Progressive erosion of genetic and epigenetic variation in callus-derived cocoa (Theobroma cacao) plants
Version of Record online: 14 APR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 4, pages 856–868, June 2010
How to Cite
Rodríguez López, C. M., Wetten, A. C. and Wilkinson, M. J. (2010), Progressive erosion of genetic and epigenetic variation in callus-derived cocoa (Theobroma cacao) plants. New Phytologist, 186: 856–868. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03242.x
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 APR 2010
- Received: 19 August 2009, Accepted: 8 February 2010
- 2002. Large deletions in chloroplast DNA of rice calli after long-term culture. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 917–923. , , , .
- 2003. Antibiotic-induced DNA methylation changes in calluses of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 72: 157–162. , , , .
- 2006. A sequence related to rice Pong transposable element displays transcriptional activation by in vitro culture and reveals somaclonal variations in maize. Genome 49: 1399–1407. , , .
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecology Letters 11: 106–115. , , .
- 2001. Measurement of the extent of somaclonal variation in begonia plants regenerated under various conditions. Comparison of three assays. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 102: 111–117. , .
- 1998. Somaclonal variation: mechanisms and applications in crop improvement. In: Jain SM, Brar DS, Ahloowalia BS, eds. Somaclonal variation and induced mutations in crop improvement. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publisher, 15–38. , .
- 2007. Developmental and genetic variation in nuclear microsatellite stability during somatic embryogenesis in pine. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 687–698. , , , .
- 2002. Oxidative stress inactivates the human mismatch repair system. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology 283: C148–C154. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. AdoMet-dependent methylation, DNA methyltransferases and base flipping. Nucleic Acids Research 29: 3784–3795. , .
- 2001. Somaclonal variation rate evolution in plant tissue culture: contribution to understanding through a statistical approach. In vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 37: 539–542. , , .
- 1997. Mutation Detection. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 1964. Cacao and its allies. A taxonomic review of the genus Theobroma. Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 35: 379–614. .
- 2003. Genetic and epigenetic aspects of somaclonal variation: flower colour bud sports in azalea, a case study. South African Journal of Botany 69: 117–128. , , , , , .
- 2001. Somatic polyploidy and its consequences for flower coloration and flower morphology in azalea. Plant Cell Reports 20: 583–590. , , , , , .
- 1994. Mitochondrial DNAvariation in somatic embryogenic cultures of Larix. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 88: 727–732. , , .
- 1999. Somaclonal variation in cryopreserved embryogenic clones of white spruce (Picea glauca (Moench) Voss.). Plant Cell Reports 18: 948–953. , , , .
- 2002. AFLPOP: a computer program for simulated and real population allocation based on AFLP data. Molecular Ecology Notes 3: 380–383. , .
- 2009. Use of secondary somatic embryos promotes genetic fidelity in cryopreservation of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.). Agricultural and Food Science 18: 152–159. , , , , .
- 2004. The correlation between the chromosome variation in callus and genotype of explants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetica 121: 145–154. , .
- 1999. Microsatellites: evolution and applications. Suffolk, UK: Oxford University Press. , .
- 1966. Some distance properties of latent root and vectors methods used in multivariate analysis. Biometrika 53: 325–338. .
- 1998. Chromosomal basis of somaclonal variation in plants. In: Jain SM, Brar DS, Ahloowalia BS, eds. Somaclonal variation and induced mutations in crop improvement. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publisher, 149–168. .
- 2002. Analysis of ploidy and the patterns of amplified length polymorphism and methylation sensitive amplification polymorphism in strawberry plants recovered from cryopreservation. Cryoletters 23: 37–46. , , .
- 1998. Molecular and biochemical characterization of somaclonal variation. In: Jain SM, Brar DS, Ahloowalia BS, eds. Somaclonal variation and induced mutations in crop improvement. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publisher, 485–499. .
- 1999. Posttranscriptional gene silencing in transgenic sugarcane. Dissection of homology-dependent virus resistance in a monocot that has a complex polyploid genome. Plant Physiology 119: 1187–1198. , , .
- 2004. Search for methylation-sensitive amplification polymorphisms associated with the “mantled” variant phenotype in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.). Genome 47: 224–228. , , , , .
- 2008. Detection of somaclonal variation of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) using cytogenetics, flow cytometry and molecular markers. Plant Cell Reports 27: 1303–1316. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Variation in potato microplant morphology in vitro and DNA methylation. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 70: 125–137. , .
- 2003. Stress and aberrant phenotypes in in vitro culture. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 74: 103–121. , , .
- 1993. Tissue culture induced DNA methylation in maize. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 8773–8776. , .
- 1988. Restriction endonuclease MroI useful for genetic engineering – obtained by culturing Micrococcus roseus S. Japanese Patent Office JP 63098383. , , , , .
- 1992. Conservation of cocoa in field genebanks – the international cocoa genebank, Trinidad. In: Proceedings of the international workshop on conservation, characterization and utilization of cocoa genetic resources in 21st century. 21–26. 13–17 Sep. 1992, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. , .
- 2005. Characterization of some chromosomal aberrations in regenerated rice plants (Oryza sativa). Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 83: 161–168. , .
