Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 and warming on nitrogen cycling in a semiarid grassland
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2010
No claim to original US government works. Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 187, Issue 2, pages 426–437, July 2010
How to Cite
Dijkstra, F. A., Blumenthal, D., Morgan, J. A., Pendall, E., Carrillo, Y. and Follett, R. F. (2010), Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 and warming on nitrogen cycling in a semiarid grassland. New Phytologist, 187: 426–437. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03293.x
- Issue online: 24 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2010
- Received: 1 March 2010, Accepted: 5 April 2010
- 2006. Short-term uptake of 15N by a grass and soil micro-organisms after long-term exposure to elevated CO2. Plant and Soil 280: 91–99. , , .
- 2008. Effects of temperature and fertilization on nitrogen cycling and community composition of an urban lawn. Global Change Biology 14: 2119–2131. , , , .
- 2009. Carbon addition interacts with water availability to reduce invasive forb establishment in a semi-arid grassland. Biological Invasions 11: 1281–1290. .
- 1985. Chloroform fumigation and the release of soil nitrogen: a rapid direct extraction method to measure microbial biomass nitrogen in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 17: 837–842. , , , .
- 1996. Simultaneous measurement of soil microbial nitrogen, carbon, and carbon isotope ratio. Soil Science Society of America Journal 60: 1787–1791. , .
- 1997. Regional and temporal variation in net primary production and nitrogen mineralization in grasslands. Ecology 78: 1330–1340. , , .
- 2008. Soil organic matter and nutrient dynamics of shortgrass steppe ecosystems. In: LauenrothWK, BurkeIC, eds. Ecology of the shortgrass steppe. A long-term perspective. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 306–341. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Assessment of grassland ecosystem responses to atmospheric change using linked plant-soil process models. Ecological Applications 7: 802–827. , .
- 2006. Interactions between plant growth and soil nutrient cycling under elevated CO2: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 12: 2077–2091. , , , , .
- 2007. How do elevated [CO2], warming, and reduced precipitation interact to affect soil moisture and LAI in an old field ecosystem? Plant and Soil 301: 255–266. , , , , .
- 1993. Evidence of a feedback mechanism limiting plant response to elevated carbon dioxide. Nature 364: 616–617. , , , .
- 2008. Long-term enhancement of N availability and plant growth under elevated CO2 in a semi-arid grassland. Functional Ecology 22: 975–982. , , , , , .
- 2007. Plant diversity, CO2, and N influence inorganic and organic N leaching in grasslands. Ecology 88: 490–500. , , , , .
- 2005. Responses of grassland production to single and multiple global environmental changes. PLOS Biology 3: 1829–1837. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Long term CO2 enrichment stimulates N-mineralisation and enzyme activities in calcareous grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 35: 965–972. , , .
- 2002. Regional patterns of decomposition and primary production rates in the US Great Plains. Ecology 83: 320–327. , , .
- 2007. Increases in nitrogen uptake rather than nitrogen-use efficiency support higher rates of temperate forest productivity under elevated CO2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 14014–14019. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Role of N2-fixation in constructed old-field communities under different regimes of [CO2], temperature, and water availability. Ecosystems 11: 125–137. , , , , , .
- 2004. The effect of interspecific competition on conifer seedling growth and nitrogen availability measured using ion-exchange membranes. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 754–761. , , .
- 1995. Global warming and soil microclimate: results from a meadow-warming experiment. Ecological Applications 5: 132–150. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Warming prevents the elevated CO2-induced reduction in available soil nitrogen in a temperate, perennial grassland. Global Change Biology 14: 1018–1024. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen limitation of microbial decomposition in a grassland under elevated CO2. Nature 409: 188–191. , , , , .
- 2005. Plant and microbial N acquisition under elevated atmospheric CO2 in two mesocosm experiments with annual grasses. Global Change Biology 11: 213–223. , , , .
- 1997. Stimulation of grassland nitrogen cycling under carbon dioxide enrichment. Oecologia 109: 149–153. , , , , .
- 2007. The effects of Glycine max and Helianthus annuus on nutrient availability in two soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39: 2160–2163. , , .
- 2008. Infrared heater arrays for warming ecosystem field plots. Global Change Biology 14: 309–320. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Predominant role of water in regulating soil and microbial respiration and their responses to climate change in a semiarid grassland. Global Change Biology 15: 184–195. , , .
- 1997. Experimentally increased soil temperature causes release of nitrogen at a boreal forest catchment in southern Norway. Global Change Biology 3: 13–21. , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Conservation of nitrogen increases with precipitation across a major grassland gradient in the Central Great Plains of North America. Oecologia 159: 571–581. , , .
- 1993. Global climate change and terrestrial net primary production. Nature 363: 234–240. , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal performance of the miniFACE (Free Air CO2 Enrichment) system on bog ecosystems in northern and central Europe. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 66: 107–127. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. A generalized model of the effects of grazing by large herbivores on grassland community structure. American Naturalist 132: 87–106. , , .
- 2008. Plant production responses to rising atmospheric CO2 and warming in native semiarid grassland in Wyoming, USA. In: LiuJ, HouX, LuX, WangY, GaoH, WangM, LongR, WangK, LiX, eds. Proceedings of the 2008 International Grassland Congress/International Rangeland Congress, Volume I. Hohhot, China: Guangdong People’s Publishing House, 895. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Soil-atmosphere exchange of CH4, CO2, NOx, and N2O in the Colorado shortgrass steppe under elevated CO2. Plant and Soil 240: 201–211. , , , , .
- 2008. Soil-atmosphere exchange of trace gases in the Colorado shortgrass steppe. In: LauenrothWK, BurkeIC, eds. Ecology of the shortgrass steppe. A long-term perspective. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 342–372. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A link between plant diversity, elevated CO2 and soil nitrate. Oecologia 127: 540–548. , , , , , .
- 2007. Projected ecosystem impact of the prairie heating and CO2 enrichment experiment. New Phytologist 174: 823–834. , , , .
- 2004. Below-ground process responses to elevated CO2 and temperature: a discussion of observations, measurement methods, and models. New Phytologist 162: 311–322. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Simulated carbon sink response of shortgrass steppe, tallgrass prairie and forest ecosystems to rising [CO2], temperature and nitrogen input. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB 1004, doi: 1010.1029/2004GB002226. , , , .
- 2006. Carbon-nitrogen interactions in terrestrial ecosystems in response to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 611–636. , , .
- GCTE-NEWS. 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126: 543–562. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Soil solution chemistry and element fluxes in three European heathlands and their responses to warming and drought. Ecosystems 7: 638–649. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Soil solution and extractable soil nitrogen response to climate change in two boreal forest ecosystems. Biology and Fertility of Soils 41: 257–261. .
- 2009. Impacts of an anomalously warm year on soil nitrogen availability in experimentally manipulated intact tallgrass prairie ecosystems. Global Change Biology 15: 888–900. , , , , , .
- 2007. Responses of soil respiration to elevated CO2, air warming, and changing soil water availability in an old-field grassland. Global Change Biology 13: 2411–2424. , , , .
- 2007. Atmospheric CO2 and O3 alter the flow of 15N in developing forest ecosystems. Ecology 88: 2630. , , .