Optics of sunlit water drops on leaves: conditions under which sunburn is possible
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2010)
Volume 185, Issue 4, pages 979–987, March 2010
How to Cite
Egri, Á., Horváth, Á., Kriska, G. and Horváth, G. (2010), Optics of sunlit water drops on leaves: conditions under which sunburn is possible. New Phytologist, 185: 979–987. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03150.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2010
- Received: 19 September 2009, Accepted: 5 November 2009
- 1838. On the intensity of light in the neighbourhood of a caustic. Transactions of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 6: 379–403. .
- 2002. Trees and shrubs that tolerate saline soils and salt spray drift. Petersburg, Virginia, USA: Publications of the Virginia State University No. 430-031, 1–7. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. The influence of leaf surface roughness on the spreading of oil spray drops. Annals of Applied Biology 84: 205–211. , , .
- 2005. Is the lotus leaf superhydrophobic? Applied Physics Letters 86: 144101. , .
- 1637. Oeuvres de Des Cartes. La Géometrie. Leyden: Livre 2, J. Maire. .
- 1947. Quantitative studies on the wetting of leaves by water. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 134: 503–522. .
- 2004. Capillarity and wetting phenomena: drops, bubbles, pearls, waves. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, Germany. , , .
- 1980. Acid rain: threshold of leaf damage in eight plant species from a southern Appalachian forest succession. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 14: 403–407. , , .
- 1985. Direct foliar effects of simulated acid rain II. Leaf surface characteristics. The New Phytologist 99: 407–416. , , .
- 1969. The effects of superficial wax on leaf wettability. Annals of Applied Biology 63: 145–153. .
- 1983. Plant surfaces. London, UK: Arnold. , .
- 1979. Polarized rainbow. Applied Optics 18: 1961–1965. , .
- 1998. Mie theory, airy theory, and the natural rainbow. Applied Optics 37: 1506–1519. .
- 1970. The cuticles of plants. New York, NY, USA: St Martin’s Press. , .
- 1977. The theory of the rainbow. Scientific American 236: 116–127. .