A dynamic model of nutrient uptake by root hairs
Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 3, pages 792–802, February 2010
How to Cite
Leitner, D., Klepsch, S., Ptashnyk, M., Marchant, A., Kirk, G. J. D., Schnepf, A. and Roose, T. (2010), A dynamic model of nutrient uptake by root hairs. New Phytologist, 185: 792–802. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03128.x
- Issue online: 15 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2009
- Received: 27 March 2009, Accepted: 26 October 2009
- 1973. Uptake of solutes by multiple root systems from soil – III – A model for calculating the solute uptake by a randomly dispersed root system developing in a finite volume of soil. Plant and Soil 38: 621–635. , ,
- 1995. Soil nutrient bioavailability: a mechanistic approach. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- 1996. Stimulation of root hair elongation in Arabidopsis thaliana by low phosphorus availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 529–538. ,
- 2000a. The effciency of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae) root hairs in phosphorus acquisition. American Journal of Botany 87: 964–970. ,
- 2000b. Plant growth and phosphorus accumulation of wild type and two root hair mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 958–963. ,
- 1976. Diffusion of phosphate to plant roots in soil – IV. The concentration distance profile in the rhizosphere of roots with root hairs in a low-P soil. Plant and Soil 44: 63–72. , ,
- 1974. A method for characterizing the relation between nutrient concentration and flux into roots of intact plants. Plant Physiology 54: 564–568. ,
- 1994. Mass flow and diffusion of nutrients to a root with constant or zero-sink uptake I. Constant uptake. Soil Science 157: 162–170. ,
- 2004. The enl mutants enhance the lrx1 root hair mutant phenotype of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 734–741. , ,
- 1993. Cellular organisation of the Arabidopsis thaliana root. Development 119: 71–84. , , , , , ,
- 1991. Phosphorus efficiency by plants. Plant and Soil 132: 261–272. , ,
- 1997. Mathematical models in the applied sciences. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1997. Root hairs and phosphorus acquisition of wheat and barley cultivars. Plant and Soil 191: 181–188. , ,
- 2001. A root hairless barley mutant for elucidating genetic of root hairs and phosphorus uptake. Plant and Soil 235: 211–219. , , ,
- 1997. Growth and ultrastructure of Arabidopsis root hairs: the rhd3 mutation alters vacuole enlargement and tip growth. Planta 201: 209–218. , ,
- 1997. Modeling zero sink nutrient uptake by roots with root hairs from soil: comparison of two models. Soil Science 162: 544–553. , ,
- 2001. Arabidopsis genes with roles in root hair development. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 164: 131–140. , ,
- 1985. A gene affecting tomato root morphology. HortScience 20: 1099–1101. , ,
- 1997. Homogenization and porous media. New York, NY, USA: Springer.
- 1983. Phosphorus uptake by six plant species as related to root hairs. American Society of Agronomy 75: 457–461. ,
- 1991. Shot-term competition for phosphate between two genotypes of Arabidopsis thaliana (L) Heynh. New Phytologist 119: 389–396. , ,
- 2001. Role of root hairs and lateral roots in silicon uptake by rice. Plant Physiology 127: 1773–1780. , , ,
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. London, UK: Academic Press.
- 1994. The rhd6 mutation of Arabidopsis thaliana alters root-hair initiation through an auxin- and ethylene-associated process. Plant Physiology 106: 1335–1346. ,
- 2000. Analysis of phosphate acquisition efficiency in different Arabidopsis accessions. Plant Physiology 124: 1786–1799. , ,
- 1983. Efficiency and kinetics of phosphorus uptake from soil by various barley genotypes. Plant and Soil 72: 225–230. ,
- 1963. A mathematical model for the uptake of ions from the soil solution. Plant and Soil 18: 225–238.
- 2008. Multiscale methods averaging and homogenization. New York, NY, USA: Springer. ,
- Derivation of a macroscopic model for nutrient uptake by hairy-roots. Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applicationsdoi: 10.1016/j.nonrwa.2008.10.063. . (in press).
- 2000. Mathematical model of plant nutrient uptake. Ph.D. thesis, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- 2001. A mathematical model of plant nutrient uptake. Journal of Mathematical Biology 42: 347–360. , ,
- 2009. The solution of convection-diffusion equations for solute transport to plant roots. Plant and Soil 316: 257–264. ,
- 1990. Genetic control of root hair development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 2: 235–243. ,
- 2000. Solute movement in the rhizosphere. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ,
- 2006. Rates of root and organism growth soil conditions and temporal and spatial development of the Rhizosphere. Annals of Botany 97: 839–855. , ,
- 1994. Analysis of mutants of three genes that influence root hair development in Zea mays (Gramineae) suggest that root hairs are dispensable. American Journal of Botany 81: 833–842. ,
- 2003. How do plants achieve tolerance to phosphorus deficiency? Small causes with big effects. Plant Physiology 133: 1947–1958.
- 2003. Ethylene and phosphorus availability have interacting yet distinct effects on root hair development. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2351–2361. , ,