Freeze–thaw-induced embolism in Pinus contorta: centrifuge experiments validate the ‘thaw-expansion hypothesis’ but conflict with ultrasonic emission data
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
© The Authors (2009). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2009)
Volume 185, Issue 4, pages 1016–1024, March 2010
How to Cite
Mayr, S. and Sperry, J. S. (2010), Freeze–thaw-induced embolism in Pinus contorta: centrifuge experiments validate the ‘thaw-expansion hypothesis’ but conflict with ultrasonic emission data. New Phytologist, 185: 1016–1024. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03133.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
- Received: 29 September 2009, Accepted: 5 November 2009
- 1997. Use of centrifugal force in the study of xylem cavitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 665–674. , , , .
- 2001. Stem diameter variations and cold hardiness in walnut trees. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2135–2142. , , .
- 1990. Xylem dysfunction in Quercus: vessel sizes, tyloses, cavitation and seasonal changes in embolism. Tree Physiology 6: 393–407. , .
- 2000. Cryo-scanning electron microscopy observations of vessel content during transpiration in walnut petioles. Facts or artifacts?. Plant Physiology 124: 1191–1202. , , , .
- 1999. The relationship between xylem conduit diameter and cavitation caused by freezing. American Journal of Botany 86: 1367–1372. , , .
- 1985. Xylem structure and water conduction in conifer trees, dicot trees and lianas. International Association of Wood Anatomy Bulletin 6: 309–317. .
- 2001. Stem water transport and freeze–thaw xylem embolism in conifers and angiosperms in a Tasmanian treeline heath. Oecologia 127: 314–320. , .
- 2002. Hardly a relict: freezing and the evolution of vesselless wood in Winteraceae. Evolution 56: 464–478. , , .
- 2001. Functional and ecological xylem anatomy. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 4: 97–115. , .
- 1967. Freezing of xylem sap without cavitation. Plant Physiology 42: 55–66. .
- 1991. Changes in hydraulic conductivity upon freezing of the xylem of Populus × canadiensis Moench “robusta”. Trees 5: 117–121. , .
- 2003. Ultrasound acoustic emissions from freezing xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 383–388. , .
- 1997. Xylem dysfunction caused by water stress and freezing in two species of co-occurring chaparral shrubs. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 425–437. , , .
- 1999. Mechanism of freeze-induced embolism in Fagus sylvatica L. Trees 13: 206–210. , , .
- 1997. The impact of subcanopy light environment on the hydraulic vulnerability of Rhododendron maximum to freeze–thaw cycles and drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1264–1272. , .
- 1993. Different vulnerabilities of Quercus ilex L. to freeze- and summer drought-induced xylem embolism: an ecological interpretation. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 511–519. , .
- 2009. Ultrasonic emissions from conifer xylem exposed to repeated freezing. Journal of Plant Physiology 167: 34–40. ,
- 2002. Winter-drought induced embolism in Norway spruce (Picea abies) at the Alpine timberline. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 74–80. , , .
- 2003a. Repeated freeze–thaw cycles induce embolism in drought stressed conifers (Norway spruce, stone pine). Planta 217: 436–441. , , .
- 2003b. Winter at the Alpine timberline: why does embolism occur in Norway spruce but not in stone pine? Plant Physiology 131: 780–792. , , .
- 2007. Embolism formation during freezing in the wood of Picea abies. Plant Physiology 143: 60–67. , , , .
- 2000. Different responses to drought and freeze stress of Quercus ilex L. growing along a latitudinal gradient. Plant Ecology 148: 139–147. , , , .
- 1998. A mathematical and statistical analysis of the curves illustrating vulnerability of xylem to cavitation. Tree Physiology 18: 589–593. , .
- 2003. Tracheid diameter is the key trait determining the extent of freezing-induced embolism in conifers. Tree Physiology 23: 907–914. , .
- 2006. Analysis of freeze–thaw embolism in conifers. The interaction between cavitation pressure and tracheid size. Plant Physiology 140: 374–382. , .
- 1997. Freezing-induced xylem cavitation and the northern limit of Larrea tridentate. Oecologia 109: 19–27. , .
- 1989. The use of ultrasound technique to monitor freezing and thawing of water in plants. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 27: 411–418. , , , , .
- 1993. Ultrastructural evidence that intracellular ice formation and possibly cavitation are the sources of freezing injury in supercooling wood tissue of Cornus florida L. Plant Physiology 103: 753–761. , .
- 1987. Freezing in conifer xylem I. Pressure changes and growth velocity of ice. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 1901–1908. , .
- 1988. Freezing in conifer xylem II. Pit aspiration and bubble formation. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 1617–1621. , , .
- 2006. Extraction of features from ultrasound acoustic emissions: a tool to assess the hydraulic vulnerability of Norway spruce trunkwood? New Phytologist 171: 105–116. , , , .
- 2000. Winter hydraulic conductivity and xylem cavitation in coniferous trees from upper and lower treeline. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 32: 397–403. , .
- 2001. Water content, hydraulic conductivity, and ice formation in winter stems of Pinus contorta: a TDR case study. Oecologia 127: 468–475. , , .
- 2001. Xylem cavitation and freezing in conifers. In: BigrasFJ, ColomboSJ, eds. Conifer cold hardiness. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 121–136. , .
- 1992. Xylem embolism in response to freeze–thaw cycles and water stress in ring-porous, diffuse-porous and conifer species. Plant Physiology 100: 605–613. , .
- 1988. A method for measuring hydraulic conductivity and embolism in xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 35–40. , , .
- 1994. Xylem embolism in ring-porous, diffuse-porous, and coniferous trees of northern Utah and interior Alaska. Ecology 75: 1736–1752. , , , .
- 1969. Freezing of conifer xylem and the cohesion–tension theory. Physiologia Plantarum 22: 424–431. .
- 1989. Characterization and propagation of acoustic emission signals in woody plants: towards an improved acoustic emission counter. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 371–382. , .
- 2002. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. , .
- 1998. Visualization of cavitated vessels in winter and refilled vessels in spring in diffuse-porous trees by cryo-scanning electron microscopy. Plant Physiology 117: 1463–1471. , , , , .
- 1988. Freezing woody plant stems produces acoustic emissions. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 113: 636–639. , .
- 2001. Responses of xylem cavitation, freezing injury and shoot dieback to a simulated winter thaw in yellow birch seedlings growing in different nursery culture regimes. Forest Ecology and Management 145: 243–253. , , , .