Substantial nutrient resorption from leaves, stems and roots in a subarctic flora: what is the link with other resource economics traits?
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 4, pages 879–889, June 2010
How to Cite
Freschet, G. T., Cornelissen, J. H. C., van Logtestijn, R. S. P. and Aerts, R. (2010), Substantial nutrient resorption from leaves, stems and roots in a subarctic flora: what is the link with other resource economics traits?. New Phytologist, 186: 879–889. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03228.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2010
- Received: 16 November 2009, Accepted: 26 January 2010
- 1990. Nutrient use efficiency in evergreen and deciduous species from heathlands. Oecologia 84: 391–397. .
- 1996. Nutrient resorption from senescing leaves of perennials: are there general patterns? Journal of Ecology 84: 597–608. .
- 1999. Interspecific competition in natural plant communities: mechanisms, trade-offs and plant-soil feedbacks. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 29–37. .
- 1992. Root turnover as determinant of the cycling of C, N, and P in a dry heathland ecosystem. Biogeochemistry 15: 175–190. , , .
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 1–67. , .
- 1989. Aboveground productivity and nutrient turnover of Molinia caerulea along an experimental gradient of nutrient availability. Oikos 54: 320–324. , .
- 1987. Nitrogen-use-efficiency: a biologically meaningful definition? Functional Ecology 1: 293–296. , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 1983. Seasonal changes in nitrogen and phosphorus fractions and autumn retranslocation in evergreen and deciduous taiga trees. Ecology 64: 376–391. , .
- 2002. Principles of terrestrial ecosystem ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , eds.
- 1991. Nutritional controls over nitrogen and phosphorus resorption from Alaskan birch leaves. Ecology 72: 709–715. , .
- 1996. Seedling growth, allocation and leaf attributes in a wide range of woody plant species and types. Journal of Ecology 84: 755–765. , , .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Foliar pH as a new plant trait: can it explain variation in foliar chemistry and carbon cycling processes among subarctic plant species and types? Oecologia 147: 315–326. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The plant traits that drive ecosystems: evidence from three continents. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Are growth forms consistent predictors of leaf litter quality and decomposability across peatlands along a latitudinal gradient? Journal of Ecology 93: 817–828. , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of leaf longevity and retranslocation efficiency on the retention time of nutrients in the leaf biomass of different woody species. Oecologia 90: 80–87. , , , .
- 2010. Evidence of the ‘plant economics spectrum’ in a subarctic flora. Journal of Ecology 98: 362–373. , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of root turnover for terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 13–31. , .
- 2000. Nutrient concentrations in fine roots. Ecology 81: 275–280. , .
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. .
- 1997. Integrated screening validates primary axes of specialisation in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Endogenous and exogenous controls of root life span, mortality and nitrogen flux in a longleaf pine forest: root branch order predominates. Journal of Ecology 96: 737–745. , , , , .
- 2004. From leaf to litter: nutrient resorption in a changing environment. PhD thesis, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. .
- 2003. Current measures of nutrient resorption efficiency lead to a substantial underestimation of real resorption efficiency: facts and solutions. Oikos 101: 664–669. , , .
- 1999. Leaf nutrient resorption, leaf lifespan and the retention of nutrients in seagrass systems. Aquatic Botany 65: 141–158. , , .
- 2001. Physiological significance of anthocyanins during autumnal leaf senescence. Tree Physiology 21: 1–8. , , .
- 1986. The terminological jungle revisited: making a case for use of the term resorption. Oikos 46: 263–264. .
- 1996. Nutrients in senesced leaves: keys to the search for potential resorption and resorption proficiency. Ecology 77: 1716–1727. .
- 2005. Resorption efficiency decreases with increasing green leaf nutrients in a global data set. Ecology 86: 2780–2792. , , .
- 1996. The vegetation N:P ratio: a new tool to detect the nature of nutrient limitation. The Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 1441–1450. , .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1982. The role of fine roots in the organic matter and nitrogen budgets of two forested ecosystems. Ecology 63: 1481–1490. , , .
- 1985. Below- and aboveground N and P use by Abies amabilis stands. Ecology 66: 1928–1942. , , .
- 2005. Relationships between phenology and the remobilization of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium in branches of eight mediterranean evergreens. New Phytologist 168: 167–178. , , , .
- 1994. Drought and site fertility effects on foliar nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics and nutrient resorption by the forest understory shrub Viburnum acerifolium L. American Midland Naturalist 131: 109–119. , .
- 1964. Characterization of leachate from plant foliage. Plant Physiology 39: 590–593. , .
- 1977. Mineral nutrient pathways in a Molinietum in autumn and winter. Journal of Ecology 65: 993–999. .
- 1992. Den nordiska floran. Stockholm, Sweden: Wahlström & Widstrand. , , .
- 1962. A modified single method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Analytica Chimica Acta 27: 31–36. , .
- 1987. Do nutrients retranslocate from fine roots? Canadian Journal of Forest Research – Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 17: 913–918. .
- 1991. Nutrient retranslocation in temperate conifers. Tree Physiology 9: 185–207. , .
- 2000. Nitrogen resorption in senescing tree leaves in a warmer, CO2-enriched atmosphere. Plant and Soil 224: 15–29. , , , .
- 1987. Little bluestem litter dynamics in Minnesota old fields. Oecologia 72: 327–330. , , .
- 1998. Photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency of species that differ inherently in specific leaf area. Oecologia 116: 26–37. , .
- 2003. Decomposition of sub-arctic plants with differing nitrogen economies: a functional role for hemiparasites. Ecology 84: 3209–3221. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Leaf carbon and nutrient assimilation and conservation in species of differing successional status in an oligotrophic Amazonian forest. Functional Ecology 9: 65–76. , , .
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plant, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1996. The importance of tissue density for growth and life span of leaves and roots: a comparison of five ecologically contrasting grasses. Functional Ecology 10: 717–723. .
- 2000. Foliar nutrient retranslocation in Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 20: 1105–1112. , , .
- 1980. Response to fertilization by various plant growth forms in an Alaskan tundra: nutrient accumulation and growth. Ecology 61: 662–675. , .
- 1983. Nitrogen redistribution during grain growth in wheat. IV. Development of a quantitative model of the translocation of nitrogen to the grain. Plant Physiology 71: 7–14. , , .
- 2002. Climatic and resource quality controls on soil respiration across a forest–tundra ecotone in Swedish lapland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34: 1633–1646. , .
- 1966. Leaching of metabolites from above-ground plant parts and its implications. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 93: 385–401. .
- 1970. The leaching of substances from plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 21: 305–324. .
- 1958. Loss of nutrients by foliar leaching as determined by radioisotopes. Proceedings of the American Society for Horticultural Science 71: 496–506. , , .
- 1991. Nitrogen limitation on land and in the sea: how can it occur? Biogeochemistry 13: 87–115. , .
- 1981. Grassland nitrogen. In: Clark FE, Rosswall T, eds. Terrestrial nitrogen cycles. Ecological Bulletins-NFR 33: 443–462. , , .
- 2001. Relationships between leaf lifespan and structural defences in a low-nutrient, sclerophyll flora. Functional Ecology 15: 351–359. , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Global-scale patterns of nutrient resorption associated with latitude, temperature and precipitation. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 11–18. , .