Epigenetic differentiation and relationship to adaptive genetic divergence in discrete populations of the violet Viola cazorlensis
Article first published online: 20 MAY 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Amazonian rain forests and drought’
Volume 187, Issue 3, pages 867–876, August 2010
How to Cite
Herrera, C. M. and Bazaga, P. (2010), Epigenetic differentiation and relationship to adaptive genetic divergence in discrete populations of the violet Viola cazorlensis. New Phytologist, 187: 867–876. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03298.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 20 MAY 2010
- Received: 7 March 2010, Accepted: 12 April 2010
- 2007. Epigenetic inheritance in rice plants. Annals of Botany 100: 205–217. , , , , , , .
- 2003. DISTLM forward: a FORTRAN computer program to calculate a distance-based multivariate analysis for a linear model using forward selection. Auckland, New Zealand: Department of Statistics, University of Auckland.
- 2001. Surveying CpG methylation at 5′-CCGG in the genomes of rice cultivars. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 31–39. .
- 2001. Population genomics: genome-wide sampling of insect populations. Annual Review of Entomology 46: 441–469. , , , .
- 2007. Statistical analysis of amplified fragment length polymorphism data: a toolbox for molecular ecologists and evolutionists. Molecular Ecology 16: 3737–3758. , , .
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecology Letters 11: 106–115. , , .
- 2008. Impact of amplified fragment length polymorphism size homoplasy on the estimation of population genetic diversity and the detection of selective loci. Genetics 179: 539–554. , , .
- 2002. Analysis of DNA methylation in Arabidopsis thaliana based on methylation-sensitive AFLP markers. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 268: 543–552. , , .
- 1999. An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry. Nature 401: 157–161. , , .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131: 479–491. , , .
- 2008. Variation in cytosine methylation in Clementine mandarin cultivars. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 83: 833–839. , , , , , , .
- 1998a. DNA methylation and the promotion of flowering by vernalization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5824–5829. , , , , .
- 1998b. DNA methylation in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 223–247. , , , .
- 1996. Reduced DNA methylation in Arabidopsis thaliana results in abnormal plant development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 8449–8454. , , .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180: 977–993. , .
- 2006. Musa methylated DNA sequences associated with tolerance to Mycosphaerella fijiensis toxins. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 24: 33–43. , , .
- 2007. Epigenetic inheritance in plants. Nature 447: 418–424. , .
- 1990. The adaptedness of the floral phenotype in a relict endemic, hawkmoth-pollinated violet. 2. Patterns of variation among disjunct populations. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 40: 275–291. .
- 1993. Selection on floral morphology and environmental determinants of fecundity in a hawk moth-pollinated violet. Ecological Monographs 63: 251–275. .
- 2008. Population-genomic approach reveals adaptive floral divergence in discrete populations of a hawk moth-pollinated violet. Molecular Ecology 17: 5378–5390. , .
- 2009. Quantifying the genetic component of phenotypic variation in unpedigreed wild plants: tailoring genomic scan for within-population use. Molecular Ecology 18: 2602–2614. , .
- 2009. Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: prevalence, mechanisms, and implications for the study of heredity and evolution. Quarterly Review of Biology 84: 131–176. , .
- 2009. Assessing the impact of transgenerational epigenetic variation on complex traits. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000530, doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1000530. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Epialleles via DNA methylation: consequences for plant evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 309–314. , .
- 2006. Intraspecific DNA methylation polymorphism in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Journal of Heredity 97: 444–450. , , , .
- 2008. Utility of the methylation-sensitive amplified polymorphism (MSAP) marker for detection of DNA methylation polymorphism and epigenetic population structure in a wild barley species (Hordeum brevisubulatum). Ecological Research 23: 927–930. , , , , , .
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nature Reviews Genetics 4: 981–994. , , , , .
- 2006. A naturally occurring epigenetic mutation in a gene encoding an SBP-box transcription factor inhibits tomato fruit ripening. Nature Genetics 38: 948–952. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Phenotypic instability and epigenetic variability in a diploid potato of hybrid origin, Solanum ruiz-lealii. BMC Plant Biology 9, doi: 10.1186/1471-2229-9-21. , ,
- 1994. Effect of site-specific modification on restriction endonucleases and DNA modification methyltransferases. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 3640–3659. , , .
- 2007. Almost forgotten or latest practice? AFLP applications, analyses and advances Trends in Plant Science 12: 106–117. , .
- 2004. Analysis of DNA methylation during germination of pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) seeds using methylation-sensitive amplification polymorphism (MSAP). Plant Science 166: 169–178. , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetics and plant evolution. New Phytologist 168: 81–91. , .
- 1997. Differences in DNA methylation patterns are detectable during the dimorphic transition of fungi by amplification of restriction polymorphisms. Molecular and General Genetics 253: 703–710. , , .
- 2006. Inherited epigenetic variation – revisiting soft inheritance. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 395–401. .
- 2002. The control of natural variation in cytosine methylation in Arabidopsis. Genetics 162: 355–363. , .
- 2008. Brassica oleracea displays a high level of DNA methylation polymorphism. Plant Science 174: 61–70. , , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of DNA methylation related to rice adult plant resistance to bacterial blight based on methylation-sensitive AFLP (MSAP) analysis. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 273: 484–490. , , , .
- 2003. Statistical significance for genomewide studies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 9440–9445. , .
- 2006. DNA methylation in plants. In: DoerflerW, BöhmP, eds. DNA methylation: basic mechanisms. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 67–122. .
- 2005. Challenges for identifying functionally important genetic variation: the promise of combining complementary research strategies. Molecular Ecology 14: 3623–3642. , .
- 2007. Epigenetic natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 5: 1617–1629. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions. New Phytologist 185: 1108–1118. , , , .
- 1999. Patterns of cytosine methylation in an elite rice hybrid and its parental lines, detected by a methylation-sensitive amplification polymorphism technique. Molecular and General Genetics 261: 439–446. , , , .
- 2008. The epigenetic landscape of plants. Science 320: 489–492. .
- 1999. Estimating population structure in diploids with multilocus dominant DNA markers. Molecular Ecology 8: 907–913. .
- 2007. Genome-wide analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana DNA methylation uncovers an interdependence between methylation and transcription. Nature Genetics 39: 61–69. , , , , .