Glucose 1-phosphate is efficiently taken up by potato (Solanum tuberosum) tuber parenchyma cells and converted to reserve starch granules
Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 663–675, February 2010
How to Cite
Fettke, J., Albrecht, T., Hejazi, M., Mahlow, S., Nakamura, Y. and Steup, M. (2010), Glucose 1-phosphate is efficiently taken up by potato (Solanum tuberosum) tuber parenchyma cells and converted to reserve starch granules. New Phytologist, 185: 663–675. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03126.x
- Issue online: 15 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2009
- Received: 8 September 2009, Accepted: 24 October 2009
- 1998. Homodimers and heterodimers of Pho1-type phosphorylase isoforms in Solanum tuberosum L. as revealed by sequence-specific antibodies. European Journal of Biochemistry 251: 343–352. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plastidic (Pho1-type) phosphorylase isoforms in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) plants: expression analysis and immunochemical characterization. Planta 213: 602–613. , , , , , .
- 2000. The intricate pathway of starch biosynthesis and degradation in the monocellular alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Australian Journal of Chemistry 55: 49–60. .
- 2003. From bacterial glycogen to starch: understanding the biogenesis of the plant starch granule. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 207–233. , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2004. A cytosolic glucosyltransferase is required for the conversion of starch to sucrose in Arabidopsis leaves at night. Plant Journal 37: 853–863. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Metabolism of glucose monophosphates by leucoplasts and amyloplasts from soybean suspension cultures. Phytochemistry 35: 881–883. , .
- 1996. Untersuchungen zur Funktion von α-Glucan phosphorylasen in höheren Pflanzen. PhD thesis. University of Potsdam, Germany. .
- 2001. Analysis of the compartmentation of glycolytic intermediates, nucleotides, sugars, organic acids, amino acids, and sugar alcohols in potato tubers using a nonaqueous fractionation method. Plant Physiology 127: 685–700. , , , , , .
- 2002a. Potato plants exhibiting combined antisense repression of cytosolic and plastidial isoforms of phosphoglucomutase surprisingly approximate wild type with respect to the rate of starch synthesis. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 40: 921–927. , , , , , .
- 2002b. Antisense repression of cytosolic phosphoglucomutase in potato (Solanum tuberosum) results in severe growth retardation, reduction in tuber number and altered carbon metabolism. Planta 214: 510–520. , , , , , .
- 2002. Integral membrane proteins of the chloroplast envelope: identification and subcellular localization of new transporters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 11487–11492. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of cytosolic heteroglycans from leaves of transgenic potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) plants that under- or overexpress the Pho2 phosphorylase isozyme. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 1987–2004. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A transglucosidase necessary for starch degradation and maltose metabolism in leaves at night acts on cytosolic heteroglycans (SHG). Plant Journal 46: 668–684. , , , , .
- 2008. Alterations in cytosolic glucose-phosphate metabolism affect structural features and biochemical properties of starch-related heteroglycans. Plant Physiology 148: 1614–1629. , , , , , .
- 2009. Cytosolic heteroglycans in photoautotrophic and heterotrophic plant cells. Phytochemical 70: 696–702. , , , .
- 1998. Metabolism in slices from growing potato tubers responds differently to addition of sucrose and glucose. Planta 206: 234–244. , , .
- 2008. Glucan, water dikinase phosphorylates crystalline maltodextrins and thereby initiates solubilization. Plant Journal 55: 323–334. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular characterization of a carbon transporter in plastids from heterotrophic tissues: the glucose 6-phosphate/phosphate antiporter. Plant Cell 10: 105–117. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence for a glucose 1-phosphate translocator in storage tissue amyloplasts of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) suspension-cultured cells. Physiologia Plantarum 91: 111–120. , .
- 2004. Repression of a novel isoform of disproportionating enzyme (stDPE2) in potato leads to inhibition of starch degradation in leaves but not tubers stored at low temperature. Plant Physiology 134: 1347–1354. , , , .
- 2004. The role of amylomaltase in maltose metabolism in the cytosol of photosynthetic cells. Planta 218: 466–473. , .
- 2002. Carbon assimilation and metabolism in potato leaves deficient in the plastidial phosphoglucomutase. Planta 215: 271–274. , , , .
- 1992. Antisense inhibition of the ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase in transgenic potato leads to sugar-storing tubers and influences tuber formation and expression of tuber storage protein genes. EMBO Journal 11: 1229–1238. , , .
- 1997. Starch synthesis in amyloplasts purified from developing potato tubers. Plant Journal 11: 1095–1103. , , .
- 2000. Reversible binding of the starch-related R1 protein to the surface of transitory starch granules. Plant Journal 21: 387–391. , , .
- 2002. Antisense-inhibition of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in Vicia narbonensis seeds increases soluble sugars and leads to higher water and nitrogen uptake. Planta 214: 954–964. , , , .
- 2008. Mutation of the plastidial alpha-glucan phosphorylase gene in rice affects the synthesis and structure of starch in the endosperm. Plant Cell 20: 1833–1849. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. ARAMEMNON, a novel database for Arabidopsis integral membrane proteins. Plant Physiology 131: 16–26. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The amyloplast proteome of potato tuber. The FEBS Journal 275: 1723–1741. , , , , .
- 1981. Mode of glucan degradation by purified phosphorylase forms from spinach leaves. Planta 153: 351–361. , .
- 2000. Antisense inhibition of plastidial phosphoglucomutase provides compelling evidence that potato tuber amyloplasts import carbon from the cytosol in the form of glulcose 6-phosphate. Plant Journal 23: 43–53. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Reconstitution of the hexose phosphate translocator from the envelope membranes of wheat endosperm amyloplasts. Biochemical Journal 319: 717–723. , , .
- 2003. Starch synthesis in cereal grains. Advances in Botanical Research 40: 1–61. , .
- 1996. Control of starch composition and structure through substrate supply in the monocellular alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 16281–16287. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Antisense-inhibition of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in developing seeds of Vicia narbonensis moderately decreases starch but increases protein contgent and affects seed maturation. Plant Journal 24: 33–43. , , , , , .
- 2009. ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase-deficient pea embryos reveal specific transcriptional and metabolic changes of carbon-nitrogen metabolism and stress responses. Plant Physiology 149: 395–411. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Starch synthesis in Arabidopsis: granule synthesis, composition, and structure. Plant Physiology 129: 516–529. , , , , , .