Link between continuous stem radius changes and net ecosystem productivity of a subalpine Norway spruce forest in the Swiss Alps
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Amazonian rain forests and drought’
Volume 187, Issue 3, pages 819–830, August 2010
How to Cite
Zweifel, R., Eugster, W., Etzold, S., Dobbertin, M., Buchmann, N. and Häsler, R. (2010), Link between continuous stem radius changes and net ecosystem productivity of a subalpine Norway spruce forest in the Swiss Alps. New Phytologist, 187: 819–830. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03301.x
- Issue online: 19 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2010
- Received: 12 March 2010, Accepted: 19 April 2010
- 2001. Stem diameter variations and cold hardiness in walnut trees. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2135–2142. , , .
- 2000. Estimates of the annual net carbon and water exchange of forests: the EUROFLUX methodology. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 113–175. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Horizontal and vertical CO2 advection in a sloping forest. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 108: 397–417. , , .
- 2003. Assessing the eddy covariance technique for evaluating carbon dioxide exchange rates of ecosystems: past, present and future. Global Change Biology 9: 479–492. .
- 2001. Factors controlling long- and short-term sequestration of atmospheric CO2 in a mid-latitude forest. Science 293: 1688–1691. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Net CO2 and H2O fluxes of terrestrial ecosystems. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13: 751–760. , .
- 2005. The control of stomata by water balance. New Phytologist 168: 275–292. .
- 2006. Additional term in the Webb–Pearman–Leuning correction due to surface heating from an open-path gas analyzer. Proceedings of 27th Annual Conference of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, San Diego, California, pp. 1–13. , , , .
- 2008. Addressing the influence of instrument surface heat exchange on the measurements of CO2 flux from open-path gas analyzers. Global Change Biology 14: 1854–1876. , , , , .
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level C-14 pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , , .
- 2002. Stem and branch respiration of beech: from tree measurements to estimations at the stand level. New Phytologist 153: 159–172. , , , , .
- 2005. Experimental analysis of the role of water and carbon in tree stem diameter variations. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 135–144. , , , , .
- 2007. Using simple causal modeling to understand how water and temperature affect daily stem radial variation in trees. Tree Physiology 27: 1125–1136. , , , .
- 1995. A cospectral correction model for measurement of turbulent NO2 flux. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 74: 321–340. , .
- 2009. Whole-ecosystem labile carbon production in a north temperate deciduous forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1531–1540. , , , , .
- 2008. Multi-year convergence of biometric and meteorological estimates of forest carbon storage. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 158–170. , , , , .
- 1996. Measurements of carbon sequestration by long-term eddy covariance – methods and a critical evaluation of accuracy. Global Change Biology 2: 169–182. , , , , .
- 2008. Seasonal dynamics of phloem and xylem formation in silver fir and Norway spruce as affected by drought. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 55: 538–543. , .
- 2009. Number of cells in xylem, phloem and dormant cambium in Silver fir (Abies alba), in trees of different vitality. IAWA Journal 30: 121–133. , , .
- 2005. Objective threshold determination for nighttime eddy flux filtering. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 128: 179–197. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Eddy covariance flux measurements in the complex terrain of an Alpine valley in Switzerland. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 127: 449–467. , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2009. Comparison of net CO2 fluxes measured with open- and closed-path infrared gas analyzers in urban complex environment. Boreal Environment Research 14: 499–514. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A simple parameterisation for flux footprint predictions. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 112: 503–523. , , , .
- 2003. Large carbon uptake by an unmanaged old deciduous forest in Central Germany. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 118: 151–167. , , , .
- 2005. Carbon flux and growth in mature deciduous forest trees exposed to elevated CO2. Science 309: 1360–1362. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Physiological plant ecology – ecophysiology and stress physiology of functional groups. Berlin: Springer. .
- 2009. The trade-off between growth rate and yield in microbial communities and the consequences for under-snow soil respiration in a high elevation coniferous forest. Biogeochemistry 95: 23–35. , , , .
