Seasonally dynamic fungal communities in the Quercus macrocarpa phyllosphere differ between urban and nonurban environments
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 2, pages 496–513, April 2010
How to Cite
Jumpponen, A. and Jones, K. L. (2010), Seasonally dynamic fungal communities in the Quercus macrocarpa phyllosphere differ between urban and nonurban environments. New Phytologist, 186: 496–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03197.x
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2010
- Received: 13 October 2009, Accepted: 14 December 2009
- 2007. Understanding the diversity of foliar fungal endophytes: progress, challenges and frontiers. Fungal Biology Reviews 21: 51–66. .
- 2008. Endophytic fungi: hidden components of tropical community ecology. In: SchnitzerS, CarsonW, eds. Tropical forest community ecology. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 254–271. .
- 2007. Diversity and phylogenetic affinities of foliar fungal endophytes in loblolly pine inferred by culturing and environmental PCR. Mycologia 99: 185–206. , , , , .
- 2007. Diversity and host range of foliar fungal endophytes: are tropical leaves biodiversity hotspots? Ecology 88: 541–549. , .
- 2000. Are tropical endophytes hyperdiverse? Ecology Letters 3: 267–274. , , , , .
- 2008. Reimagining cities – introduction. Science 319: 739. , , , , .
- 1999. Birds and butterflies along an urban gradient: surrogate taxa for assessing biodiversity? Ecological Applications 9: 164–170. .
- 2004. The effects of urban sprawl on birds at multiple levels of biological organization. Ecology and Society 9: 2. .
- 2004. Seasonal concentrations of cadmium and zinc in native pasture plants: consequences for grazing animals. Science of the Total Environment 326: 181–195. , .
- 1977. Preliminary studies on the incidence of needle endophytes in some European conifers. Sydowia 29: 87–103. , , .
- 2000. Biodiversity and population growth. Issues in Science and Technology 16: 80–81. , .
- 2006. EstimateS: statistical estimation of species richness and shared species from samples. Version 8. http://purl/oclc.org/estimates .
- 2006. Seasonal variations of cadmium and zinc in Arrhenathrerum elatius, a perennial grass species from highly contaminated soils. Environmental Pollution 140: 62–70. , , , .
- 1943. The relation between the number of species and the number of individuals in a random sample of an animal population. Journal of Animal Ecology 12: 42–58. , , .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 2008. Error-correcting barcoded primers for pyrosequencing hundreds of samples in multiplex. Nature Methods 5: 235–237. , , , , .
- 1998. Seasonal and needle age-dependent changes of the endophytic mycobiota in Pinus thunbergii and Pinus densiflora needles. Canadian Journal of Botany 76: 245–250. , , .
- 1995. Responses of pine needle endophytes to air pollution. New Phytologist 131: 223–229. .
- 2007. Fragmented environment affects birch leaf endophytes. New Phytologist 175: 547–553. , , , , .
- 2007. Ecological implications of anti-pathogen effects of tropical fungal endophytes and mycorrhizae. Ecology 88: 550–558. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Fungal ecology catches fire. New Phytologist 184: 279–282. , , .
- 2006. Drivers of spatial variation in plant diversity across the central Arizona - Phoenix ecosystem. Society & Natural Resources 19: 101–116. , , , , , .
- 1999. CAP3: a DNA sequence assembly program. Genome Research 9: 868–877. , .
- 1992. Isolation of endophytes from black spruce (Picea mariana) dormant buds and needles from New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 1754–1757. , .
- 2009. Massively parallel 454-sequencing indicates hyperdiverse fungal communities in temperate Quercus macrocarpa phyllosphere. New Phytologist 184: 438–448. , .
- 2003. The seasonal occurrence of endophytic fungus, Mycosphearella buna, in Japanese beech, Fagus crenata. Mycoscience 44: 277–281. , , .
- 2004. The effect of bagging branches on levels of endophytic fungal infection in Japanese beech leaves. Forest Pathology 34: 65–78. , .
- 2007. Domesticated nature: shaping landscapes and ecosystems for human welfare. Science 316: 1866–1869. , , , .
- 2006. A distinct urban biogeochemistry? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 192–199. , , , , .
- 2004. The flora of German cities is naturally species rich. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6: 749–764. , , .
- 2006. Bacterial diversity in tree canopies of the Atlantic forest. Science 312: 1917. , , , , .
