Effect of 7 yr of experimental drought on vegetation dynamics and biomass storage of an eastern Amazonian rainforest
Article first published online: 9 JUN 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Amazonian rain forests and drought’
Volume 187, Issue 3, pages 579–591, August 2010
How to Cite
da Costa, A. C. L., Galbraith, D., Almeida, S., Portela, B. T. T., da Costa, M., de Athaydes Silva Junior, J., Braga, A. P., de Gonçalves, P. H. L., de Oliveira, A. A., Fisher, R., Phillips, O. L., Metcalfe, D. B., Levy, P. and Meir, P. (2010), Effect of 7 yr of experimental drought on vegetation dynamics and biomass storage of an eastern Amazonian rainforest. New Phytologist, 187: 579–591. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03309.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 9 JUN 2010
- Received: 27 December 2009, Accepted: 24 March 2010
- 1990. Adaptations and responses to drought in Quercus species of North America. Tree Physiology 7: 227–238. .
- 2009. Temperature sensitivity of drought-induced tree mortality portends increased regional die-off under global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7063–7066. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of the 1997–98 El Nino drought on rain forests of mount Kinabalu, Borneo. Journal of Tropical Ecology 18: 215–230. , .
- 2006. Forest understory fire in the Brazilian Amazon in ENSO and non-ENSO years: area burned and committed carbon emissions. Earth Interactions 10: 1–17. Paper 6. , , .
- 2008. Interactions between rainfall, deforestation and fires during recent years in the Brazilian Amazonia. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 363: 1779–1785. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Comparison of formulae for biomass content determination in a tropical forest site in the state of Pará, Brazil. Forest Ecology and Management 117: 43–52. , , .
- 2004. Variation in wood density determines spatial patterns in Amazonian forest biomass. Global Change Biology 10: 545–562. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The role of ecosystem-atmosphere interactions in simulated Amazonian precipitation decrease and forest dieback under global climate warming. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 78: 157–175. , , , , , .
- 2008. Drought effects on litterfall, wood production and belowground carbon cycling in an Amazon forest: results of a throughfall reduction experiment. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 363: 1839–1848. , , , , , .
- 1997. Estimating biomass and biomass change of tropical forests: a primer. Rome, Italy: United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO Forestry Paper 134. .
- 2008. Floristic and functional affiliations of woody plants with climate in western Amazonia. Journal of Biogeography 35: 939–950. , , , .
- 2002. Seasonality in CO2 and H2O flux at an eastern Amazonian rain forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 8076. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Combustion completeness in a rainforest clearing experiment in Manaus, Brazil. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 13199–13915. , , , .
- 2001. Tree damage, allometric relationships, and above-ground net primary production in central Amazon forest. Forest Ecology and Management 152: 73–84. , , , .
- 2005. Tree allometry and improved estimation of carbon stocks and balance in tropical forests. Oecologia 145: 87–99. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Error propagation and scaling for tropical forest biomass estimates. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 359: 409–420. , , , , , .
- 1999. Positive feedbacks in the fire dynamic of closed canopy tropical forests. Science 284: 1832–1835. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Tropical Forest Census Plots. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, and R. G. Landes Company: Georgetown, Texas.
- 1995. Mortality-rates of 205 neotropical tree and shrub species and the impact of a severe drought. Ecological Monographs 65: 419–439. , , .
- 2000. Combined effects of deforestation and doubled atmospheric CO2 concentrations on the climate of Amazonia. Journal of Climate 13: 18–34. , .
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model. Nature 408: 184–187. , , , , .
- 2007. Drought sensitivity shapes species distribution patterns in tropical forests. Nature 447: 80–82. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Wood density for estimating forest biomass in Brazilian Amazonia. Forest Ecology and Management 90: 59–87. .
- 2010. Assessing uncertainties in a second-generation dynamic vegetation model due to ecological scale limitations. New Phytologist, doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03340.x. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The response of an eastern Amazonian rain forest to drought stress: results and modelling analyses from a throughfall exclusion experiment. Global Change Biology 13: 2361–2378. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Evidence from Amazonian forests is consistent with isohydric control of leaf water potential. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 151–165. , , , , .
- 2009. A 10-year decrease in plant species richness on a neotropical inselberg: detrimental effects of global warming? Global Change Biology 15: 2360–2374. , , , .
- 2010. Multiple mechanisms of Amazonian forest biomass losses in three Dynamic Global Vegetation Models (DGVMs) under climate change. New Phytologist, doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03350.x. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2006. Scaling of angiosperm xylem structure with safety and efficiency. Tree Physiology 26: 689–701. , , , .
- 1998. Biomassa da parte aérea da vegetação da Floresta Tropical Úmida de Terra-Firme da Amazônia Brasileira. Acta Amazônica 28: 153–166. , , , , .
- 2003. The US long term ecological research program. BioScience 53: 21–32. , , , , .
- 2003. Regional feedbacks among fire, climate, and tropical deforestation. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108 (D23): 4721. , , .
- 2007. Modelling the known and unknown plant biodiversity of the Amazon basin. Journal of Biogeography 34: 1400–1411. .
- 2001. The spatial distribution of forest biomass in the Brazilian Amazon: a comparison of estimates. Global Change Biology 7: 731–746. , , , .
- 2004. On misinterpretations of pseudoreplication and related matters: a reply to Oksanen. Oikos 104: 591–597. .