- 1994. On the temperature dependence of soil respiration. Functional Ecology 8: 315–332. , .
- 1965. An analysis of irreversible plant cell elongation. Journal of Theoretical Biology 8: 264–275. .
- 2008. Quality control of CarboEurope flux data – Part II: Inter-comparison of eddy-covariance software. Biogeosciences 5: 451–462. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Embolism formation during freezing in the wood of Picea abies. Plant Physiology 143: 60–67. , , , .
- 2006. Winter forest soil respiration controlled by climate and microbial community composition. Nature 439: 711–714. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Climatic influences on net ecosystem CO2 exchange during the transition from wintertime carbon source to springtime carbon sink in a high-elevation, subalpine forest. Oecologia 146: 130–147. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Fruit development, not GPP, drives seasonal variation in NPP in a tropical palm plantation. Tree Physiology 28: 1661–1674. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Through the eye of the needle: a review of isotope approaches to quantify microbial processes mediating soil carbon balance. New Phytologist 184: 19–33. , , .
- 2004. Stomatal limitation to CO2 assimilation and down-regulation of photosynthesis in Quercus ilex resprouts in response to slowly imposed drought. Tree Physiology 24: 813–822. , , .
- 2009. Why is marsh productivity so high? New insights from eddy covariance and biomass measurements in a Typha marsh. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 159–168. , .
- 2006. On linking interannual tree ring variability with observations of whole-forest CO2 flux. Global Change Biology 12: 1378–1389. , , , .
- 2008. Impact of past and present land-management on the C-balance of a grassland in the Swiss Alps. Global Change Biology 14: 2613–2625. , , , , .
- 2005. Effect of land management on ecosystem carbon fluxes at a subalpine grassland site in the Swiss Alps. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 80: 187–203. , , , .
- 2008. Critical temperatures for xylogenesis in conifers of cold climates. Global Ecology and Biogeography 17: 696–707. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Footprint modeling for vegetation atmosphere exchange studies: a review and perspective. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 159–183. .
- 2010. Assimilation exceeds respiration sensitivity to drought: a FLUXNET synthesis. Global Change Biology 16: 657–670. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Validation of a dynamic stem diameter variation model and the resulting seasonal changes in calibrated parameter values. Ecological Modelling 218: 247–259. , , .
- 2006. A mathematical model linking tree sap flow dynamics to daily stem diameter fluctuations and radial stem growth. Tree Physiology 26: 257–273. , , , .
- 2009. Biosphere–atmosphere exchange of CO2 in relation to climate: a cross-biome analysis across multiple time scales. Biogeosciences 6: 2297–2312. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of abiotic and biotic soil (CO2)-C-13 effluxes after in situ (CO2)-C-13 pulse labelling of a boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 183: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The timing of spring rehydration and its relation with the onset of wood formation in black spruce. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1403–1409. , , , , .
- 1980. Correction of flux measurements for density effects due to heat and water-vapor transfer. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 106: 85–100. , , .
- 2002. Midday stomatal closure in Norway spruce – reactions in the upper and lower crown. Tree Physiology 22: 1125–1136. , , .
- 2000. Frost-induced reversible shrinkage of bark of mature, subalpine conifers. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 102: 213–222. , .
- 2001. Dynamics of water storage in mature, subalpine Picea abies: temporal and spatial patterns of change in stem radius. Tree Physiology 21: 561–569. , .
- 2001. Link between diurnal stem radius changes and tree water relations. Tree Physiology 21: 869–877. , , .
- 2007. Stomatal regulation by microclimate and tree water relations: interpreting ecophysiological field data with a hydraulic plant model. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2113–2131. , , .
- 2006. Intra-annual radial growth and water relations of trees – implications towards a growth mechanism. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1445–1459. , , , .
- 2005. Modeling tree water deficit from microclimate: an approach to quantifying drought stress. Tree Physiology 25: 147–156. , , .