Multiple functional roles of flavonoids in photoprotection
Article first published online: 10 MAY 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 186, Issue 4, pages 786–793, June 2010
How to Cite
Agati, G. and Tattini, M. (2010), Multiple functional roles of flavonoids in photoprotection. New Phytologist, 186: 786–793. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03269.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 10 MAY 2010
- 2002. Flavonoid distribution in tissues of Phillyrea latifolia as estimated by microspectrofluorometry and multispectral fluorescence microimaging. Photochemistry and Photobiology 76: 350–360. , , , , .
- 2007. Chloroplast-located flavonoids can scavenge singlet oxygen. New Phytologist 174: 77–89. , , , .
- 2009. Mesophyll distribution of antioxidant flavonoids in Ligustrum vulgare leaves under contrasting sunlight irradiance. Annals of Botany 104: 853–861. , , , .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. , .
- 2003. Similar stress responses are elicited by copper and ultraviolet radiation in the aquatic plant Lemma gibba: implication of reactive oxygen species as common signals. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 1320–1329. , , , , , .
- 1996. Photomorphogenic effects of UV-B radiation on plants: consequences for light competition. Journal of Plant Physiology 148: 15–20. , , .
- 2007. Common regulatory themes in meristem development and whole-plant homeostasis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 44–51. , , , .
- 2001. Flavonoids act as negative regulators of auxin transport in vivo in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 126: 524–535. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Structural dependence of flavonoid interactions with Cu(II) ions: implication for their antioxidant properties. Biochemical Journal 339: 1173–1178. , , , .
- 2009. Architectural phenotypes in the transparent testa mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 751–763. , .
- 2000. Contribution of hydroxycinnamates and flavonoids to epidermal shielding of UV-A and UV-B radiation in developing rye primary leaves as assessed by ultraviolet-induced chlorophyll fluorescence measurements. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1373–1380. , , .
- 1983. Internal filters: prospects for UV-acclimation in higher plants. Physiologia Plantarum 58: 445–450. , , .
- 2002. Rethinking the role of many plant phenolics – protection from photodamage, not herbivores? Oikos 99: 166–172. , .
- 1999. Ultraviolet radiation screening compounds. Biological Reviews 74: 311–345. , .
- 1998. Flavonoids: a class of modulators with bifunctional interactions at vicinal ATP- and steroid-binding sites on P-glycoprotein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 9831–9836. , , , , , .
- 1993. Relating UV-B radiation screening effectiveness of foliage to absorbing compounds and anatomical characteristics in a diverse group of plants. Oecologia 95: 542–550. .
- 1994. Ultraviolet absorption and epidermal transmittance spectra in foliage. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 207–218. , , .
- 2000. Plant glutathione S-transferases: enzymes with multiple functions in sickness and in health. Trends in Plant Science 5: 193–198. , , .
- 2008. Light filtering by epidermal flavonoids during the resistant response of cotton to Xanthomonas protects leaf tissue from light-dependent phytoalexin toxicity. Phytochemistry 69: 2320–2328. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Flavanol binding of nuclei from tree species. Plant Cell Reports 22: 430–436. , , .
- 2006. Crosstalk between abiotic and biotic stress responses: a current view from the points of convergence in the stress signaling networks. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 436–442. , , , , , , .
- 1969. Flavonoids and photomorphogenesis in peas. In: Harborne JB, Swain T, eds. Perspectives in phytochemistry. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 193–204. .
- 2005. Cellular efflux of auxin catalyzed by the Arabidopsis MDR/RGP transporter AtPGP1. Plant Journal 44: 179–194. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The effect of far-red light on plant growth and flavonoid accumulation in Brassica napus in the presence of ultraviolet B radiation. Photochemistry and Photobiology 84: 1445–1454. , , .
- 2004. Nature’s Swiss army knife: the diverse protective role of anthocyanins in leaves. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 5: 314–320. .
- 2000. Functional role of anthocyanins in the leaves of Quintinia serrata A. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1107–1115. , , , .
- 2002. Do anthocyanins function as antioxidant in leaves? Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1261–1269. , , .
- 2000. Energy dissipation and radical scavenging by the plant phenylpropanoid pathway. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London B 355: 1499–1510. , .
- 2009. The wanderings of a free radical. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 46: 531–542. .
- 2000. Advances in flavonoid research since 1992. Phytochemistry 55: 481–504. , .
