A depth-controlled tracer technique measures vertical, horizontal and temporal patterns of water use by trees and grasses in a subtropical savanna
Article first published online: 16 JUN 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘The Ectocarpus genome sequence’
Volume 188, Issue 1, pages 199–209, October 2010
How to Cite
Kulmatiski, A., Beard, K. H., Verweij, R. J. T. and February, E. C. (2010), A depth-controlled tracer technique measures vertical, horizontal and temporal patterns of water use by trees and grasses in a subtropical savanna. New Phytologist, 188: 199–209. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03338.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 16 JUN 2010
- Received: 9 March 2010, Accepted: 10 May 2010
- 1937. Ecology of mixed prairie in west-central Kansas. Ecological Monographs 7: 481–587. .
- Anonymous- 2010. Kruger, Scientific Services, Weather: Kruger National Park. http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/conservation/scientific/weather .
- 2007. Leaf green-up in a semi-arid African savanna – separating tree and grass responses to environmental cues. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 583–594. , .
- 2008. Seasonal patterns in depth of water uptake under contrasting annual and perennial systems in the Corn Belt Region of the Midwestern US. Plant and Soil 308: 69–92. , , , .
- 2004. How plant functional-type, weather, seasonal drought, and soil physical properties alter water and energy fluxes of an oak-grass savanna and an annual grassland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 123: 13–39. , , .
- 1994. Influences of trees on savanna productivity: tests of shade, nutrients, and tree-grass competition. Ecology 75: 922–932. .
- 1995. Localization of tree water uptake in Scots pine and Norway spruce with hydroiogical tracers. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 25: 286–297. , .
- 2005. Negative plant–soil feedback and positive species interaction in a herbaceous plant community. Plant Ecology 181: 269–278. , , , .
- 2003. Defining a plant’s belowground zone of influence. Ecology 84: 2313–2321. , , .
- 2006. Baobab trees (Adansonia) in Madagascar use stored water to flush new leaves but not to support stomatal opening before the rainy season. New Phytologist 169: 549–559. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal patterns of fine-root productivity and turnover in a tropical savanna of northern Australia. Journal of Tropical Ecology 20: 221–224. .
- 1988. Phenology of nine common woody species in semi-arid, deciduous Kalahari Sand vegetation. Vegetation 79: 151–163. .
- 2004. Using stable oxygen isotopes to quantify the water source used for transpiration by native shrubs in the San Luis Valley, Colorado USA. Plant and Soil 260: 225–236. , .
- 2000. Dynamic simulation of tree-grass interactions for global change studies. Ecological Applications 10: 449–469. , , , , , .
- 1993. Isotopic enrichment of water in the woody tissues of plants – implications for plant water source, water-uptake, and other studies which use the stable isotopic composition of cellulose. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 57: 3487–3492. , .
- 2007. Hydrogen isotope fractionation during water uptake by woody xerophytes. Plant and Soil 291: 93–107. , .
- 2002. Calibration and temperature correction of heat dissipation matric potential sensors. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66: 1439–1445. , , , .
- 1996. An integrated biosphere model of land surface processes, terrestrial carbon balance, and vegetation dynamics. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 10: 603–628. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Precipitation pulse use by an invasive woody legume: the role of soil texture and pulse size. Oecologia 144: 618–627. , , , , , .
- 2008. Water economy of Neotropical savanna trees: six paradigms revisited. Tree Physiology 28: 395–404. , , , , , .
- 2005. In-situ application of stable isotope tracers in the rhizosphere of an oak seedling. European Journal of Forest Research 124: 83–86. , , , .
- 2009. Hydraulic redistribution by Protea‘Sylvia’ (Proteaceae) facilitates soil water replenishment and water acquisition by an understorey grass and shrub. Functional Plant Biology 36: 752–760. , , , .
- 2003. Vertical distribution of grass and tree roots in arid ecosystems of Southern Africa: niche differentiation or competition? Journal of Arid Environments 54: 319–325. , , , , .
- 1999. Partitioning of soil water among tree species in a Brazilian Cerrado ecosystem. Tree Physiology 19: 717–724. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Exotic plant communities shift water-use timing in a shrub-steppe ecosystem. Plant and Soil 288: 271–284. , , .
- 1995. Spatial partitioning of the soil-water resource between grass and shrub components in a west African humid savanna. Oecologia 104: 147–155. , , .
