Leaf life span optimizes annual biomass production rather than plant photosynthetic capacity in an evergreen shrub
Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2010
No claim to original French government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 2, pages 407–416, July 2010
How to Cite
Marty, C., Lamaze, T. and Pornon, A. (2010), Leaf life span optimizes annual biomass production rather than plant photosynthetic capacity in an evergreen shrub. New Phytologist, 187: 407–416. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03290.x
- Issue online: 24 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2010
- Received: 12 February 2010, Accepted: 1 April 2010
- 1995. The advantages of being evergreen. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 402–406. .
- 2005. Optimal photosynthetic characteristics of individual plants in vegetation stands and implications for species coexistence. Annals of Botany 95: 495–506. .
- 2009. Carbon balance of the oldest and most-shaded leaves in a vegetation: a litmus test for canopy models. New Phytologist 183: 1–3. , .
- 1982. The ecology of the leaf life spans. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 229–259. , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 133–260. .
- 1991. Physiological and environmental regulation of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis and transpiration: a model that includes a laminar boundary layer. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 54: 107–136. , , , .
- 1999. Leaf life span and nutrient resorption as determinants of plant nutrient conservation in temperate-arctic regions. New Phytologist 143: 177–189. , , .
- 2003. Decline in photosynthetic nitrogen use efficiency with leaf age and nitrogen resorption as determinants of leaf life span. Journal of Ecology 91: 880–889. , .
- 1983. Nitrogen and photosynthesis in the flag leaf of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Physiology 72: 297–302. .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 2002. Leaf senescence and resorption as mechanisms of maximizing photosynthetic production during canopy development at N limitation. Functional Ecology 16: 727–733. , .
- 1998. Nitrogen-use efficiency from leaf to stand level: clarifying the concept. In: LamberH, PoorterH, van VuurenMMI, eds. Inherent variation in plant growth, physiological mechanisms and ecological consequences. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 515–538. , .
- 2009. Divergent patterns of photosynthetic phosphorus-use efficiency versus nitrogen-use efficiency of tree leaves along nutrient-availability gradients. Journal of Ecology 97: 984–991. , .
- 2004. Interspecific difference in the photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship: patterns, physiological causes, and ecological importance. Journal of Plant Research 117: 481–494. .
- 2005. Leaf canopy as a dynamic system: ecophysiology and optimality in leaf turnover. Annals of Botany 95: 521–533. .
- 1995a. Nutrient limitation in Rhododendron lapponicum, fact or artefact? Oikos 73: 269–271. .
- 1995b. Resource allocation in relation to leaf retention time of the wintergreen Rhododendron lapponicum. Ecology 76: 475–485. .
- 1994a. Photosynthetic capacity and photosynthetic nutrient-use efficiency of Rhododendron lapponicum leaves as related to nutrient status, leaf age and branch reproductive status. Functional Ecology 8: 694–700. .
- 1994b. The significance of internal nutrient cycling in branches for growth and reproduction of Rhododendron lapponicum. Oikos 70: 191–200. .
- 1991. A cost–benefit analysis of leaf habit and leaf longevity of trees and their geographical pattern. American Naturalist 138: 1250–1263. .
- 1997. Decline of photosynthetic capacity with leaf age in relation to leaf longevities for five tropical canopy tree species. American Journal of Botany 85: 702–708. , , .
- 2003. Uncoupling of nitrogen requirements for spring growth from root uptake in a young evergreen shrub (Rhododendron ferrugineum). New Phytologist 159: 637–644. , , .
- 2009. Endogenous sink-source interactions and soil nitrogen regulate leaf life-span in an evergreen shrub. New Phytologist 183: 1114–1123. , , .
- 2003. Photosynthetic capacity, integrated over the lifetime of a leaf, is predicted to be independent of leaf longevity in some tree species. New Phytologist 159: 203–211. , .
- 2005. Dynamics of leaf area and nitrogen in the canopy of an annual herb, Xanthium canadense. Oecologia 143: 517–526. , , .
- 2006. Leaf lifespan and lifetime carbon balance of individual leaves in a stand of an annual herb, Xanthium canadense. New Phytologist 172: 104–116. , , .
- 2008. Does leaf shedding increase the whole-plant carbon gain despite some nitrogen being lost with shedding? New Phytologist 178: 617–624. , , .
- 1985. La végétation de la chaine alpine dans l’espace montagnard européen. Paris, France: Masson. .
- 2002. Do mature leaves provide a net source of nitrogen supporting shoot growth in Rhododendron ferrugineum? New Phytologist 154: 99–105. , , .
- 1998. Photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency of species that differ inherently in specific leaf area. Oecologia 116: 26–37. , .
- 2007. Nitrogen resorption and photosynthetic activity over leaf life span in an evergreen shrub, Rhododendron ferrugineum, in a subalpine environment. New Phytologist 175: 301–310. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. http://www.R-project.org . Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1991a. Leaf development and season influence the relationships between leaf nitrogen, leaf mass per area, and photosynthesis in maple and oak trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 251–259. , , .
- 2009. Controls on declining carbon balance with leaf age among 10 woody species in Australian woodland: do leaves have zero daily net carbon balances when they die? New Phytologist 183: 153–166. , , , , , , .
- 1991b. Leaf lifespan as a determinant of leaf structure and function among 23 Amazonian tree species. Oecologia 86: 16–24. , , , .
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation of leaf, plant, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1996. A revised land surface parameterization (SiB2) for atmospheric GCMs. Part I: model formulation. Journal of Climate 9: 676–705. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Uptake, demand and internal cycling of nitrogen in saplings of Mediterranean Quercus species. Oecologia 136: 28–36. , .
- 2004. Photosynthesis or persistence: Nitrogen allocation in leaves of evergreen and deciduous Quercus species. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1047–1054. , , .
- 2000. Trade-offs between the persistence of foliage and productivity in two Pinus species. Oecologia 124: 487–494. , .
- 2004. Evergreen trees do not maximize instantaneous photosynthesis. Trends in Plant Science 9: 270–274. , .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , , .
- 2000. The time value of leaf area. The American Naturalist 155: 649–656. , , .