- 2004. Drought-induced changes in flavonoids and other low molecular weight antioxidants in Cistus clusii under Mediterranean field conditions. Tree Physiology 24: 1303–1311. , , .
- 2006. Enhanced oxidation of flavan3-ols and proanthocyanidin accumulation in water-stressed tea plants. Phytochemistry 67: 1120–1126. , , .
- 2009. How relevant are flavonoids as antioxidants in plants? Trends in Plant Science 14: 125–132. , , , .
- 1998. Tissue localization of phenolic compounds in plants by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 953–965. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Naturally occurring auxin transport regulators. Science 241: 346–349. , .
- 2002. Ultraviolet-B radiation effects on plants: induction of morphogenic responses. Physiologia Plantarum 116: 423–439. .
- 2001. Phenol-oxidizing peroxidases contribute to the protection of plants from ultraviolet radiation stress. Plant Physiology 126: 1012–1023. , , , , , .
- 2009. Signal transduction in responses to UV-B radiation. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 407–431. .
- 2003. Light perception in plant disease defence signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 390–396. , , , , .
- 2007. The AtGenExpress global stress expression data set: protocols, evaluation and model data analysis of UV-B light, Drought and cold stress responses. Plant Journal 50: 347–363. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of natural intensities of visible and ultraviolet radiation on epidermal ultraviolet screening and photosynthesis in grape leaves. Plant Physiology 127: 863–875. , , , , , .
- 2004. Experimental evidence that flavonoid metal complexes may act as mimics of superoxide dismutase. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 428: 204–208. , , , , .
- 2008. Metabolic specific effects of solar UV-A and UV-B on alder and birch leaf phenolics. Global Change Biology 14: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2006. Mesophyll versus epidermal anthocyanins as potential in vivo antioxidants: evidence linking the putative antioxidant role to the proximity of oxy-radical source. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2203–2210. , .
- 1995. Arabidopsis mutants lacking phenolic sunscreens exhibit enhanced ultraviolet-B injury and oxidative damage. Plant Physiology 109: 1159–1166. , , .
- 2006. MAX1, a regulator of flavonoid pathway, controls vegetative bud outgrowth in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 472–476. , .
- 1998. Antioxidants and xanthophyll cycle-dependent energy dissipation in Cucurbita pepo L. and Vinca major L. acclimated to four growth PPFDs in the field. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1869–1879. , , , .
- 2006. Why some leaves are anthocyanic and why most anthocyanic leaves are red? Flora 201: 163–177. .
- 1998. An increase in luteolin : apigenin ratio in Marchantia polymorpha on UV-B enhancement. Phytochemistry 48: 791–794. , , , .
- 1992. The inhibition of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase by quercetin and analogs. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 186: 524–631. , , .
- 2003. Synthesis of C-glycosyl phytoalexins as a site-specific response to fungal penetration in cucumber. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 63: 293–303. , , , .
- 2009. The wound-, pathogen-, and ultraviolet B-responsive MYB134 gene encodes a R2R3 transcription factor that regulates proanthocyanidin synthesis in poplar. Plant Physiology 150: 924–941. , , , , .
- 2002. Signal transduction in response to excess light: getting out of the chloroplast. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 43–48. , .
- 2003. Anthocyanins in leaves: light attenuators or antioxidants? Functional Plant Biology 30: 865–873. , .
- 2006. Xanthine oxidase inhibitors from the flowers of Chrysanthemum sinense. Planta Medica 72: 46–51. , , , , , .
- 1999. Epidermal transmittance and phenolic composition of atrazine-tolerant and atrazine-sensitive cultivars of Brassica napus grown under enhanced UV-B radiation. Physiologia Plantarum 107: 259–266. , , .
- 2008. Functional analysis of a predicted flavonol synthase gene family in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 147: 1046–1061. , , , , , .
- 2005. Biochemical and ecological characterization of two peroxidase isoenzymes from the mangrove, Rhizophora mangle. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 612–622. , , .
- 2004. Variation in expression and protein localization of the PIN family of auxin efflux facilitator proteins in flavonoid mutants with altered auxin transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 16: 898–911. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Flavonoids and auxin transport: modulators or regulators? Trends in Plant Science 12: 556–563. , .
- 2001. Diurnal fluctuations of antioxidant systems in leaves of field-grown beech trees (Fagus sylvatica): response to light and temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 158–164. , .
- 2006. Flavonoid oxidation in plants: from biochemical properties to physiological functions. Trends in Plant Science 12: 29–36. , , , , .
