A size-mediated effect can compensate for transient chilling stress affecting maize (Zea mays) leaf extension
Version of Record online: 30 APR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 1, pages 106–118, July 2010
How to Cite
Louarn, G., Andrieu, B. and Giauffret, C. (2010), A size-mediated effect can compensate for transient chilling stress affecting maize (Zea mays) leaf extension. New Phytologist, 187: 106–118. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03260.x
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 30 APR 2010
- Received: 18 December 2009, Accepted: 7 March 2010
- 2004. Image Processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11: 36–42. , , .
- 2006. Onset of sheath extension and duration of lamina extension are major determinants of the response of maize lamina length to plant density. Annals of Botany 98: 1005–1016. , , .
- 2004. The decrease in growth of phosphorus-deficient maize leaves is related to a lower cell production. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 887–895. , , .
- 2003. Cell cycle: the key to plant growth control? Trends in Plant Science 8: 154–158. , , .
- 1962. Growth and development of leaves from intercalary meristems of Phalaris arundinacae. Nature 194: 1097–1098. , .
- 1995. Temperature affects expansion rate of maize leaves without change in spatial distribution of cell length: analysis of the coordination between cell division and cell expansion. Plant Physiology 109: 861–870. , .
- 1980. Action d’une température fraîche (10°C) appliquée au stade jeune sur la croissance et l’activité photosynthétique de deux variétés précoces de Maïs. Annales d’Amélioration des Plantes 30: 399–410. , , .
- 1961. The developmental anatomy of leaves in Lolium temmulentum. Annals of Botany 25: 1–11. .
- 1999. Effects of sheath tube length on leaf development in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Annals of Applied Biology 134: 251–257. , , , .
- 2000. Physiological anatomy and function of the membranous grass ligule. New Phytologist 146: 5–21. .
- 2008. Short-term responses of leaf growth rate to water deficit scale up to whole-plant and crop levels: an integrated modelling approach in maize. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 378–391. , , , , , .
- 1983. Regrowth of perennial ryegrass as affected by simulated leaf sheaths. Journal of Agricultural Science 101: 131–137. , , .
- 1994. Genetic variation for resistance to low temperature photoinhibition of photosynthesis in maize. Euphytica 80: 85–93. , , , .
- 1995. Drought effects on cellular and spatial parameters of leaf growth in tall fescue. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1147–1155. , , , .
- 1999. Grass leaf elongation rate as a function of developmental stage and temperature: morphological analysis and modelling. Annals of Botany 83: 577–588. , , .
- 2000. Can meristematic activity determine variation in leaf size and elongation rate among four poa species? A kinematic study. Plant Physiology 124(2): 845–856. , , , .
- 2002. Ethylene emission and responsiveness to applied ethylene vary among Poa species that inherently differ in leaf elongation rates. Plant Physiology 129: 1382–1390. , , , , .
- 2005. A functional-structural model of elongation of the grass leaf and its relationships with the phyllochron. New Phytologist 166: 881–894. , , , , , .
- 1979. Field studies of cereal leaf growth: 1. initiation and expansion in relation to temperature and ontogeny. Journal of Experimental Botany 30: 625–636. .
- 1991. Growth-pattern and movement of epidermal-cells within leaves of Asphodelus tenuifolius Cav. Annals of Botany 68: 307–315. , .
- 1986. Harmonisation des notations concernant la description morphologique d’un pied de maïs (Zea mays L.). Agronomie 6: 873–875. , , , .
- 1996. Improving suboptimal temperature tolerance in maize – the search for variation. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 307–323. .
- 2005. Maximum likelihood inference and bootstrap methods for plant organ growth via multi-phase kinetic models and their application to maize. Annals of Botany 96: 137–148. , , .
- 1946. The growth rate of E. coli in relation to temperature, quinine, and coenzyme. Journal of Cellular and Comparative Physiology 28: 239–251. , .
- 2006. Phosphorus nutrition and mycorrhiza effects on grass leaf growth. P status- and size-mediated effects on growth zone kinematics. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 511–520. , , , .
- 1980. An overview of APSIM, a model designed for farming systems simulation. European Journal of Agronomy 18: 267–288. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. The location and size of the extension zone of emerging wheat leaves. New Phytologist 84: 729–737. .
