These authors contributed equally to this work.
RNAi-mediated down-regulation of DCL1 and AGO1 induces developmental changes in resynthesized Arabidopsis allotetraploids
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Plant polyploidy
Volume 186, Issue 1, pages 207–215, April 2010
How to Cite
Lackey, E., Ng, D. W.-K. and Chen, Z. J. (2010), RNAi-mediated down-regulation of DCL1 and AGO1 induces developmental changes in resynthesized Arabidopsis allotetraploids. New Phytologist, 186: 207–215. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03187.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
- Received: 3 November 2009, Accepted: 24 December 2009
- 2003. Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301: 653–657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Regulation of flowering time and floral organ identity by a microRNA and its APETALA2-like target genes. Plant Cell 15: 2730–2741. , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis argonaute1 is an RNA slicer that selectively recruits microRNAs and short interfering RNAs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 11928–11933. , .
- 1998. AGO1 defines a novel locus of arabidopsis controlling leaf development. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 17: 170–180. , , , , , .
- 2008. Widespread translational inhibition by plant miRNAs and siRNAs. Science 320: 1185–1190. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of microRNAs in plant and animal development. Science 301: 336–338. , .
- 2007. Specialization and evolution of endogenous small RNA pathways. Nature Reviews Genetics 8: 884–896. , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms for gene expression and phenotypic variation in plant polyploids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 377–406. .
- 2008. RNAi of met1 reduces DNA methylation and induces genome-specific changes in gene expression and centromeric small RNA accumulation in arabidopsis allopolyploids. Genetics 178: 1845–1858. , , , , .
- 2009. Big impacts by small RNAs in plant development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 81–86. , , .
- 1984. Genomic sequencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 81: 1991–1995. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2000. Phenotypic instability and rapid gene silencing in newly formed arabidopsis allotetraploids. Plant Cell 12: 1551–1568. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evolutionary genetics of genome merger and doubling in plants. Annual Review of Genetics 42: 443–461. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Partially redundant functions of arabidopsis DICER-like enzymes and a role for DCL4 in producing trans-acting siRNAs. Current Biology 15: 1494–1500. , , , .
- 2002. Short integuments1/suspensor1/carpel factory, a dicer homolog, is a maternal effect gene required for embryo development in arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 130: 808–822. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Small RNAs serve as a genetic buffer against genomic shock in arabidopsis interspecific hybrids and allopolyploids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 17835–17840. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Dissecting Arabidopsis thaliana dicer function in small RNA processing, gene silencing and DNA methylation patterning. Nature Genetics 38: 721–725. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Versatile gene-specific sequence tags for arabidopsis functional genomics: transcript profiling and reverse genetics applications. Genome Research 14: 2176–2189. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The argonaute protein family. Genome Biology 9: 210. , .
- 2008. Argonaute proteins: key players in RNA silencing. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 9: 22–32. , .
- 1999. Disruption of an RNA helicase/RSAse iii gene in arabidopsis causes unregulated cell division in floral meristems. Development 126: 5231–5243. , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis MET1 cytosine methyltransferase mutants. Genetics 163: 1109–1122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Macro effects of microRNAs in plants. Trends in Genetics 19: 13–16. , .
- 2005. The developmental role of microRNA in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 38–44. , .
- 2004. A concerted DNA methylation/histone methylation switch regulates rRNA gene dosage control and nucleolar dominance. Molecular Cell 13: 599–609. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Transgene-induced RNA interference: a strategy for overcoming gene redundancy in polyploids to generate loss-of-function mutations. Plant Journal 36: 114–121. , .
- 1999. The pinhead/zwille gene acts pleiotropically in arabidopsis development and has overlapping functions with the argonaute1 gene. Development 126: 469–481. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mutagenesis in arabidopsis. Methods in Molecular Biology 362: 197–206. , .
- 1994. Stomatal size in fossil plants: evidence for polyploidy in majority of angiosperms. Science 264: 421–424. .
- 2001. Insertional mutagenesis of genes required for seed development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 159: 1751–1763. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. RNA silencing systems and their relevance to plant development. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 21: 297–318. , , .
- 2009. Altered circadian rhythms regulate growth vigour in hybrids and allopolyploids. Nature 457: 327–331. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Carpel factory, a dicer homolog, and HEN1, a novel protein, act in microRNA metabolism in Arabidopsis thaliana. Current Biology 12: 1484–1495. , , , , .
- 2002. Control of developmental timing by microRNAs and their targets. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 18: 495–513. , .
- 2004. SGS3 and SGS2/SDE1/RDR6 are required for juvenile development and the production of trans-acting siRNAs in arabidopsis. Genes and Development 18: 2368–2379. , , , , .
- 2008. Small RNA metabolism in arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 13: 368–374. , .
- 1996. Short integument (SIN1), a gene required for ovule development in arabidopsis, also controls flowering time. Development 122: 2631–2638. , , , .
- 2002. DICER-LIKE1: blind men and elephants in arabidopsis development. Trends in Plant Science 7: 487–491. , , , .
- 2005. Auxin and light control of adventitious rooting in arabidopsis require argonaute1. Plant Cell 17: 1343–1359. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Induced instability of two arabidopsis constitutive pathogen-response alleles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 7792–7796. , .
- 2006. AGO1 homeostasis entails coexpression of MIR168 and AGO1 and preferential stabilization of MIR168 by AGO1. Molecular Cell 22: 129–136. , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis endogenous small RNAs: highways and byways. Trends in Plant Science 11: 460–468. .
- 2004. Endogenous trans-acting siRNAs regulate the accumulation of arabidopsis mRNAs. Molecular Cell 16: 69–79. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Arabidopsis thaliana DNA methylation mutants. Science 260: 1926–1928. , , , .
- 2006a. Non-additive regulation of FRI and FLC loci mediates flowering-time variation in arabidopsis allopolyploids. Genetics 173: 965–974. , , , .
- 2006b. Genomewide non-additive gene regulation in arabidopsis allotetraploids. Genetics 172: 507–517. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Stochastic and epigenetic changes of gene expression in arabidopsis polyploids. Genetics 167: 1961–1973. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. DICER-LIKE 4 functions in trans-acting small interfering RNA biogenesis and vegetative phase change in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 12984–12989. , , , .
- 2006. Characterizations of a hypomorphic argonaute1 mutant reveal novel AGO1 functions in arabidopsis lateral organ development. Plant Molecular Biology 61: 63–78. , , , , , .
- 2005. A pathway for the biogenesis of trans-acting siRNAs in arabidopsis. Genes and Development 19: 2164–2175. , , , .
- 2007. Role of arabidopsis AGO6 in siRNA accumulation, DNA methylation and transcriptional gene silencing. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 26: 1691–2701. , , , .