These authors contributed equally to this work.
leafprocessor: a new leaf phenotyping tool using contour bending energy and shape cluster analysis
Article first published online: 22 APR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 1, pages 251–261, July 2010
How to Cite
Backhaus, A., Kuwabara, A., Bauch, M., Monk, N., Sanguinetti, G. and Fleming, A. (2010), leafprocessor: a new leaf phenotyping tool using contour bending energy and shape cluster analysis. New Phytologist, 187: 251–261. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03266.x
- Issue published online: 4 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2010
- Received: 4 March 2010, Accepted: 8 March 2010
- 2007. Control of plant organ size by KLUH/CYP78A5-dependent intercellular signaling. Developmental Cell 13: 843–856. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Face image analysis by unsupervised learning. Boston, MA, USA: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 2008. Mutational spaces for leaf shape and size. HFSP Journal 2: 110–120. , , , , , .
- 1998. Active contours. London, UK: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2008. A conserved molecular framework for compound leaf development. Science 322: 1835–1839. , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. An analysis technique for biological shape-II. Acta Cytologica 21: 455–464. , .
- 2008. Lamina: a tool for rapid quantification of leaf size and shape parameters. BMC Plant Biology 8: 82. , , , , , .
- 1986. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 8: 679–714. .
- 1996. Digital image processing. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA: Prentice-Hall, Inc. .
- 1997. Application and assessment of multiscale bending energy for morphometric characterization of neural cells. Review of Scientific Instruments 68: 2177–2186. , .
- 1979. A cluster separation measure. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 1: 224–227. , .
- 2006. The genetic basis for differences in leaf form between Arabidopsis thaliana and its wild relative Cardamine hirsuta. Nature Genetics 38: 942–947. , .
- 2003. Digital future for paleoclimate estimation from fossil leaves? Preliminary results Palaios 18: 266–274. , , .
- 2002. Digital image processing. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1987. Snakes – active contour models. International Journal of Computer Vision 1: 321–331. , , .
- 2002. The ANGUSTIFOLIA gene of Arabidopsis, a plant CtBP gene, regulates leaf-cell expansion, the arrangement of cortical microtubules in leaf cells and expression of a gene involved in cell-wall formation. EMBO Journal 21: 1267–1279. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The ROTUNDIFOLIA3 gene of Arabidopsis thaliana encodes a new member of the cytochrome P-450 family that is required for the regulated polar elongation of leaf cells. Genes and Development 12: 2381–2391. , , .
- 2005. Evolution through genetically controlled allometry space. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 102: 10221–10226. , , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations. In: LML, Neyman, J, eds. Proceedings of the fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability. Berkeley, USA: University of California Press, 1: 281–297. .
- 1998. The relative success of some methods for measuring and describing the shape of complex objects. Systematic Biology 47: 264–281. , .
- 2005. The elongata mutants identify a functional elongator complex in plants with a role in cell proliferation during organ growth. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 7754–7759. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis jagged gene encodes a zinc finger protein that promotes leaf tissue development. Development 131: 1111–1122. , , , .
- 2004. Biophysical constraints on the origin of leaves inferred from the fossil record. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 10360–10362. , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis serrate gene encodes a zinc-finger protein required for normal shoot development. Plant Cell 13: 1263–1279. , .
- 2007. Restoration of DWF4 expression to the leaf margin of a dwf4 mutant is sufficient to restore leaf shape but not size: the role of the margin in leaf development. Plant Journal 52: 1094–1104. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Sensitivity of leaf size and shape to climate within Acer rubrum and Quercus kelloggii. New Phytologist 179: 808–817. , , , .
- 2008. Dimensionality reduction of clustered data set. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 30: 535–540. .
- 2008. Temperature-dependent changes of cell shape during heterophyllous leaf formation in Ludwigia arcuata (Onagraceae). Planta 228: 27–36. , , , , , .
- 2007. The epidermis both drives and restricts plant shoot growth. Nature 446: 199–202. , , .
- 2006. Control of leaf vascular patterning by polar auxin transport. Genes and Development 20: 1015–1027. , , , .
- 2007. Geometric morphometrics. Annual Review of Anthropology 36: 261–281. .
- 1996. Two independent and polarized processes of cell elongation regulate leaf blade expansion in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Development 122: 1589–1600. , , .
- 2006. Mechanism of leaf-shape determination. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 477–496. .
- 2001. Modulation of cell proliferation by heterotrimeric G protein in Arabidopsis. Science 292: 2066–2069. , , , , , .
- 1993. Curvature and bending energy in digitized 2D and 3D images. In: HogdaKA, BraathenB, HeiaK, eds. Sciaâ93, Proceedings of the 8th Scandinavian conference on image analysis. Tromso, Norway: 1403–1410. , .
- 2008. LeafAnalyser: a computational method for rapid and large-scale analyses of leaf shape variation. Plant Journal 53: 578–586. , , .
- 1995. A morphometric analysis of heterophyllous leaf development in Ranunculus flabellaris. International Journal of Plant Sciences 156: 590–602. , , .
- 1974. An analysis technique for biological shape. Information and Control 25: 357–370. , , .