- 1982. Quantitative characterisation of vegetative development on small cereal grains. Agronomy Journal 74: 789–792. , , .
- 2002. A model co-ordinating the elongation of all leaves of a sorghum cultivar was applied to both Mediterranean and Sahelian conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 715–725. , .
- 1983. C4 photosynthesis at low temperatures. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 345–363. .
- 2008. Relative contributions of light interception and radiation use efficiency to the reduction of maize productivity under cold temperatures. Functional Plant Biology 35: 885–899. , , , , .
- 1982. The effect of low temperature on Zea mays. Advances in Agronomy 35: 93–128. .
- 2001. The elongation rate at the base of a maize leaf shows an invariant pattern during both the steady-state elongation and the establishment of the elongation zone. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1259–1268. , , .
- 1988. Effect of temperature on spatial and temporal aspects of growth in the primary maize root. Plant Physiology 87: 529–532. , .
- 2009. Leaf development in rice and maize: framework of analysis, compared responses to temperature and growth regulation under water deficit. PhD Thesis, Montpellier Supagro, Montpellier, France. .
- 2009. Spatial and temporal analysis of non-steady elongation of rice leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1561–1572. , , .
- 1988. Low temperature and the growth of plants. Symposium of the Society of Experimental Botany 42: 157–180. , .
- 2007. Cold nights impair leaf growth and cell cycle progression in maize through transcriptional changes of cell cycle genes. Plant Physiology 143: 1429–1438. , , , , , .
- 1987. Assessment of spatial distribution of growth in the elongation zone of grass leaf blades. Plant Physiology 85: 290–293. , , .
- 1990. Spatial distribution of growth rates and of epidermal cell lengths in the elongation zone during leaf development in Lolium perenne L. Planta 181: 423–431. , , , .
- 1992. Response of plant membrane to chilling and freezing. In: LeshemYY, ShewfeltRL, WilcomerCM, PantojaO, eds. Plant membrane. London, UK: Kluwer, 192–219. .
- 1992. Steady form from changing cells. International Journal of Plant Sciences 153: 49–58. .
- 1993. Modulation of leaf elongation, tiller appearance and tiller senescence in spring barley by far-red light. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 555–562. , .
- 1994. Epidermal cell division and the coordination of leaf and tiller development. Annals of Botany 74: 9–16. , .
- 2003. Changes in plasmodesmata frequency in vascular bundles of the leaf of Zea mays L. seedlings induced by growth at suboptimal temperatures in relation to photosynthesis and assimilate export. Environmental and Experimental Botany 50: 183–196. , , .
- 2000. Spatial distributions of expansion rate, cell division rate and cell size in maize leaves. A synthesis of effect of soil water status, evaporative demand and temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1505–1514. , , , , .
- 2003. Organ shape and size: a lesson from studies of leaf morphogenesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 57–62. .
- 2008. A study of ryegrass architecture as a self-regulated system, using functional–structural plant modelling. Functional Plant Biology 35: 911–924. , , .
- 1996. Growth and development of maize (Zea mays L.) seedlings under chilling conditions in the field. European Journal of Agronomy 5: 31–41. , , .
- 1995. Comparison of maize inbred lines differing in low temperature tolerance: effect of acclimation at suboptimal temperature on chloroplast functioning. Annals of Botany 76: 7–14. , , .
- 1981. Cell dynamics in leaf meristems of contrasting tall fescue genotypes. Crop Science 21: 381–385. , .
- 1983. Response of tall fescue leaf meristem to N fertilization and harvest frequency. Crop Science 23: 720–724. , .
- 1985. The role of the sheath tube in the development of expanding leaves in perennial ryegrass. Annals of Applied Biology 106: 385–391. , .
- 1999. An equation for modeling the temperature response of plants using only the cardinal temperatures. Annals of Botany 84: 607–614. , .
- 1991. Short- and long-term effects of salinity on leaf growth in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 881–889. , , , , .
- 1975. Modèle de fonctionnement d’un peuplement de dactyle (Dactylis glomerata L.) en phase végétative. Approche morphogénétique. Oecologia Plantarum 10: 107–139. , , .