Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 2, pages 274–281, April 2010
How to Cite
Sala, A., Piper, F. and Hoch, G. (2010), Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytologist, 186: 274–281. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.03167.x
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2010
- 2009. Temperature sensitivity of drought-induced tree mortality portends increased regional die-off under global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7063–7066. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A global overview of drought and heat-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management. doi: 10.1016/j.foreco.2009.09.001 , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Sucrose transport and phloem unloading in stem of Vicia faba: possible involvement of a sucrose carrier and osmotic regulation. Plant Physiology 81: 482–486. , , .
- 2008. Quercitol and osmotic adaptation of field-grown Eucalyptus under seasonal drought stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 915–924. , , , , .
- 2009. The crucial role of plant mitochondria in orchestrating drought tolerance. Annals of Botany 103: 581–597. , .
- 2005. Physiochemical determinants of phloem transport. In: HolbrookNM, ZwienieckiMA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. New York, NY, USA: Elsevier Academic Press, 19–44. , .
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63: 625–644. , , , .
- 2001. Influence of temperature and soil drying on respiration of individual roots in citrus: integrating greenhouse observations into a predictive model for the field. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 781–790. , , , .
- 2008. Responses of nonstructural carbohydrates to shoot removal and soil moisture treatments in Salix nigra. Trees – Structure and Function 22: 737–748. , , .
- 2003. Water relations link carbon and oxygen isotope discrimination to phloem sap sugar concentration in Eucalyptus globulus. Plant Physiology 131: 1544–1554. , , , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 2009. Photosynthesis under drought and salt stress: regulation mechanisms from whole plant to cell. Annals of Botany 103: 551–560. , , .
- 1990. The influence of plant water deficit on photosynthesis and translocation of 14C-labeled assimilates in cacao seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 78: 623–627. , , .
- 2006. Interactive effects of drought and pathogens in forest trees. Annals of Forest Science 63: 597–612. , , , , .
- 2001. Radiation modifies the effect of water availability on the carbon isotope composition of beech (Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 150: 653–664. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of dessication on post-planting stress in bare-root Corsican pine seedlings. Tree Physiology 17: 429–435. , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of nitrogen on the response of loblolly pine to drought. II. Biomass allocation and C : N balance. New Phytologist 128: 145–152. , , .
- 1993. Planting stress, water status and non-structural carbohydrate concentrations in Corsican pine seedlings. Tree Physiology 2: 173–183. , , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2008. Hydrostatic constraints on morphological exploitation of light in tall Sequoia sempervirens trees. Oecologia 156: 751–763. , , , .
- 2006. Carbon isotopic composition and oxygen isotopic enrichment in phloem and total leaf organic matter of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) along a climate gradient. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1492–1507. , , , .
- 2006. Atmosphere: plant respiration in a warmer world. Science 312: 536–537. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 2009. Tolerance to low leaf water status of tropical tree seedlings is related to drought performance and distribution. Functional Ecology 23: 93–102. , , , , , .
- 2001. Reserve carbohydrate levels in the boles and structural roots of five multipurpose tree species in a seasonally dry tropical climate. Forest Ecology and Management 146: 145–158. , , .
- 2009. Poor methodology for predicting large-scale tree die-off. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E106. , , , .
- 2002. The influence of nutrient and water availability on carbohydrate storage in loblolly pine. Forest Ecology and Management 159: 261–270. , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Growth, carbon-isotope discrimination, and drought-associated mortality across a Pinus ponderosa elevational transect. Global Change Biology 16: 399–415. , ,
- 2007. Environmental change and carbon limitation in trees: a biochemical, ecophysiological and ecosystem appraisal. New Phytologist 175: 11–28. , , .
- 1930. Die Stoffbewegungen in der Pflanze. Jena, Germany: Gustav Fischer. .
- 2008. Does leaf shedding increase the whole-plant carbon gain despite some nitrogen being lost with shedding? New Phytologist 178: 617–624. , , .
- 1975. Effects of drought and defoliation on some metabolites in roots of black oak seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 5: 457–463. , .
- 1998. δ 13C analysis of phloem sap carbon: novel means of evaluating seasonal water stress and interpreting carbon isotope signatures of foliage and trunk wood of Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 301–311. , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal variations in phloem sap composition of plantation-grown Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 312–322. , , , .
- 2009. Carbohydrate storage, survival, and growth of two evergreen Nothofagus species in two contrasting light environments. Ecological Research 24: 1233–1241. , , , .
- 2007. Differential regulation of sorbitol and sucrose loading into the phloem of Plantago major in response to salt stress. Plant Physiology 144: 1029–1038. , , .
- 2008. Linkage between water stress tolerance and life history type in seedlings of nine chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Journal of Ecology 96: 1252–1265. , , , , .
- 1992. The effect of water stress on photosynthetic carbon metabolism in four species grown under field conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 25–35. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Controls on declining carbon balance with leaf age among 10 woody species in Australian woodland: do leaves have zero daily net carbon balances when they die? New Phytologist 183: 153–166. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Patterns of tree dieback in Queensland, Australia: the importance of drought stress and the role of resistance to cavitation. Oecologia 139: 190–198. , , , .
- 2007. Dry-season leaf flushing of Enterolobium cyclocarpum (ear-pod tree): above- and belowground phenology and water relations. Tree Physiology 27: 1561–1568. , , .
- 2006. Effects of drought and heat on forest insect populations in relation to the 2003 drought in Western Europe. Annals of Forest Science 63: 613–624. , , , , , .
- 2009. Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Tissue chemistry and carbon allocation in seedlings of Pinus palustris subjected to elevated atmospheric CO2 and water stress. Tree Physiology 19: 329–335. , , , , .
- 2009. Lack of direct evidence for the carbon-starvation hypothesis to explain drought-induced mortality in trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E68. .
- 2009. Height-related growth declines in ponderosa pine are not due to carbon limitation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 22–30. , .
- 1999. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate levels and chlorophyll fluorescence-estimated intercellular CO2 in water-stressed Casuarina equisetifolia Forst. & Forst. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 867–873. , , .
- 2006. Fine root production and carbohydrate concentrations of mature longleaf pine (Pinus palustris P. Mill.) as affected by season of prescribed fire and drought. Trees – Structure and Function 20: 165–175. , .
- 2007. Physicochemical properties of starch affected by molecular composition and structures: a review. Food Science and Technology 16: 663–674. , .
- 1979. Relative sensitivity of photosynthetic assimilation and translocation of 14C to water stress. Plant Physiology 64: 852–856. , .
- 2006. Phloem: the long and the short of it. Trends in Plant Science 11: 26–32. .
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 2004. Drought tolerance and transplanting performance of holm oak (Quercus ilex) seedlings after drought hardening in the nursery. Tree Physiology 24: 1147–1155. , , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon starvation in glacial trees recovered from the La Brea tar pits, southern California. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 690–694. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Non-structural carbohydrate pools in a tropical forest. Oecologia 143: 11–24. , , , .