- 2006. The regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis. In: Grotewold E, ed. The science of flavonoids. New York, NY, USA: Springer Science, 97–122. , , , .
- 1996. Structure-antioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and phenolic acids. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 20: 933–956. , , .
- 2006. Seduced by the dark side: integrating molecular and ecological perspectives on the influence of light on plant defence against pests and pathogen. New Phytologist 170: 677–699. , .
- 1997. UV-B as an environmental factor in plant life: stress and regulation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 22–28. , , , .
- 1998. UV-B radiation induces increase in quercetin : kaempferol ratio in wild-type and transgenic lines of Petunia. Photochemistry and Photobiology 68: 323–330. , , , , , .
- 2000. Reduction of phenoxyl radicals mediated by monodehydroascorbate reductase. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 279: 949–954. , , , , .
- 2005. Nuclear localization of flavonoid enzymes in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 25: 23735–23740. , , .
- 1976. The distribution of flavonoids in chloroplasts of twenty-five species of vascular plants. Phytochemistry 15: 809–810. , .
- 2003. Contribution of phenolic compounds to the UV-B screening capacity of developing barley primary leaves in relation to DNA damage and repair under elevated UV-B levels. Phytochemistry 64: 243–255. , .
- 1996. Tissue localization of UV-B screening pigments and chalcone synthase mRNA in needles of Scots pine seedlings. New Phytologist 132: 247–258. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Antioxidants in sun and shade leaves of sour orange trees (Citrus aurantium) after long-term acclimation to elevated CO2. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1941–1950. , , , , .
- 2008. Interaction between cyanidin 3-O-glucoside and Cu(II) ions. Food Chemistry 107: 1616–1622. , , .
- 1991. Flavonoid evolution: an enzymic approach. Plant Physiology 96: 680–685. .
- 1988. Cell wall-conjugated phenolics from Coniferae leaves. Phytochemistry 27: 3517–3521. , , , .
- 1986. Plant flavonoids in biology and medicine. In: Cody V, Middleton E Jr, Harborne JB, eds. Progress in clinical and biological research, vol. 213. New York, NY, USA: Liss, 1–14.
- 2005. Regulation of metabolic networks: understanding metabolic complexity in the systems biology era. New Phytologist 168: 9–24. , .
- 1982. Suppression of carotenoids photobleaching by kaempferol in isolated chloroplasts. Plant and Cell Physiology 23: 859–864. .
- 1986. Spectrophotometric study on the oxidation of rutin by horseradish peroxidases and characteristics of the oxidized products. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 882: 445–453. .
- 2004. Differential accumulation of flavonoids and hydroxycinnamates in leaves of Ligustrum vulgare under excess light and drought stress. New Phytologist 163: 547–561. , , , , , .
- 2000. Flavonoids accumulate in leaves and glandular trichomes of Phillyrea latifolia exposed to excess solar radiation. New Phytologist 148: 69–77. , , , , .
- 2005. On the role of flavonoids in the integrated mechanisms of response of Ligustrum vulgare and Phillyrea latifolia to high solar radiation. New Phytologist 167: 457–470. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Morphology and biochemistry of non-glandular trichomes in Cistus salvifolius L. leaves growing in extreme habitats of the Mediterranean basin. Plant Biology 9: 411–419. , , , , .
- 2005. Flavonoids as developmental regulators. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 317–323. , .
- 2009. ABCP/PGP19 stabilises PIN1 in membrane microdomains in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 57: 27–44. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Clone-specific responses in leaf phenolics of willows exposed to enhanced UVB radiation and drought stress. Global Change Biology 11: 1655–1663. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A specific inhibitor of phosphotidylinositol 3-kinase, 2-(4-morpholinyl)-8-phenyl-4H-1benzopyran-4-one (LY294002). Journal of Biological Chemistry 18: 1241–1248. , , , .
- 2004. Flavonoids: antioxidants or signalling molecules? Free Radical Biology and Medicine 36: 838–849. , , .
- 2002. Biosynthesis of flavonoids and effect of stress. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 218–223. .
- 1981. Occurrence and distribution of free flavonoid aglycones in plants. Phytochemistry 20: 869–932. , .
- 1997. Flavonoid-peroxidase reaction as a detoxification mechanism of plant cells against H2O2. Plant Physiology 115: 1405–1412. , , .
- 2003. Chloroplast isolated from kidney bean leaves are capable of phenolic compound biosynthesis. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 50: 623–626. , .