Analysis of barley (Hordeum vulgare) leaf senescence and protease gene expression: a family C1A cysteine protease is specifically induced under conditions characterized by high carbohydrate, but low to moderate nitrogen levels
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 2, pages 313–331, July 2010
How to Cite
Parrott, D. L., Martin, J. M. and Fischer, A. M. (2010), Analysis of barley (Hordeum vulgare) leaf senescence and protease gene expression: a family C1A cysteine protease is specifically induced under conditions characterized by high carbohydrate, but low to moderate nitrogen levels. New Phytologist, 187: 313–331. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03278.x
- Issue online: 24 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2010
- Received: 3 February 2010, Accepted: 12 March 2010
- 2003. The molecular analysis of leaf senescence – a genomics approach. Plant Biotechnology Journal 1: 3–22. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Nutrient management in recirculating hydroponic culture. Acta Horticulturae (ISHS) 648: 99–112. .
- 2003. Exclusion of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase from chloroplasts by specific bodies in naturally senescing leaves of wheat. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 914–921. , , , , .
- 2004. A new resource for cereal genomics: 22K barley GeneChip comes of age. Plant Physiology 134: 960–968. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. HarvEST. An EST database and viewing software. Methods in Molecular Biology 406: 161–177. , , , .
- 1999. Overexpression of Arabidopsis hexokinase in tomato plants inhibits growth, reduces photosynthesis, and induces rapid senescence. Plant Cell 11: 1253–1266. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Isolation and analysis of cDNAs encoding tomato cysteine proteases expressed during leaf senescence. Plant Molecular Biology 30: 755–767. , , , , , .
- 2007. Locating proteins in the cell using TargetP, SignalP and related tools. Nature Protocols 2: 953–971. , , , .
- 2004. Proteolysis. In: NoodénLD, ed. Plant cell death processes. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Academic Press, 107–123. .
- 2008. Rubiscolytics: fate of Rubisco after its enzymatic function in a cell is terminated. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1615–1624. , , .
- 1994. Nitrogen metabolism in senescing leaves. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 13: 241–273. , .
- 1998. Influence of senescence and carbohydrate levels on the pattern of leaf proteases in purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus). Physiologia Plantarum 102: 385–395. , , .
- 2004. Storage protein accumulation in the absence of the vacuolar processing enzyme family of cysteine proteases. Plant Cell 16: 270–290. , , .
- 2008. Mobilization of Rubisco and stroma-localized fluorescent proteins of chloroplasts to the vacuole by an ATG gene-dependent autophagic process. Plant Physiology 148: 142–155. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Comparative transcriptome profiling of near-isogenic barley (Hordeum vulgare) lines differing in the allelic state of a major grain protein content locus identifies genes with possible roles in leaf senescence and nitrogen reallocation. New Phytologist 177: 333–349. , , , , , .
- 2004. The DNA-binding protease, CND41, and the degradation of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in senescent leaves of tobacco. Planta 220: 97–104. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Post-translational regulation of CND41 protease activity in senescent tobacco leaves. Planta 222: 643–651. , , , .
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 509–540. .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 2002. SAS™ for linear models, 4th edn. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. , , .
- 2007. Vacuolar cysteine proteases of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) are common to leaf senescence induced by different factors. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1099–1107. , , , .
- 2008a. ‘Senescence-associated vacuoles’ are involved in the degradation of chloroplast proteins in tobacco leaves. Plant Journal 56: 196–206. , , , , .
- 2008b. Senescence-associated degradation of chloroplast proteins inside and outside the organelle. Plant Biology 10(Suppl. 1): 15–22. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of the sink/source transition in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) shoots in relation to nitrogen management and leaf senescence. Planta 211: 510–518. , , , , .
- 2008. Leaf nitrogen remobilisation for plant development and grain filling. Plant Biology 10(Suppl. 1): 23–36. , , .
- 1998. Growth of tobacco in short day conditions leads to high starch, low sugars, altered diurnal changes of the nia transcript and low nitrate reductase activity, and an inhibition of amino acid synthesis. Planta 207: 27–41. , , , .
- 2003. Mapping of QTL associated with nitrogen storage and remobilization in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 801–812. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of light and external solutes on the catabolism of nuclear-encoded stromal proteins in intact chloroplasts isolated from pea leaves. Plant Physiology 100: 2100–2105. , .
- 2003. Role of the Arabidopsis glucose sensor HXK1 in nutrient, light, and hormonal signaling. Science 300: 332–336. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Possible mechanisms of adaptive leaf senescence. Plant Biology 3: 234–243. , , , .
- 2007. Steam-girdling of barley (Hordeum vulgare) leaves leads to carbohydrate accumulation and accelerated leaf senescence, facilitating transcriptomic analysis of senescence-associated genes. New Phytologist 176: 56–69. , , , .
- 2005. Senescence is accelerated, and several proteases are induced by carbon “feast” conditions in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) leaves. Planta 222: 989–1000. , , , .
- 1997. Sugar repression of photosynthesis: the role of carbohydrates in signalling nitrogen deficiency through source:sink imbalance. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 110–116. , .
- 1988. The interplay between proteolysis and amino acid metabolism during senescence and nitrogen reallocation. In: NoodénLD, LeopoldAC, eds. Senescence and aging in plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 181–217. , .
- 2006. Effect of sugar-induced senescence on gene expression and implications for the regulation of senescence in Arabidopsis. Planta 224: 556–568. , , , , .
- 2004. Interactions of abscisic acid and sugar signalling in the regulation of leaf senescence. Planta 219: 1–8. , , , , , .
- 2008. MEROPS: the peptidase database. Nucleic Acids Research 36: D320–D325. , , , , .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , , .
- 2005. A gene expression map of Arabidopsis thaliana development. Nature Genetics 37: 501–506. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Vacuolar processing enzymes are essential for proper processing of seed storage proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 32292–32299. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Predotar: a tool for rapidly screening proteomes for N-terminal targeting sequences. Proteomics 4: 1581–1590. , , , .
- 1999. Nitrate regulation of metabolism and growth. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 178–186. .
- 2008. A systems view of nitrogen nutrient and metabolite responses in Arabidopsis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 521–529. , .
- 2000. Genomic analysis of a nutrient response in Arabidopsis reveals diverse expression patterns and novel metabolic and potential regulatory genes induced by nitrate. Plant Cell 12: 1491–1509. , , , .
- 2004. Spatial patterns and metabolic regulation of photosynthetic parameters during leaf senescence. New Phytologist 161: 781–789. , , .
- 2009. Sugars, senescence, and ageing in plants and heterotrophic organisms. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1063–1066. , , .
- 2006. The role of sugars in integrating environmental signals during the regulation of leaf senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 391–399. , , , .
- 2008. Metabolic regulation of leaf senescence: interactions of sugar signalling with biotic and abiotic stress responses. Plant Biology 10: 50–62. , .
- 1998. Regulation of leaf senescence by cytokinin, sugars, and light effects on NADH-dependent hydroxypyruvate reductase. Plant Physiology 116: 329–335. , , , , .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of the function of major leaf proteases in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) nitrogen remobilization. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2607–2616. , , , , .
- 2007. Nitrogen resorption and protein degradation during leaf senescence in Chenopodium album grown in different light and nitrogen conditions. Functional Plant Biology 34: 409–417. , , .
- 2003. Molecular regulation of leaf senescence. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 79–84. .