- 2001. Biomass estimation in the Tapajós national forest, Brazil – examination of sampling and allometric uncertainties. Forest Ecology and Management 154: 371–382. , , .
- 2009. Tolerance to low leaf water status of tropical tree seedlings is related to drought performance and distribution. Functional Ecology 23: 93–102. , , , , , .
- 2001. Positive feedbacks among forest fragmentation, drought, and climate change in the Amazon. Conservation Biology 15: 1529–1535. , .
- 1984. Catastrophic drought and fire in Borneo tropical rain forest associated with 1982–1983 El Nino southern oscillation event. In: PranceGT, ed. Tropical rain forest and world atmosphere. New York, NY, USA: AAAS, 75–102. , .
- 2009. Poor methodology for predicting large-scale tree die-off. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E106. , , , .
- 2004. Tropical forest tree mortality, recruitment and turnover rates: calculation, interpretation and comparison when census intervals vary. Journal of Ecology 92: 929–944. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Rainfall and its seasonality over the Amazon in the 21st century as assessed by the coupled models for the IPCC AR4. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 111: D02111. , , .
- 1970. Effects of forest cutting and herbicide treatment on nutrient budgets in the Hubbard Brook watershed-ecosystem. Ecological Monographs 40: 23–47. , , , , .
- 1999. Estação Cientifica Ferreira Penna. Belém, Brazil: CNPq/Museu Paraense Emı′lio Goeldi, 151. , .
- 2009a. Exploring the likelihood and mechanism of a climate-change induced dieback of the Amazon rainforest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 49: 20610–20615. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Comprehensive assessment of carbon productivity, allocation and storage in three Amazonian forests. Global Change Biology 15: 1255–1274. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The regional variation of aboveground live biomass in old-growth Amazonian forests. Global Change Biology 12: 1107–1138. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the western United States. Science 323: 521–524. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The effects of drought on Amazonian rain forests. In: GashJ, KellerM, BustamanteM, Silva DiasP, eds. Amazonia and Global Change. Geophysics Monograph Series . Washington, DC, USA: AGU, vol. 186, pp 429–449. , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. The fate of assimilated carbon during drought: impacts on respiration in Amazon rainforests. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 363: 1849–1855. , , , .
- 2009. Measuring tropical forest carbon allocation and cycling: RAINFOR field manual. http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/projects/rainfor/pages/manuals_eng.html , , , , , .
- 2000. Impact of severe drought associated with the 1997–1998 El Nino in a tropical forest in Sarawak. Journal of Tropical Ecology 16: 355–367. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The effects of partial throughfall exclusion on canopy processes, aboveground production and biogeochemistry of an Amazon forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: D20. , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mortality of large trees and lianas following experimental drought in an Amazon forest. Ecology 88: 2259–2269. , , , , .
- 2008. Estimates of forest biomass in the Brazilian Amazon: new allometric equations and adjustments to biomass from wood-volume inventories. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 1853–1867. , , , , .
- 2009. Integrating plant-soil interactions into global carbon cycle models. Journal of Ecology 97: 851–863. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Drought sensitivity of the Amazon rainforest. Science 323: 1344–1347. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Drought-mortality relationships for tropical forests. New Phytologist, doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03359.x , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Micrometeorological and canopy controls of fire susceptibility in a forested Amazon landscape. Ecological Applications 15: 1664–1678. , , .
- 2005. Biomass change in an atlantic tropical moist forest: the ENSO effect in permanent sample plots over a 22-year period. Oecologia 142: 238–246. , , , , .
- 2003. Mineral and organic components in archaeological black earth and yellow latosol in Caxiuanã, Amazon, Brazil. In: TiezziE, BrebbiaCA, UsoJL, eds. Ecosystems and sustainable development. Southampton, UK: WIT Press, 1113–1121. , .
- 2007. Distribution of aboveground live biomass in the Amazon Basin. Global Change Biology 13: 816–837. , , , , .
- 2009. Lack of direct evidence for the carbon-starvation hypothesis to explain drought-induced mortality in trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E68. .
- 2009. Height-related growth declines in ponderosa pine are not due to carbon limitation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 22–30. , .
- 1996. Mortality and recruitment rate evaluations in heterogeneous tropical forests. Journal of Ecology 84: 91–100. , .
- 2004. El Nino droughts and their effects on tree species composition and diversity in tropical rain forests. Oecologia 141: 114–120. .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal patterns of Amazon rainfall – consequences for the planning of agricultural occupation and the protection of primary forests. Ambio 30: 388–396. .
- 2003. A spatial model of tree alpha-diversity and tree density for the Amazon. Biodiversity and Conservation 12: 2255–2277. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Variability among species of stomatal control under fluctuating soil water status and evaporative demand: modelling isohydric and anisohydric behaviours. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 419–432. , .
- 2005. Drought, fire and tree survival in a Borneo rain forest, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Journal of Ecology 93: 191–201. , .
- 1996. Modelling the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum in a Quercus-Acer stand at Harvard Forest: the regulation of stomatal conductance by light, nitrogen and soil/plant hydraulic properties. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 911–927. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Amazonian tree mortality during the 1997 El Nino drought. Conservation Biology 14: 1538–1542. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Global wood density database. Dryad. Identifier: http://hdl.handle.net/10255/dryad.235 , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Size-dependent mortality in a neotropical savanna tree: the role of height-related adjustments in hydraulic architecture and carbon allocation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1456–1466. , , , , , , , , , et al.