- 2007. Evaluation of intergovernmental panel on climate change fourth assessment soil moisture simulations for the second half of the twentieth century. Journal of Geophysical Research. doi: 10.1029/2006JD007455 , , .
- 2004. Below-ground competition between trees and grasses may overwhelm the facilitative effects of hydraulic lift. Ecology Letters 7: 623–631. , , , , .
- 1995. Depth of root activity of coexisting grassland species in relation to N-addition and P-addition, measured using nonradioactive tracers. Journal of Ecology 83: 643–652. , , .
- 2002. Resource-based niches provide a basis for plant species diversity and dominance in arctic tundra. Nature 415: 68–71. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Dynamics of water transport and storage in conifers studied with deuterium and heat tracing techniques. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 105–114. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Tree and grass rooting patterns in an African humid savanna. Journal of Vegetation Science 8: 65–70. , , .
- 2000. Vertical patterns of soil water uptake by plants in a primary forest and an abandoned pasture in the eastern Amazon: an isotopic approach. Plant and Soil 222: 95–107. , , .
- 2001. Allometry of South African woodland trees. Pretoria, South Africa: CSIR, 65. , .
- 2006. Ecohydrology of water-limited environments: a scientific vision. Water Resources Research. doi: 10.1029/2005wr004141 , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Reconstructing plant root area and water uptake profiles. Ecology 85: 1967–1978. , , .
- 2005. Fine root distribution and persistence under field conditions of three co-occurring Great Basin species of different life form. New Phytologist 165: 171–180. , , , , .
- 2003. Deuterium labelling of roots provides evidence of deep water access and hydraulic lift by Pinus nigra in a Mediterranean forest of NE Spain. Environmental and Experimental Botany 49: 201–208. , .
- 1999. A hydrological tracer study of water uptake depth in a Scots pine forest under two different water regimes. Oecologia 119: 452–460. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal and depth variation of soil moisture in a burned open savanna (campo sujo) in central Brazil. Ecological Applications 14: S33–S41. , , , , , .
- 2004. Modifying the ‘pulse-reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water, and plant responses. Oecologia 141: 194–210. , , , .
- 2007. Are fine roots of both shrubs and perennial grasses able to occupy the upper soil layer? A case study in the arid Patagonian Monte with non-seasonal precipitation. Plant and Soil 300: 281–288. , , .
- 2005. Determinants of woody cover in African savannas. Nature 438: 846–849. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Partitioning of root and shoot competition. The American Naturalist 170: 587–601. , .
- 2008a. The shallowest possible water extraction profile: a null model for global root distributions. Vadose Zone Journal 7: 1119–1124. .
- 2008b. Soil depth, plant rooting strategies and species’ niches. New Phytologist 178: 223–225. .
- 2002. Rooting depths, lateral root spreads and below-ground/above-ground allometries of plants in water-limited ecosystems. Journal of Ecology 90: 480–494. , .
- 1997. Tree-grass interations in savannas. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 28: 517–544. , .
- 1998. Downward flux of water through roots (i.e., inverse hydraulic lift) in dry Kalahari sands. Oecologia 115: 460–462. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Deuterium enriched irrigation indicates different forms of rain use in shrub/grass species of the Colorado Plateau. Oecologia 130: 345–355. , , , .
- 2005. Ecohydrological control of deep drainage in arid and semiarid regions. Ecology 86: 277–287. , , , , , , .
- 1935. Root systems in an Illinois prairie. Ecology 16: 178–202. .
- 2005. Long range lateral root activity by neo-tropical savanna trees. Plant and Soil 270: 169–178. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Oxygen isotope ratios between soil water and stem water of trees in pot experiments. Ecological Research 13: 1–5. .
- 2007. A faster plant stem-water extraction method. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 21: 164–168. , .
- 2009. Water relations in a subtropical savanna. PhD thesis, University of Cape Town Rondebosch, Rondebosch, South Africa. .
- 1971. Ecology of tropical and subtropical vegetation. Edinburgh, UK: Oliver and Boyd. .
- 2003. The relationship between phytolith- and plant-water delta O-18 values in grasses. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 67: 1437–1449. , .
- 1997. Spatial and temporal soil moisture resource partitioning by trees and grasses in a temperate savanna, Arizona, USA. Oecologia 112: 156–164. , .
- 2008. Soil hydrological properties regulate grassland ecosystem responses to multifactor global change: a modeling analysis. Journal of Geophysical Research. doi: 10.1029/2007JG000539 , .