In folio isotopic tracing demonstrates that nitrogen assimilation into glutamate is mostly independent from current CO2 assimilation in illuminated leaves of Brassica napus
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2010)
Volume 185, Issue 4, pages 988–999, March 2010
How to Cite
Gauthier, P. P. G., Bligny, R., Gout, E., Mahé, A., Nogués, S., Hodges, M. and Tcherkez, G. G. B. (2010), In folio isotopic tracing demonstrates that nitrogen assimilation into glutamate is mostly independent from current CO2 assimilation in illuminated leaves of Brassica napus. New Phytologist, 185: 988–999. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03130.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2010
- Received: 1 September 2009, Accepted: 4 November 2009
- 2003. Photosynthesis, respiration and conservative carbon use efficiency of four field grown crops. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 116: 19–36. , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate metabolism and respiration in leaves of higher plants. In: LeegoodRC, SharkeyTD, von CaemmererS, eds. Photosynthesis, physiology and metabolism. London, UK: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 203–220. , , , .
- 2006. High thermal acclimation potential of both photosynthesis and respiration in two lowland Plantago species in contrast to an alpine congeneric. Global Change Biology 12: 500–515. , , .
- 1996. Ultrastructural and biochemical characterization of autophagy in higher plant cells subjected to carbon deprivation: control by the supply of mitochondria with respiratory substrates. Journal of Cell Biology 133: 1251–1263. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Amino acid metabolism of pea leaves: diurnal changes and amino acid synthesis from 15N-nitrate. Plant Physiology 59: 915–919. , , .
- 1991. Acetyl-coenzyme-a can regulate activity of the mitochondrial pyruvate-dehydrogenase complex in-situ. Plant physiology 95: 131–136. , , , .
- 1979. Photorespiration: comparison between C3 and C4 plants. In: GibbsM, LatzckoE, eds. Photosynthesis II. Photosynthetic carbon metabolism and related processes. Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 368–396. .
- 1974. Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia assimilation by leaves – effect of light, carbon-dioxide and oxygen. Planta 116: 207–224. , .
- 2003. Reduced expression of aconitase results in an enhanced rate of photosynthesis and marked shifts in carbon partitioning in illuminated leaves of wild species tomato. Plant Physiology 133: 1322–1335. , , , , , .
- 1995. Diurnal regulation of NO3− uptake in soybean plants 1. Changes in NO3− influx, efflux, and N utilization in the plant during the day–night cycle. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1585–1594. , , , .
- 1987. 2-Oxoglutarate dehydrogenase and pyruvate-dehydrogenase activities in plant-mitochondria – interaction via a common coenzyme-a pool. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 257: 92–99. , .
- 1995. In-vivo regulation of wheat-leaf phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase by reversible phosphorylation. Plant Physiology 107: 775–782. , .
- 2007. Glutamate in plants: metabolism, regulation and signalling. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2339–2358. , .
- 1999. The nitrate and ammonium nitrate supply have a major influence on the response of photosynthesis, carbon metabolism, nitrogen metabolism and growth to elevated carbon dioxide in tobacco. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1177–1199. , , , , .
- 1987. An evaluation of the recycling in measurements of photorespiration. Plant Physiology 83: 933–937. , .
- 1984. Measurement of subcellular metabolite levels in leaves by fractionation of freeze-stopped material in nonaqueous media. Plant Physiology 75: 542–547. , .
- 1995. Developmental anatomy of Cyperus esculentus (yellow nutsedge). International Journal of Plant Sciences 156: 622–629. , .
- 1986. Root contribution to nitrate reduction in barley seedlings (Hordeum vulgare-L). Plant and Soil 91: 339–342. , , .
- 1991. Distribution of NO3− reduction between roots and shoots of peach tree seedlings as affected by NO3− uptake rate. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 505–512. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of genetic modification of nitrate reductase expression on (NO3−)-N-15 uptake and reduction in Nicotiana plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 43–53. , , , , .
- 1993. 13C Nuclear Magnetic Resonance studies of malate and citrate synthesis and compartmentation in higher plant cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 3986–3992. , , , .
- 2005. Different apparent CO2 compensation points in nitrate- and ammonium-grown Phaseolus vulgaris and the relationship to non-photorespiratory CO2 evolution. Physiologia Plantarum 123: 288–301. , , , .
- 1993. On the function of mitochondrial metabolism during photosynthesis in spinach (Spinacia oleracea L) leaves – partitioning between respiration and export of redox equivalents and precursors for nitrate assimilation products. Plant Physiology 103: 1147–1154. , .
