Root pressure and a solute reflection coefficient close to unity exclude a purely apoplastic pathway of radial water transport in barley (Hordeum vulgare)
Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 1, pages 159–170, July 2010
How to Cite
Knipfer, T. and Fricke, W. (2010), Root pressure and a solute reflection coefficient close to unity exclude a purely apoplastic pathway of radial water transport in barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist, 187: 159–170. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03240.x
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
- Received: 17 December 2009, Accepted: 12 February 2010
- 1970. Excised root exudation – a standing-gradient osmotic flow. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 174: 445–458. , , .
- 2009. Root suberin forms an extracellular barrier that affects water relations and mineral nutrition in arabidopsis. PLOS Genetics 5: e1000492. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Early effects of salinity on water transport in Arabidopsis roots. Molecular and cellular features of aquaporin expression. Plant Physiology 139: 790–805. , , , , , .
- 2007. Comparison between gradient-dependent hydraulic conductivities of roots using the root pressure probe: the role of pressure propagations and implications for the relative roles of parallel radial pathways. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 861–874. , , , .
- 1977. Determination of hydraulic and osmotic properties of soybean root systems. Plant Physiology 59: 1013–1020. .
- 1989. Axial and radial hydraulic resistance to roots of maize (Zea mays L.) Plant Physiology 91: 719–726. , .
- 2002. The biophysics of leaf growth in salt-stressed barley: a study at the cell level. Plant Physiology 129: 1–15. , .
- 1997. Sodium and potassium transport to the xylem are inherited independently in rice, and the mechanism of sodium:potassium selectivity differs between rice and wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1167–1174. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of water storage in the stele on measurements of hydraulics of young roots of corn and barley. New Phytologist 184: 631–643. , , .
- 2007. During measurements of root hydraulics with pressure probes, the contribution of unstirred layers is minimized in the pressure relaxation mode: comparison with pressure clamp and high-pressure flowmeter. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 845–860. , , .
- 2008. Root hydraulic conductivity measured by pressure clamp is substantially affected by internal unstirred layers. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 2071–2084. , .
- 1932. The absorption of water by root systems of plants. American Journal of Botany 19: 148–164. .
- 2008. Cell-specific localization of Na+ in roots of durum wheat, and possible control points for salt exclusion. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1565–1574. , , , , .
- 1985a. Studies of root function in Zea mays: III. Xylem sap composition at maximum root pressure provides evidence of active transport into the xylem and a measurement of reflection coefficient of the root. Plant Physiology 77: 162–167. .
- 1985b. Studies of root function in Zea mays: IV. Effects of applied pressure on the hydraulic conductivity and volume flow through the excised root. Plant Physiology 77: 168–174. .
- 1987. Errors in the measurement of root pressure and exudation volume flow rate caused by damage during the transfer of unsupported roots between solutions. Plant Physiology 85: 164–166. .
- 1985. Na+, K+ and Cl− in xylem sap flowing to shoots of NaCl-treated barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 1032–1042. .
- 1999. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2003. The riddle of root pressure. I. Putting Maxwell’s demon to rest. Functional Plant Biology 30: 121–134. .
- 2008. Multiple phophorylations in the C-terminal tail of plant plasma membrane aquaporins. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 7: 1019–1030. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Water uptake by plant roots: an integration of views. Plant and Soil 226: 46–56. .
- 1983. Water transport in barley roots. Planta 158: 237–248. , .
- 1993. Transport of water and solutes across maize roots modified by puncturing the endodermis. Plant Physiology 103: 335–349. , , .
- 1987. Water transport in maize roots. Measurement of hydraulic conductivity, solute permeability, and of reflection coefficients of excised roots using the root pressure probe. Plant Physiology 84: 1220–1232. , , .
- 1998. How does water get through roots? Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 775–788. , .
- 1997. Mercurial-sensitive water transport in barley roots. Journal of Plant Research 110: 435–442. , , , .
- 1994. Microsampling and measurements of solutes in single cells. In: HarrisN, OparkaKJ, eds. Plant cell biology – a practical approach. Oxford, UK: IRL Press, 297–314. , , , , .
- 2007. Water permeability differs between growing and non-growing barley leaf tissues. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 377–390. , , , , , .
- 1998. Apoplastic transport across young maize roots: effect of the exodermis. Planta 206: 7–19. , .