A novel phototropic response to red light is revealed in microgravity
Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 3, pages 648–656, May 2010
How to Cite
Millar, K. D. L., Kumar, P., Correll, M. J., Mullen, J. L., Hangarter, R. P., Edelmann, R. E. and Kiss, J. Z. (2010), A novel phototropic response to red light is revealed in microgravity. New Phytologist, 186: 648–656. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03211.x
- Issue online: 13 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2010
- Received: 25 November 2009, Accepted: 31 December 2009
- 1985. High-resolution measurement of growth during first positive phototropism in maize. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 595–603. , , , .
- 1919. Licht und wachstum. III. Mededelingen van de Landbouwhogeschool te Wageningen 15: 89–204. .
- 1959. The influence of red and far red light on growth and phototropism of the Avena seedling. Acta Botanic Neerlandica 8: 1–39. .
- 1966. Effect of red light on irreversible and reversible expansion of Avena coleoptile sections. Planta 71: 291–304. , .
- 1999. Spaceflight opportunities on the ISS for plant research–the ESA perspective. Advances in Space Research 24: 779–788. .
- 2005. ESA hardware for plant research on the international space station. Advances in Space Research 36: 1162–1166. .
- 2007. Phototropin blue-bight receptors. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 21–45. .
- 2003. Phytochromes play a role in phototropism and gravitropism in Arabidopsis roots. Advances in Space Research 31: 2203–2210. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ground-based studies of tropisms in hardware developed for the European modular cultivation system (EMCS). Advances in Space Research 36: 1203–1210. , , , , .
- 2002. Interactions between gravitropism and phototropism in plants. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 89–101. , .
- 2008. Space-based research on plant tropisms. In: GilroyS, MassonPH, eds. Plant tropisms. Ames, IA, USA: Blackwell, 161–182. , .
- 1880. The power of movement in plants. London, UK: John Murray. , .
- 2008. Gravisensitivity and automorphogenesis of lentil seedling roots grown on board the international space station. Physiologia Plantarum 134: 191–201. , , , .
- 2002. Plants in space. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 258–263. , , , .
- 2005. The signal transducing photoreceptors of plants. International Journal of Developmental Biology 49: 653–666. , , .
- 1994. How is a phototropic stimulus perceived by hypocotyls. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 409–412. , , .
- 1999. The influence of microgravity and spaceflight on columella cell ultrastructure in starch-deficient mutants of Arabidopsis. American Journal of Botany 86: 1357–1366. , .
- 2007. Phytochrome-mediated photomorphogenesis in plants. Journal of Plant Biology 50: 230–240. , , .
- 1997. Gravity, light and plant form. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 796–800. .
- 1995. The phototropic response of Triticum aestivum coleoptiles under conditions of low gravity. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 53–60. , , .
- 2002. Phytochrome E controls light-induced germination of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 128: 194–200. , , , , .
- 1937. The phototropism of terrestrial roots. Biologisch Jaarboek 4: 286–315. , .
- 1990. Phototropism: mechanisms and ecological implications. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 633–650. .
- 1984. Phytochrome-mediated phototropism in maize seedling shoots. Planta 160: 41–51. , , .
- 1996. Some aspects of plant space biology and closed ecological systems. In: SugeH, ed. Plants in space biology. Sendai, Japan: Institute of Genetic Ecology, Tohoku University, 13–28. , .
- 1997. Multiple phytochromes are involved in red light-induced enhancement of first positive curvature in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 113: 975–979. , .
- 2009. Gravity amplifies and microgravity decreases circumnutations in Arabidopsis thaliana stems: results from a space experiment. New Phytologist 182: 621–629. , , .
- 1934. Phototropic sensitivity in relation to wavelength. Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collection 92: 1–17. .
- 1999. Irradiance dependent regulation of gravitropism by red light in protonemata of the moss Ceratodon purpureus. Planta 209: 299–307. , .
- 2006. Phototropin and light-signaling in phototropism. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 1–6. , .
- 1994. Negative phototropism in young gametophytes of the fern Schizaea pusilla. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1339–1343. .
