Environmental change without climate change?
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 188, Issue 3, pages 646–651, November 2010
How to Cite
Büntgen, U. and Schweingruber, F. H. (2010), Environmental change without climate change?. New Phytologist, 188: 646–651. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03342.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2010
- 2010. Landsat TM/ETM+ and tree-ring based assessment of spatiotemporal patterns of the autumnal moth (Epirrita autumnata) in northernmost Fennoscandia. Remote Sensing of Environment 114: 637–646. , , .
- 2006. Dendroecology of dwarf shrubs in the high mountains of Norway – A methodological approach. Dendrochronologia 24: 17–27. , , .
- 2007. Ring-width chronologies of the Alpine dwarf shrub Empetrum hermaphroditum from the Norwegian Mountains. IAWA Journal 28: 325–338. , , , .
- 2008. Growth-ring variations of dwarf shrubs reflect regional climate signals in alpine environments rather than topoclimatic differences. Journal of Biogeography 35: 625–636. , , , .
- 2003. Plankton effect on cod recruitment in the North Sea. Nature 426: 661–664. , , , , .
- 2009. Rapid biogeographical plankton shifts in the North Atlantic Ocean. Global Change Biology 15: 1790–1803. , , .
- 2002. Reorganization of North Atlantic marine copepod biodiversity and climate. Science 296: 1692–1694. , , , , .
- 1992. Fennoscandian summers from AD 500: temperature changes on short and long timescales. Climate Dynamics 7: 111–119. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 2929–2941. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Uncertainty estimates in regional and global observed temperature changes: a new dataset from 1850. Journal of Geophysical Research. doi: 10.1029/2005JD006548. , , , ,
- 2005. A 1052-yr tree-ring proxy for Alpine summer temperatures. Climate Dynamics 25: 141–153. , , , , .
- 2007. Growth/climate response of a multi-species tree-ring network in the Western Carpathian Tatra Mountains, Poland and Slovakia. Tree Physiology 27: 689–702. , , , , , .
- 2006. Summer temperature variations in the European Alps, AD 755–2004. Journal of Climate 19: 5606–5623. , , , .
- 2008. Testing for tree-ring divergence in the European Alps. Global Change Biology 14: 2433–2453. , , , , , .
- 1997. Calculating unbiased tree-ring indices for the study of climatic and environmental change. The Holocene 7: 361–370. , .
- 2004. Impact of climate change on marine pelagic phenology and trophic mismatch. Nature 430: 881–884. , .
- 2003. Tests of the RCS method for preserving low-frequency variability in long tree-ring chronologies. Tree-Ring Research 59: 81–98. , , , , .
- 2004. Large-scale treeline changes recorded in Siberia. Geophysical Research Letters 31, L06202, doi: 10.1029/2003GL019178. , .
- 2009. Response to “Late 20th century growth acceleration in greek firs (Abies cephalonica) from Cephalonica Island, Greece: a CO2 fertilization effect? Dendrochronologia 27: 223–227. , , .
- 2008. On the spatiotemporal characteristics of Fennoscandia tree-ring based summer temperature reconstructions. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 91: 1–25. , , , .
- 2008. Tornetra¨sk tree-ring width and density AD 500–2004: a test of climatic sensitivity and a new 1500-year reconstruction of north Fennoscandian summers. Climate Dynamics 31: 843–857. .
- 2002. A 7400-year tree-ring chronology in northern Swedish Lapland: natural climatic variability expressed on annual to millennial timescales. The Holocene 12: 657–665. , , , , , .
- 2010. Improving a tree-ring reconstruction from west-central Scandinavia: 900 years of warm-season temperatures. Climate Dynamics. doi: 10.1007/s00382-010-0783-5. , , .
- 2010. Establishing a missing link: warm summers and winter snow cover promote shrub expansion into alpine tundra in Scandinavia. New Phytologist 186: 890–899. , , .
- 2009. Summer temperature variations in Lapland during the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age relative to natural instability of the thermohaline circulation on multi-decadal and multicentennial scales. Journal of Quaternary Science 24: 450–456. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Extracting long-period climate fluctuations from tree-ring chronologies over timescales of centuries to millennia. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1767–1770. , , , , .
- 2003. Mountain timberlines. Ecology, patchiness and dynamics. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 369.
- 2008. Collapsing population cycles. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23: 79–86. , , .
- 2008. Mushroom fruiting and climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 3811–3814. , , , , , .
- 2008. Linking climate change to lemming cycles. Nature 456: 93–97. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Trophic amplification of climate warming. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B 276: 4095–4103. , .
- 2001. Reconstruction of summer temperatures from tree-rings of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) in coastal northern Norway. The Holocene 11: 41–52. .
- 2003. A composite monthly temperature record from Tornedalen in Northern Sweden, 1802–2002. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1465–1494. , .
- 1990. Dendroclimatological study of prostrate woody plants. In: CookER, KairiukstisLA, eds. Methods of dendrochronology. Applications in the environmental sciences. London, UK: Kluwer, 51–55. .
- 2001. 20th-century climate warming and treelimit rise in the southern Scandes of Sweden. Ambio 30: 72–80. .
- 2002. Rapid recent range-margin rise of tree and shrub species in the Swedish Scandes. Journal of Ecology 90: 68–77. .
- 2009. Dendroclimatology in Fennoscandia – from past accomplishments to future potential. Climate of the Past 6: 93–114. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Climate change and human health: present and future risks. The Lancet 367: 859–869. , , .
- 2008. A “signal-free” approach to dendroclimatic standardisation. Dendrochronologia 26: 71–86. , .
- 2006. The effect of climate and density on individual and population growth of roe deer Capreolus capreolus at northern latitudes – the Lier valley, Norway. Wildlife Biology 12: 321–329. , .
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421: 37–42. , .
- 2005. Impact of regional climate change on human health. Nature 438: 310–317. , , , .
- 1985. White spruce expansion at the tree line and recent climatic change. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 15: 241–251. , .
- 2005. Climate change and distribution shifts in marine fishes. Science 308: 1912–1915. , , , .
- 2001. Annual rings in the xylem of dwarf shrubs and perennial dicotyledonous herbs. Dendrochronologia 19: 115–126. , .
- 2005. Growth rings in herbs and shrubs: life span, age determination and stem anatomy. Forest, Snow and Landscape Research 79: 195–415. , .
- 1993. The upper timberline dynamics during the last 1100 years in the Polar Ural Mountains. Palaeoclimatic Research 9: 195–203. .
- 2002. Ecological effects of climate fluctuations. Science 297: 1292–1296. , , , , , .
- 2004. Patterns and uncertainties of species’ range shifts under climate change. Global Change Biology 10: 2020–2027. .
- 1999. Influence of snowfall and melt timing on tree growth in subarctic Eurasia. Nature 400: 149–151. , , , , .
- 1994. Salix arctica (PALL.): its potential for dendroclimatological studies in the high arctic. Dendrochronologia 12: 11–22. , .