- 2007. GC-EI-TOF-MS analysis of in vivo carbon-partitioning into soluble metabolite pools of higher plants by monitoring isotope dilution after (CO2)-C-13 labelling. Phytochemistry 68: 2258–2272. , , , , , .
- 1994. Integration of carbon and nitrogen metabolism in plant and algal cells. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 45: 577–607. , .
- 2003. Regulation of NAD- and NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenases by reduction levels of pyridine nucleotides in mitochondria and cytosol of pea leaves. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Bioenergetics 1606: 117–125. , .
- 1998. Antisense inhibition of cytosolic NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase in transgenic potato plants. Planta 205: 82–91. , , , .
- 1995. Use of Arabidopsis mutants and genes to study amide amino-acid biosynthesis. Plant Cell 7: 887–898. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Carbon and nitrogen assimilation in relation to yield: mechanisms are the key to understanding production systems. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 773–787. .
- 1981. Effects of carbon dioxide and oxygen on the regulation of photosynthetic carbon metabolism by ammonia in spinach mesophyll cells. Plant Physiology 68: 1231–1236. , , , .
- 2007. NAD-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase mutants of Arabidopsis suggest the enzyme is not limiting for nitrogen assimilation. Plant Physiology 144: 1546–1558. , , , , , .
- 2001. The nitrate reductase circadian system. The central clock dogma contra multiple oscillatory feedback loops. Plant Physiology 125: 1554–1557. , , .
- 1986. Kinetic fractionation of stable nitrogen isotopes during amino-acid transamination. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 50: 2143–2146. , , , .
- 1994. Carbon and nitrogen partitioning in walnut seedlings during the acquisition of autotrophy through simultaneous (CO2)-C-13 and (NO3−)-N-15 long-term labeling. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 203–210. , , , , .
- 1999. The natural genetic variation of the fatty-acyl composition of seed oils in different ecotypes of Arabidopsis thaliana. Phytochemistry 52: 1029–1033. , .
- 1993. Diurnal malate and citrate fluctuations as related to nitrate and potassium concentrations in tomato leaves. Journal of Plant Nutrition 16: 165–175. , , , .
- 2007. Deficiency of mitochondrial fumarase activity in tomato plants impairs photosynthesis via an effect on stomatal function. Plant Journal 50: 1093–1106. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Respiratory CO2 fIuxes in photosynthesizing leaves of C-3 species varying in rates of starch synthesis. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 49: 729–735. , , , .
- 1993. Circadian and light regulated expression of nitrate reductase in Arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology 23: 349–364. , , , .
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen economy of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Plant Physiology 94: 621–627. , , .
- 2002. An engineered phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase redirects carbon and nitrogen flow in transgenic potato plants. Plant Journal 32: 25–39. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Contribution of root-system to nitrate assimilation in whole cotton plants. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 4: 811–819. .
- 1978. Physiological basis for division of nitrate assimilation between roots and leaves. Plant Science Letters 13: 21–25. .
- 2003. TM4: a free, open-source system for microarray data management and analysis. BioTechniques 34: 374–378. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Reciprocal diurnal changes of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase expression and cytosolic pyruvate kinase, citrate synthase and NADP-isocitrate dehydrogenase expression regulate organic acid metabolism during nitrate assimilation in tobacco leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1155–1167. , , .
- 2003. Disentangling CO2 fluxes: direct measurements of mesocosm-scale natural abundance (CO2)-C-13/(CO2)-C-12 gas exchange, C-13 discrimination, and labelling of CO2 exchange flux components in controlled environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1863–1874. , , , .
- 2002. Steps towards an integrated view of nitrogen metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 959–970. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. How stable isotopes may help to elucidate primary nitrogen metabolism and its interaction with (photo)respiration in C-3 leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1685–1693. , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 2007. Methods for improving the visualization and deconvolution of isotopic signals. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 887–891. , , .
- 2008. Respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves depends on CO2 and O2 conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 797–802. , , , , , .
- 2009. In folio respiratory fluxomics revealed by 13C-isotopic labeling and H/D isotope effects highlight the non-cyclic nature of the tricarboxylic acid “cycle” in illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 151: 620–630. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Modelling the components of plant respiration: representation and realism. Annals of Botany 85: 55–67. , .
- 1987. Drought-induced changes in protein patterns of Brassica napus var oleifera roots. Plant Physiology 84: 989–992. , , .