- 2009. Cell culture-induced gradual and frequent epigenetic reprogramming of invertedly repeated tobacco transgene epialleles. Plant Physiology 149: 1493–1504. , , , .
- 2005. DNA mismatch repair. Annual Review Biochemistry 74: 681–710. , .
- 2004. Controlled cell death, plant survival and development. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 5: 305–315. .
- 1998. Origin of haploids and semigamy in Theobroma cacao L. Euphytica 38: 221–228. .
- 1999. Isolation and characterization of microsatellites in Theobroma cacao L. Molecular Ecology 8: 2141–2152. , , , , , .
- 2002. Microsatellites: genomic distribution, putative functions and mutational mechanisms: a review. Molecular Ecology 11: 2453–2465. , , , , .
- 1998. Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from floral explants of cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) using thidiazuron. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 34: 293–299. , , , .
- 2006. Changes in the morphology and cation content of a Bambusa edulis xylem mutant, vse, derived from somaclonal. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 131: 445–451. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from flower parts of cocoa Theobroma cacao L. Comptes rendus de l’Académie des sciences 316: 579–584. , , , .
- 2009. Analysis of genetic stability at SSR loci during somatic embryogenesis in maritime pine (Pinus pinaster). Plant Cell Reports 28: 673–682. , , , , .
- 1991. Characterization of the level, target sites and inheritance off cytosine methylation in tomato nuclear DNA. Plant Molecular Biology 16: 753–770. , , , .
- 2009. Molecular characterization and physico-chemical analysis of a new giant embryo mutant allele (ge(t)) in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Genes & Genomics 31: 277–282. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Revealing genetic markers in Geledium vagum (Rhodophyta) through the random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) technique. Journal of Phycology 29: 216–222. , , .
- 2006. Assessment of genetic and epigenetic variation in hop plants regenerated from sequential subcultures of organogenic calli. Journal of Plant Physiology 163: 1071–1079. , , .
- 1994. Genetic instability of plant tissue cultures: breakdown of normal controls. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 5222–5226. , , .
- 1991. An assessment of genetic stability of potato in vitro by molecular and phenotypic analysis. Plant Science 76: 239–248. , .
- 2001. Assessment of somaclonal variation in asparagus by RAPD fingerprinting and cytogenetic analyses. Scientia Horticulturae 90: 19–29. , , .
- 1997. Differences in DNA methylation patterns are detectable during the dimorphic transition of fungi by amplification of restriction polymorphisms. Molecular and General Genetics 253: 703–710. , , .
- 2004. Detection and quantification of in vitro-culture induced chimerism using simple sequence repeat (SSR) analysis in Theobroma cacao (L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 157–166. , , .
- 2002. Somatic mutations at STR loci-a reason for three-allele pattern and mosaicism. Forensic Science International 126: 200–202. , , .
- 1997. Antibiotics induce genome-wide hypermethylation in cultured Nicotiana Tabacum plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 1534–1540. , , .
- 2008. Cytogenetic analysis of somaclonal variation in regenerated plants of Berseem clover (Trifolium alexandrium L.). Caryologia 61: 392–396. , .
- 2003. The structure of interrupted human AC microsatellites. Molecular Ecology and Evolution 20: 453–459. , , , , , .
- 2004. BRU1, a novel link between responses to DNA damage and epigenetic gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 18: 782–793. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Isolation and identification of restriction endonuclease BseAI. Nucleic Acids Research 17: 8881. , , , .
- 2003. Micropropagation of Theobroma cacao L. using somatic embryo-derived plants. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 39: 332–337. , , .
- 1999. Frequency of somaclonal variation in plants of black spruce (Picea maritima, Pinaceae) and white spruce (P. glauca, Pinaceae) derived from somatic embryogenesis and identification of some factors involved in genetic instability. American Journal of Botany 86: 1373–1381. , , .
- 2001. Variation in essential oil components in regenerated lavender (Lavandula vera DC) plants. Scientia Horticulturae 88: 309–317. , , .
- 2002. Rate and pattern of mutation at microsatellite loci in maize. Molecular Biology and Evolution 19: 1251–1260. , , , , .
- 2003. Embryogenesis and genetic stability in long term megagametophyte-derived cultures of larch. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 75: 27–34. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ribonucleotide reductases are critical for cell cycle progression, DNA damage repair, and plant development. Plant Cell 18: 350–365. , .
- 1994. RNA-directed de novo methylation of genomic sequences in plants. Cell 76: 567–576. , , , .
- 2001. Is G1 arrest in plant seeds induced by a p53-related pathway? Trends in Plant Sciences 6: 248–251. , , .
- 2003. Mismatch Repair in methylated DNA structure and activity of the mismatch-specific thymine glycosylase domain of methyl-cpg-binding protein MBD4. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 5285–5291. , , , , , .
- 1999. Patterns of cytosine methylation in an elite rice hybrid and its parental lines, detected by a methylation sensitive amplification polymorphism technique. Molecular General Genetics 261: 439–446. , , , .
- 2006. Variation in leaf structures of micropropagated rhubarb (Rheum rhaponticum L.) PC49. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 85: 115–121. , , .