Root cadmium desorption methods and their evaluation with compartmental modeling
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2010
© AAFC (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘The Ectocarpus genome sequence’
Volume 188, Issue 1, pages 280–290, October 2010
How to Cite
Buckley, W. T., Buckley, K. E. and Huang, J. (2010), Root cadmium desorption methods and their evaluation with compartmental modeling. New Phytologist, 188: 280–290. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03354.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2010
- Received: 13 May 2010, Accepted: 17 May 2010
- 2006. The biotic ligand model for plants and metals: technical challenges for field application. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 25: 875–882. , , , , , .
- 1998. SAAM II: simulation, analysis, and modeling software for tracer and pharmacokinetic studies. Metabolism 47: 484–492. , , , , , , .
- 2003a. Accumulation of cadmium by durum wheat roots: bases for citrate-mediated exceptions to the free ion model. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 22: 1155–1161. , .
- 2003b. Cadmium accumulation by durum wheat roots in ligand-buffered hydroponic culture: uptake of Cd–ligand complexes or enhanced diffusion? Canadian Journal of Botany 81: 755–763. , .
- 1983. Cadmium uptake kinetics in intact soybean plants. Plant Pathology 73: 844–848. , , .
- 1986. Compartmental efflux analysis: an evaluation of the technique and its limitations. Plant Physiology 80: 1006–1011. .
- 1993. Cadmium uptake by Lupinus albus (L.): cadmium excretion, a possible mechanism of cadmium tolerance. Journal of Plant Nutrition 16: 1921–1929. , .
- 1998. Cadmium accumulation in crops. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 78: 1–17. , , , .
- 1991. pH and ionic conditions in the apoplast. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 103–128. , .
- 2004. Cadmium uptake and translocation in seedlings of near isogenic lines of durum wheat that differ in grain cadmium accumulation. BMC Plant Biology 4: 4. , .
- 1998a. Characterization of zinc uptake, binding, and translocation in intact seedlings of bread and durum wheat cultivars. Plant Physiology 118: 219–226. , , , , .
- 1998b. Characterization of cadmium binding, uptake, and translocation in intact seedlings of bread and durum wheat cultivars. Plant Physiology 116: 1413–1420. , , , , .
- 1980. Ion exchange properties of roots and ionic interactions within the root apoplasm: their role in ion accumulation by plants. The Botanical Review 46: 75–99. .
- 1996. Physiological characterization of root Zn2+ absorption and translocation to shoots in Zn hyperaccumulator and nonaccumulator species of Thlaspi. Plant Physiology 112: 1715–1722. , , .
- 2001. Physiological evidence for a high-affinity cadmium transporter highly expressed in a Thlaspi caerulescens ecotype. New Phytologist 149: 53–60. , , , , .
- 2000. The cell wall as a barrier to uptake of metal ions in the unicellular green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii (Chlorophyceae). Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 39: 413–419. , .
- 1995. GEOCHEM-PC – a chemical speciation program for IBM and compatible personal computers. In: LoeppertRH, SchawbAP, GoldbergS, eds. Soil chemistry equilibrium and reaction models. Madison, WI, USA: Soil Science Society of America, Special Publication 42, 253–269. , ,
- 2008. Metal accumulation and damage in rice (cv Vialone nano) seedlings exposed to cadmium. Environmental and Experimental Botany 62: 267–278. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Compartmental efflux analysis and removal of extracellular cadmium from roots. Plant Physiology 85: 62–65. .
- 2009. Cadmium uptake by roots: contribution of apoplast and of high- and low-affinity membrane transport systems. Environmental and Experimental Botany 67: 235–242. , , .
- 2010. Contribution of apoplast and symplast to short term nickel uptake by maize and Leptoplax emarginata roots. Environmental and Experimental Botany 68: 99–106. , , , .
- 1996. The mechanism of zinc uptake in plants. Characterisation of the low-affinity system. Planta 198: 39–45. , , , .
- SAAM Institute Inc. 2002a. SAAM II, population kinetics. Version 1.01. Seattle, WA, USA: University of Washington.
- SAAM Institute Inc. 2002b. SAAM II, software application for kinetic analysis. Version 1.0.1. Seattle, WA, USA: University of Washington.
- 2000. Safe levels of cadmium intake to prevent renal toxicity in human subjects. British Journal of Nutrition 84: 791–802. , , .
- 1978. Cd uptake by intact wheat plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 1: 291–296. , , , , .
- 2007. Subcellular localization of cadmium in roots and leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 173: 495–508. , , , , , , .