The authors contributed equally to this work.
An endoplasmic reticulum response pathway mediates programmed cell death of root tip induced by water stress in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 3, pages 681–695, May 2010
How to Cite
Duan, Y., Zhang, W., Li, B., Wang, Y., Li, K., Sodmergen, ., Han, C., Zhang, Y. and Li, X. (2010), An endoplasmic reticulum response pathway mediates programmed cell death of root tip induced by water stress in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 186: 681–695. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03207.x
- Issue online: 13 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2010
- Received: 20 November 2009, Accepted: 5 January 2010
- 1997. Oxidative decay of DNA. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 19633–19636. , .
- 2001. Regulation and execution of programmed cell death in response to pathogens, stress and developmental cues. Current Opinion of Plant Biology 4: 561–567. , .
- 1997. Protein oxidation in aging, disease, and oxidative stress. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 20313–20316. , .
- 1999. Effect of water stress on root meristems in woody and herbaceous plants during the first stage of development. Plant and Soil 217: 159–172. , , , .
- 2008. A new branch of endoplasmic reticulum-stress signaling and the osmotic signal converge on plant specific asparagine-rich proteins to promote cell death. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 20209–20219. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Osmotic regulation of root system architecture. Plant Journal 43: 17–28. , .
- 1979. Fluctuations of the soil environment and fine root growth in a young Sitka spruce plantation. Plant and Soil 52: 195–208. .
- 2004. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 42: 185–210. , .
- 1994. Mechanisms of oxygen activation during plant stress. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 102B: 131–154. , .
- 2005. Redox homeostasis and antioxidant signaling: a metabolic interface between stress perception and physiological responses. Plant Cell, 17: 1866–1875. , .
- 1994. The hypersensitive reaction in plants to pathogens. St Paul, MN, USA: APS Press. , .
- 2003. Both drought and excess water can induce premature root death, as can the resupply of water after drought. Journal of Crop Production 8: 127–155. , .
- 2004. The role and regulation of programmed cell death in plant–pathogen interactions. Cell Microbiology 6: 201–211. , .
- 2004. Programmed cell death remodels lace plant leaf shape during development. Plant Cell 16: 60–73. , , .
- 2001. Characterisation of programmed cell death during aerenchyma formation induced by ethylene or hypoxia in roots of maize (Zea mays L.). Planta 212: 205–214. , , , , .
- 2005. Programmed cell death and leaf morphogenesis in Monstera obliqua (Araceae). Planta 221: 607–618. , , , , .
- 2006. A cellular suicide strategy of plants: vacuole-mediated cell death. Apoptosis 6: 905–911. , , , .
- 2000. Root physiological characteristics associated with drought resistance in Tall Fescue cultivars. Crop Science 40: 196–203. , .
- 2002. Salt causes ion disequilibrium-induced programmed cell death in yeast and plants. Plant Journal 29: 649–659. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Reactive oxygen intermediates as mediators of programmed cell death in plants and animals. Biochemical Pharmacology 57: 231–245. .
- 1999. Anticipating endoplasmic reticulum stress: a novel early response before pathogenesis-related gene induction. Plant Cell 11: 1935–1943. , , .
- 1997. Apoptosis-like cell death in barley roots under salt stress. Plant and Cell Physiology 38: 1091–1093. .
- 1996. Salt stress induced nuclear and DNA degradation in meristematic cells of barley roots. Plant and Cell Physiology 37: 169–173. , .
- 2001. Molecular characterization of two Arabidopsis Ire1 homologs, endoplasmic reticulum-located transmembrane protein kinases. Plant Physiology 127: 949–962. , , , , , .
- 1994. The fate of surface roots of citrus seedlings in dry soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1639–1645. , .
- 2002. Developmental programmed cell death in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 568. , .
- 2004. Controlled cell death, plant survival and development. Nature Review of Molecular Cell Biology 5: 305–315. .
- 2001. Programmed cell death, mitochondria and the plant hypersensitive response. Nature 411: 848–853. , , .
- 2001. Steroid regulation of autophagic programmed cell death during development. Development 128: 1443–1455. , .
- 1999. Critical evaluation of techniques to detect and measure cell death – study in a model of UV radiation of the leukaemic cell line HL60. Analytical Cellular Pathology 19: 139–151. , , , .
- 2005. Autophagy regulates programmed cell death during the plant innate immune response. Cell 121: 567–577. , , , , , .
- 2007a. Salt stress responses in Arabidopsis utilize a signal transduction pathway related to ER stress signaling. Plant Journal 51: 897–909. , , , .
- 2007b. An Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Response in Arabidopsis Is Mediated by Proteolytic Processing and Nuclear Relocation of a Membrane-Associated Transcription Factor, bZIP28. Plant Cell 19: 4111–4119. , , , .
- 2009. Autophagy is required for tolerance of drought and salt stress in plants. Autophagy 5: 454–463. , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1995. Root architecture and plant productivity. Plant Physiology 109: 7–13. .
- 1986. Drought and shade interact to cause fine-root mortality in Douglas-fir seedlings. Plant and Soil 91: 51–60. .
- 2003. Genomic analysis of the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis shows its connection to important cellular processes. Plant Cell 15: 1–16. , .
- 2005. Fatty acid hydroperoxides and H2O2 in the execution of hypersensitive. Plant Physiology 138: 1516–1526. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Identification of programmed cell death in situ in individual plant cells in vivo using a chromosome preparation technique. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 651–658. , , .
- 2001. Aluminum-induced cell death in root-tip cells of barley. Environmental and Experimental Botany 46: 71–79. , , .
- 2006. Autophagy in the control of programmed cell death. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 391–396. , , .
- 2005. Cell death and organ development in plants. Current Topics in Developmental Biology 71: 225–261. .
- 1997. Effect of water stress on cortical cell division rates within the apical meristem of primary roots of maize. Plant Physiology 114: 519–527. , , .
- 2000. Changes in cell structure during the formation of root aerenchyma in Sagittaria lancifolia (Alismataceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 12–19. , .
- 2003. Molecular and cellular adaptations of maize to flooding stress. Annual Botany 91: 119–127. , .
- 1983. A program to increase plant available water through rooting modification. In: BohmW, eds. Root ecology and its practical application: a contribution to the investigation of the whole plant. Irdning, Austria: Verlag Gumpenstein, 463–472. .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species in plant cell death. Plant Physiology 141: 384–390. , .
- 2000. Growth of Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings under water deficit studied by control of water potential in nutrient-agar media. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1555–1562. , , , .
- 2005. Plant programmed cell death and the point of no return. Trends in Plant Sciences 10: 478–483. .
- 2005. Many ways to exit? Cell death categories in plants Trends in Plant Sciences 10: 117–122. , .
- 1994. Drought rhizogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 104: 761–767. , , .
- 1983. Scanning electron microscopic aspects of short tuberized roots, with special reference to cell rhizodermis evolution under drought and rehydration. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 39–46. , , .
- 2006. Methods and concepts in quantifying resistance to drought, salt and freezing, abiotic stresses that affect plant water status. Plant Journal 45: 523–539. , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis Bax inhibitor-1 functions as an attenuator of biotic and abiotic types of cell death. Plant Journal 45: 884–894. , .
- 2008. BAX inhibitor-1 modulates endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated programmed cell death in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 3200–3210. , .