 11–27. , .
- 2001. Genomic imprinting and seed development: endosperm formation with and without sex. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 21–27. , , , .
- 2007. Epigenetic inheritance in plants. Nature 447: 418–424. , .
- 2007. Within and between generation phenotypic plasticity in trichome density of Mimulus guttatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20: 2092–2100. .
- 2008. Plant immunity to insect herbivores. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 41–66. , .
- 2009. Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: prevalence, mechanisms, and implications for the study of heredity and evolution. Quarterly Review of Biology 84: 131–176. , .
- 2008. Epigenome dynamics: a quantitative genetics perspective. Nature Reviews Genetics 9: 883–890. , , .
- 2009. Assessing the impact of transgenerational epigenetic variation on complex traits. Plos Genetics 5: e1000530. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Meiotically and mitotically stable inheritance of DNA hypomethylation induced by ddm1 mutation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 151: 831–838. , , , .
- 2004. Epialleles via DNA methylation: consequences for plant evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19: 309–314. , .
- 2009. DNA demethylation in hormone-induced transcriptional derepression. Nature 461: 1007–1012. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Genotypic variation within asexual lineages of Taraxacum officinale. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 998–1002. , .
- 2004. Enhanced power of QTL detection for Fusarium head blight resistance in wheat by means of codominant scoring of hemizygous molecular markers. Molecular Breeding 13: 289–300. , , , , .
- 1999. Listening to the silent genes: transgene silencing, gene regulation and pathogen control. Trends in Plant Science 4: 340–347. , , .
- 1978. Multidimensional scaling. Sage University Paper Series on Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences 07-011. Sage Publications, Newbury Park CA, USA. , .
- 2002. Analysis of cytosine methylation pattern in response to water deficit in pea root tips. Plant Biology 4: 694–699. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Role of transposable elements in heterochromatin and epigenetic control. Nature 430: 471–476. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Highly integrated single-base resolution maps of the epigenome in Arabidopsis. Cell 133: 523–536. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Potentiality of methylation-sensitive amplification polymorphism (MSAP) in identifying genes involved in tomato response to tomato yellow leaf curl Sardinia virus. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 26: 156–173. , , , , , .
- 1994. Effect of site-specific modification on restriction endonucleases and DNA modification methyltransferases. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 3640–3659. , , .
- 1997. Jasmonate is essential for insect defense Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 5473–5477. , , , , .
- 2001. Mobilization of transposons by a mutation abolishing full DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. Nature 411: 212–214. , , , , , .
- 2006. Transgeneration memory of stress in plants. Nature 442: 1046–1049. , , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic alterations after hybridization and genome doubling. Taxon 56: 649–656. , , , .
- 2007. Plant interactions with microbes and insects: from molecular mechanisms to ecology. Trends in Plant Science 12: 564–569. , .
- 2005. Epigenetics and plant evolution. New Phytologist 168: 81–91. , .
- 1989. A comparison of within-plant karyological heterogeneity between agamospermous and sexual Taraxacum (Compositae) as assessed by the nucleolar organizer chromosome. Plant Systematics and Evolution 163: 177–185. .
- 2006. Inherited epigenetic variation – revisiting soft inheritance. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 395–401. .
- 2008. Population epigenetics. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 18: 221–226. .
- 2008. Plasticity in salt tolerance traits allows for invasion of novel habitat by Japanese knotweed s. l. (Fallopia japonica and F. bohemica, Polygonaceae). American Journal of Botany 95: 931–942. , , , , , .
- 2007. REBASE – enzymes and genes for DNA restriction and modification. Nucleic Acids Research 35: D269–D270. , , , .
- 2002. Dynamic reprogramming of DNA methylation in the early mouse embryo. Developmental Biology 241: 172–182. , , , .
- 2006. Dominance relationships between self-incompatibility alleles controlled by DNA methylation. Nature Genetics 38: 297–299. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Transposable elements and the epigenetic regulation of the genome. Nature Reviews Genetics 8: 272–285. , .
- 2009. Epigenetic reprogramming and small RNA silencing of transposable elements in pollen. Cell 136: 461–472. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Epigenetic variation in Arabidopsis disease resistance. Genes & Development 16: 171–182. , , .
- 1996. Phenotypic plasticity for offspring traits in Polygonum persicaria. Ecology 77: 1791–1807. .
- 2009. A role for RNAi in the selective correction of DNA methylation defects. Science 323: 1600–1604. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Epigenetic natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plos Biology 5: 1617–1629. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Changes in genomic methylation patterns during the formation of triploid asexual dandelion lineages. Molecular Ecology doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2009.04460.x. , , . (in press).
- 2007. Genetic linkage mapping of apomixis loci. In: HörandlE, GrossniklausU, van DijkPJ, SharbelTF, eds. Apomixis: evolution, mechanisms and perspectives. Vienna, Austria: International Association for Plant Taxonomy, 137–158. , .
- 1995. AFLP – a new technique for DNA-fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Research 23: 4407–4414. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Association between up-regulation of stress-responsive genes and hypomethylation of genomic DNA in tobacco plants. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 271: 658–666. , , , .
- 2009. Adaptive epigenetic memory of ancestral temperature regime in Arabidopsis thaliana. Botany-Botanique 87: 650–657. , , , .
- 2008. The epigenetic landscape of plants. Science 320: 489–492. .
- 2007. Genome-wide analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana DNA methylation uncovers an interdependence between methylation and transcription. Nature Genetics 39: 61–69. , , , , .