Perfluorodecalin enhances in vivo confocal microscopy resolution of Arabidopsis thaliana mesophyll
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 4, pages 1018–1025, June 2010
How to Cite
Littlejohn, G. R., Gouveia, J. D., Edner, C., Smirnoff, N. and Love, J. (2010), Perfluorodecalin enhances in vivo confocal microscopy resolution of Arabidopsis thaliana mesophyll. New Phytologist, 186: 1018–1025. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03244.x
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
- Received: 17 December 2009, Accepted: 14 February 2010
- 1999. Cameleon calcium indicator reports cytoplasmic calcium dynamics in Arabidopsis guard cells. Plant Journal 19: 735–747. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Chlorophyll fluorescence: a probe of photosynthesis in vivo. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 89–113. .
- 2008. Fluorescent protein applications in plants. Methods in Cell Biology 85: 153–177. , .
- 1993. Ratio confocal imaging of free cytoplasmic calcium gradients in polarising and polarised Fucus zygotes. Zygote 1: 9–15. , .
- 2000. Plant cell biology in the new millennium: new tools and new insights. American Journal of Botany 87: 1547–1560. , .
- 2008. Magnitude and direction of vesicle dynamics in growing pollen tubes using spatiotemporal image correlation spectroscopy and fluorescence recovery after photobleaching. Plant Physiology 147: 1646–1658. , , , , , .
- 2005. Successful pancreas preservation by a perfluorocarbon-based one-layer method for subsequent pig islet isolation. Transplantation 79: 433–437. , , , , .
- 2006. Interaction of light with botanical specimens. In: Pawley JP, ed. Handbook of biological confocal microscopy, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: Springer Science+Business Media, 414–441. .
- 1995. The use of perfluorocarbon liquids in vitreoretinal surgery. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica 73: 442–445. , , , , .
- 2000. Dead cells don’t dance: insights from live-cell imaging in plants. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 3: 532–537. , .
- 1999. Liquid ventilation. Paediatrics & Child Health 35: 434–437. .
- 2005. Genetically encoded sensors for metabolites. Cytometry. Part A 64: 3–9. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Using intrinsically fluorescent proteins for plant cell imaging. Plant Journal 45: 599–615. , , .
- 2004. Imaging plant cells by two-photon excitation. Protoplasma 223: 1–32. , .
- 2001. Confocal imaging of metabolism in vivo: pitfalls and possibilities. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 631–640. , .
- 1992. Gibberellic acid and abscisic acid coordinately regulate cytoplasmic calcium and secretory activity in barley aleurone protoplasts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 3591–3595. , .
- 1997. Removal of a cryptic intron and subcellular localization of green fluorescent protein are required to mark transgenic Arabidopsis plants brightly. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 2122–2127. , , , .
- 2001. Combined use of partially fluorinated alkanes, perfluorocarbon liquids and silicone oil: an experimental study. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 239: 373–381. , , , .
- 2006. Foundations of confocal scanned imaging in light microscopy. In: Pawley JP, ed. Handbook of biological confocal microscopy, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: Springer Science+Business Media, 1–16. .
- 2001. Fluorocarbons and fluorinated amphiphiles in drug delivery and biomedical research. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 47: 209–228. .
- 2003. Engineering blood: synthetic substitutes from fluorinated compounds. Tissue Engineering 9: 389–399. .
- 1975. Effect of vacuum infiltration on photosynthetic gas exchange in leaf tissue. Plant Physiology 56: 109–112. .
- 2002. Evidence of toxic side effects of perfluorohexyloctane after vitreoretinal surgery as well as in previously established in vitro models with ocular cell types. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 240: 989–995. , , .
- 2007. Oscillations in extracellular pH and reactive oxygen species modulate tip growth of Arabidopsis root hairs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 20996–21001. , , , , .
- 2002. A variant of yellow fluorescent protein with fast and efficient maturation for cell-biological applications. Nature Biotechnology 20: 87–90. , , , , , .
- 2004. Safeguarding production-loss in major crops and the role of crop protection. Crop Protection 23: 275–285. , .
- 2008. Microtubules are a target for self-incompatibility signalling in Papaver pollen. Plant Physiology 146: 1358–1367. , , .
- 1970. Properties of perfluorinated liquids. Federation Proceedings 29: 1699–1703. , .
- 1972. Penetration of stomata by liquids. Plant Physiology 49: 813–819. , .
- 1996. Sinapate Esters Provide Greater UV-B Attenuation than Flavonoids in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 679–686. .
- 1972. Use of fluorocarbons to study freezing in plant tissues. Plant Physiology 50: 632–634. , , .
- 1997a. Cellular responses of plant protoplasts to culture with oxygenated perfluorocarbon. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 428: 501–505. , , , , .
- 1997b. Carbon dioxide-gassed fluorocarbon enhances micropropagation of rose (Rosa chinesis Jacq.). Plant Cell Reports 17: 17–21. , , , , .