MicroRNAs, the epigenetic memory and climatic adaptation in Norway spruce
Article first published online: 17 JUN 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Effectors in plant–microbe interactions’
Volume 187, Issue 4, pages 1154–1169, September 2010
How to Cite
Yakovlev, I. A., Fossdal, C. G. and Johnsen, Ø. (2010), MicroRNAs, the epigenetic memory and climatic adaptation in Norway spruce. New Phytologist, 187: 1154–1169. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03341.x
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 17 JUN 2010
- Received: 14 April 2010, Accepted: 7 May 2010
- 2008. MicroRNA-mediated systemic down-regulation of copper protein expression in response to low copper availability in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 15932–15945. , .
- 2007. Genetic analysis reveals functional redundancy and the major target genes of the Arabidopsis miR159 family. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 16371–16376. , , , , , .
- 2003. A uniform system for microRNA annotation. RNA 9: 277–279. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Modulation of floral development by a gibberellin-regulated microRNA. Development 131: 3357–3365. , , , .
- 2005. Antiquity of microRNAs and their targets in land plants. Plant Cell 17: 1658–1673. , .
- 2008. Evolution of plant microRNAs and their targets. Trends in Plant Science 13: 343–349. , .
- 2004. MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell 116: 281–297. .
- 2009. Origins and mechanisms of miRNAs and siRNAs. Cell 136: 642–655. , .
- 2007. Small RNAs: regulators and guardians of the genome. Journal of Cellular Physiology 213: 412–419. , .
- 2008. Conifers have a unique small RNA silencing signature. RNA 14: 1508–1515. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. High-throughput sequencing of Arabidopsis microRNAs: evidence for frequent birth and death of miRNA genes. PLoS ONE 2: e219. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The miRNA156/157 recognition element in the 3′ UTR of the Arabidopsis SBP box gene SPL3 prevents early flowering by translational inhibition in seedlings. The Plant Journal 49: 683–693. , , , , , .
- 2008. A GAMYB-like gene in tomato and its expression during seed germination. Planta 228: 563–572. , .
- 2008. miRBase: tools for microRNA genomics. Nucleic Acids Research 36(Suppl_1): D154–D158. , , , .
- 2008. The Vienna RNA Websuite. Nucl. Acids Res. 36(Suppl_2): W70–74. , , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of conserved and novel microRNAs and their targets, including a TuMV-induced TIR-NBS-LRR class R gene-derived novel miRNA in Brassica. FEBS Letters 582: 2445–2452. , , , .
- 2005a. Daylength and temperature during seed production interactively affect adaptive performance of Picea abies progenies. New Phytologist 168: 589–596. , , , .
- 2005b. Climatic adaptation in Picea abies progenies is affected by the temperature during zygotic embryogenesis and seed maturation. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1090–1102. , , , , , .
- 2005. MicroRNA biogenesis: coordinated cropping and dicing. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 376–385. .
- 2008. Experimental validation of miRNA targets. Methods 44: 47–54. , , , , , .
- 2008. Timing of bud set in Picea abies is regulated by a memory of temperature during zygotic and somatic embryogenesis. New Phytologist 177: 49–59. , .
- 2007. Repression of AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR10 by microRNA160 is critical for seed germination and post-germination stages. Plant Journal 52: 133–146. , , , , , .
- 2009. Ectopic expression of miR396 suppresses GRF target gene expression and alters leaf growth in Arabidopsis. Physiologia Plantarum 136: 223–236. , , , .
- 2007. MicroRNAs in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) and their association with fusiform rust gall development. Plant Journal 51: 1077–1098. , , , .
- 2006. A naturally occurring epigenetic mutation in a gene encoding an SBP-box transcription factor inhibits tomato fruit ripening. Nature Genetics 38: 948–952. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sweating the small stuff: microRNA discovery in plants. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 17: 139–146. , , , .
- 2005. The Arabidopsis GAMYB-like Genes, MYB33 and MYB65, are microRNA-regulated genes that redundantly facilitate anther development. Plant Cell 17: 705–721. , .
- 2008. AGO1–miR173 complex initiates phased siRNA formation in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 20055–20062. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Comparative analysis of the small RNA transcriptomes of Pinus contorta and Oryza sativa. Genome Research 18: 571–584. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evidence for stage-specific modulation of specific microRNAs (miRNAs) and miRNA processing components in zygotic embryo and female gametophyte of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda). New Phytologist 179: 67–80. , , , .
- 1997. Ectopic expression of oat phytochrome A in hybrid aspen changes critical daylength for growth and prevents cold acclimatization. Plant Journal 12: 1339–1350. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Illuminating the silence: understanding the structure and function of small RNAs. Nature Reviews. Molecular Cell Biology 8: 23–36. .
- 1999. Genetic responses to climate in pinus contorta: niche breadth, climate change, and reforestation. Ecological Monographs 69: 375–407. , , , .
- 2002. Intraspecific responses to climate in Pinus sylvestris. Global Change Biology 8: 912–929. , , , , , .
- 2007. ABA induction of miR159 controls transcript levels of two MYB factors during Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Journal 49: 592–606. , .
- 2007. Comparative analysis of the SBP-box gene families in P. patens and seed plants. Gene 401: 28–37. , , , , .
- 2008. Remembrances of an embryo: long-term effects on phenology traits in spruce. New Phytologist 177: 2–5. , .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: KrawetzS, MisenerS, eds. Bioinformatics Methods and Protocols: Methods in Molecular Biology. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 365–386. , .
- 2006. RNA polymerase II elongation factors Spt4p and Spt5p play roles in transcription elongation by RNA polymerase I and rRNA processing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 12707–12712. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. GAMYB controls different sets of genes and is differentially regulated by microRNA in aleurone cells and anthers. Plant Journal 47: 427–444. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Essential role of MYB transcription factor: PvPHR1 and microRNA: PvmiR399 in phosphorus-deficiency signalling in common bean roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1834–1843. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Temporal regulation of shoot development in Arabidopsis thaliana by miR156 and its target SPL3. Development 133: 3539–3547. , .
- 2009. Characterization and expression profiles of miRNAs in rice seeds. Nucleic Acids Research 37: 916–930. , , .
- 2007. Functional diversity of miRNA in plants. Plant Science 172: 423–432. , , .
- 2009. Computational identification of 48 potato microRNAs and their targets. Computational Biology and Chemistry 33: 84–93. , , , , .
- 2006a. Plant microRNA: a small regulatory molecule with big impact. Developmental Biology 289: 3–16. , , , .
- 2006b. Computational identification of microRNAs and their targets. Computational Biology and Chemistry 30: 395–407. , , , , .
- 2003. Mfold web server for nucleic acid folding and hybridization prediction. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 3406–3415. .