- 2005. Genome sequencing in microfabricated high-density picolitre reactors. Nature 437: 376–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Computational methods of multivariate analysis in physical geography. London, UK: J Wiley & Sons, 532. .
- 1999. PC-ORD multivariate analysis of ecological data, version 4. Glendale Beach, OR, USA: MjM Software. , .
- 2002. Urbanization, biodiversity, and conservation. BioScience 52: 883–890. .
- 1999. Biotic homogenization: a few winners replacing many losers in the next mass extinction. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14: 450–453. , .
- 2008. Parallel tagged sequencing on the 454 platform. Nature Protocols 3: 267–278. , , .
- 1987. Artificial infection of leaves of the London Plane by ascospores and conidia of Apiognomonia veneta. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 88: 399–401. , .
- 1967. Characteristics and nomenclature of the oak anthracnose fungus. Phytopathology 57: 1230–1236. , .
- 2009. The ITS region as a target for characterization of fungal communities using emerging sequencing technologies. FEMS Microbiology Letters 296: 97–101. , , , , .
- 2006. Taxonomic reliability of DNA sequences in public databases: a fungal perspective. PLoS ONE 1: e59. , , , , , .
- 2008. Endophytic and epiphytic phyllosphere fungi of Camellia japonica: seasonal and leaf age-dependent variations. Mycologia 100: 387–391. .
- 2005. Seasonal and leaf age-dependent changes in occurrence of phyllosphere fungi of giant dogwood. Mycoscience 46: 273–279. , .
- 2001. Streams in the urban landscape. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32: 333–365. , .
- 1991. Heavy metal accumulations in forest soils along an urban-rural gradient in southeastern New York, USA. Water Air and Soil Pollution 57–58: 797–807. , .
- 2009. Accurate determination of microbial diversity from 454 pyrosequencing data. Nature Methods 6: 639. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Infection ability of ascospores and conidia of Apiognomonia quercina on oaks. Journal of Plant Diseases 106: 490–494. , , , .
- 2009. The ‘rare biosphere’: a reality check. Nature Methods 6: 636. , .
- 2009. Fungal endophytes: diversity and functional roles. New Phytologist 182: 314–330. , , , .
- 2007. Pyrosequencing enumerates and contrasts soil microbial diversity. ISME Journal 1: 283–290. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phenology in central Europe – differences and trends of spring phenophases in urban and rural areas. International Journal of Biometeorology 44: 60–66. , , , .
- 1999. Temporal variations in isolation frequency of endophytic fungi of Japanese beech. Canadian Journal of Botany 77: 197–202. , , , .
- 1998. Fungal endophytes: a continuum of interactions with host plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 319–343. , , , .
- 2005. Fungal epiphytes and endophytes of coffee leaves (Coffea arabica). Microbial Ecology 50: 1–8. , .
- 2004. Linking optimal foraging behavior to bird community structure in an urban-desert landscape: field experiments with artificial food patches. American Naturalist 164: 232–243. , , , .
- 2006. Microbial diversity in the deep sea and the underexplored “rare biosphere”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 103: 12115–12120. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Initiation and development of latent infections by Rhabdocline parkeri on Douglas-fir. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 2800–2811. .
- 1999. Mycospaerella chaenomelis sp. nov.: the teleomorph of Cercosporella sp., the causal fungus of frosty mildew in Chaenomeles sinensis, and its role as the primary infection source. Mycoscience 40: 509–516. .
- 1992. Epidemiology of wheat head blight and maize ear rot caused by Fusarium graminearum. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 4: 195–209. .
- 2006. Plant richness patterns in agricultural and urban landscapes in central Germany - spatial gradients of species richness. Landscape and Urban Planning 75: 97–110. , , .
- 2002. Satellite evidence of phenological differences between urbanized and rural areas of the eastern United States deciduous broadleaf forest. Ecosystems 5: 260–273. , , , .
- 2000. Ecology of woody plant endophytes. In: BaconCW, WhiteJFJr, eds. Microbial endophytes. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker Inc, 389–420. .
- 1994. Infection studies of Discula quercina, an endophyte of Quercus garyana. Mycologia 86: 635–647. , .
- 2004. The footprint of urban climates on vegetation phenology. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L12209. , , , , .
- 2000. A greedy algorithm for aligning DNA sequences. Journal of Computational Biology 7: 203–214. , , , .