- 2009. Plants circling in outer space. New Phytologist 182: 555–557. .
- 2000. Development and growth of several strains of Arabidopsis seedlings in microgravity. International Journal of Plant Sciences 161: 55–62. , , .
- 1999. Gravitropism of hypocotyls of wild-type and starch-deficient Arabidopsis seedlings in spaceflight studies. Planta 209: 96–103. , , .
- 2009. Operations of a spaceflight experiment to investigate plant tropisms. Advances in Space Research 44: 879–886. , , , , .
- 2003. Phytochromes A and B mediate red-light-induced positive phototropism in roots. Plant Physiology 131: 1411–1417. , , , .
- 1996. Embryogenic somatic cell cultures of daylily (Hemerocallis): a system to probe spaceflight-associated mitotic disturbances. In: SugeH, ed. Plants in space biology. Sendai, Japan: Institute of Genetic Ecology, Tohoku University, 111–126. .
- 2006. Modulation of phototropism by phytochrome E and attenuation of gravitropism by phytochromes B and E in inflorescence stems. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 304–311. , .
- 2008. The role of phytochrome C in gravitropism and phototropism in Arabidopsis thaliana. Functional Plant Biology 35: 298–305. , , .
- 2004. Hypocotyl growth orientation in blue light is determined by phytochrome A inhibition of gravitropism and phototropin promotion of phototropism. Plant Journal 40: 826–834. , .
- 1996. Phytochrome is required for the occurrence of time-dependent phototropism in maize coleoptiles. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 1379–1388. , .
- 2009. Analysis of the phytochrome gene family in Ceratodon purpureus by gene targeting reveals the primary phytochrome responsible for photo- and polarotropism. Planta 230: 27–37. , , , .
- 2008. PKS1 plays a role in red-light-based positive phototropism in roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 842–849. , .
- 2009. Phototropism and gravitropism in plants. Advances in Botanical Research 49: 1–34. , .
- 2000. Kinetics of constant gravitropic stimulus responses in Arabidopsis roots using a feedback system. Plant Physiology 123: 665–670. , , , .
- 1988. Interaction of gravi- and phototropic stimulation in the response of maize (Zea mays L.) coleoptiles. Planta 173: 213–220. , .
- 1992. Mutational analysis of root gravitropism and phototropism of Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 19: 439–448. , .
- 1993. Growth distribution during phototropism of Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Plant Physiology 103: 157–163. , .
- 1996. Phytochrome A regulates the induction of phototropic enhancement in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 110: 155–162. , , .
- 2002. Contributions of space experiments to the study of gravitropism. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 156–165. , .
- 1996. The light-induced reduction of the gravitropic growth-orientation of seedlings of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh is a photomorphogenic response mediated synergistically by the far-red-absorbing forms of phytochromes A and B. Planta 199: 511–514. , , , , .
- 2002. The biophysical limitations in physiological transport and exchange in plants grown in microgravity. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 177–190. .
- 1987. Analysis of growth rates during phototropism: modifications by separate light growth responses. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 303–311. , , .
- 1996. Genetic and transgenic evidence that phytochromes A and B act to modulate the gravitropic orientation of Arabidopsis thaliana hypocotyls. Plant Physiology 110: 211–216. , .
- 2001. Red-light-induced positive phototropism in Arabidopsis roots. Planta 212: 424–430. , , .
- 2000. RPT2: a signal transducer of the phototropic response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 225–236. , , , .
- SAS Institute. 2004. SAS/STAT 9.1 User’s Guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- 2004. Phytochrome-mediated light signalling in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 564–569. , , .
- 2007. Phytochrome-dependent photomovement responses mediated by phototropin family proteins in cryptogam plants. Photochemistry and Photobiology 83: 87–93. , .
- 2000. Interaction of root gravitropism and phototropism in Arabidopsis wild-type and starchless mutants. Plant Physiology 122: 453–461. , , .
- 2006. Phototropism: bending towards enlightenment. Plant Cell 18: 1110–1119. , .
- 1988. Plantwatching: how plants remember, tell time, form relationships and more. New York, NY, USA: Facts on File. .